Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 out of 4 tyres keep leaking air

Groot

This has been the bane of my Focus.

I had all my tyres replaced a couple of years ago shortly after I had bought the Focus (I only do about 2000 miles a year) thinking it would solve the issue of the leaking air. I now can't remember which ones were leaking at the time and if it was all of them. It didn't solve the issue and every ten days or so I would need to top up the air.

Last year, when I had the MOT done, I told the garage about the issue and got them to refit the tyres.

I thought it solved the issue but they're still leaking apart from the the back left one.

Has anyone got a good idea what's going on? I can't remember if the MOT garage replaced the valves but I'm assuming the tyre fitters previously would've replaced them?

Is it possible the wheels themselves are the issue?

Thank you and hope you can help.

Alloy wheels can go porous over the years so it might be the wheels themselves.  Alloy corrosion can also cause the valve seat to become sharp and cut into the valves as well.  Every 10 days seems excessive so should be easy to find the issue.  I assume they're all straight with no dents, cracks or buckles? 

Get a spray bottle with some soapy water and spray it around the valves and the rim beads to see if you can spot any leaks.  I would hope the garage replaced the valves and cleaned the rims before re-seating the tyres specifically due to leaks but you can't assume anything lol.

I'd consider immersing the whole wheel in a deep enough tub of water to see if that gives any clues.

Would it help if I upload some photos of the tyres? I would say that they're not in great condition but not sure if their state would make any difference to the leakage.

Photos aren't going to help really, physical leak test with either soapy water spray or a large tub of water is the only way to confirm where the leak is.

Old tyres don't tend to just leak even if they're cracked and perished on the outside, the cracks don't go all the way through.  

I'll try spraying the area first.

Let's suppose the leaks are coming around the rims. The reason for it would still be unclear wouldn't it?

It might be they didn't clean the wheels properly first (twice) or the wheels are in such a bad condidtion that it doesn't matter how well they clean them.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling I just have to take it to the garage and hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

Roughly how much would another set of wheels cost and to fit if it came down to that?

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club