Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper sprey

diz79

Not sure if this is a known fault, but I have a focus mk2.5 and my washers for front and back dont work properly. Basically if I press the button in or pull it back it does the front....then after a while it goes back to the rear and im stuck on that, then it will go back to the front randomly.

Question im asking is would this be electrical and/or the pump?

Or the switch?

Thanks in advance

Not a common fault.  Sounds like a faulty stalk though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diz79 said:

would this be electrical and/or the pump?

Or the switch?

My guess here would be the other one to Tom: Pump. But it is only a guess.

These washer units work by driving the pump one way for windscreen, and the other way for rear window. Just by reversing the polarity on the two wires to the motor in the pump. There is a little valve in the pump that is pushed over by the pressure from the pump, and blocks the flow to one or the other outlet. That makes all the flow go to one or the other. If this valve sticks, then the result could be what you describe.

Removing the washer tank and checking the voltage applied to the pump could verify whether it is switch or pump. Also I suspect if it is the pump, then then flow will be a bit less if water is coming out of the wrong end, ie rear when switched to front, compared to right end, ie front when switched to front.

I had to replace my washer pump last summer, it had flooded with screenwash due to failed seal between motor and pump. Water and 'lectric do mix, all too well, but don't work when mixed!.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, do you think its a big job or a few hours I may try and do at weekend. If not think I will just do at garage Ive took off on old focus didnt take too long.

Sorry for late reply, do you think its a big job or a few hours I may try and do at weekend. If not think I will just do at garage Ive took off on old focus didnt take too long.
Just gain access behind the arch liner and the pump just pulls off the tank.
Most probably need to take the wheel off for best access.
The seal between the tank and pump is also the filter so I'd take advantage and clean that while you're there.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, Stoney871 said:

The seal between the tank and pump is also the filter so I'd take advantage and clean that while you're there.

Have just been thinking about this over the past couple of days myself - Much thanks! ^_^

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club