Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 6 sp into Fiesta Mk7.5 1.0

Eatonm112

9 minutes ago, Chaz84 said:

A have upgrade springs , shockers , brake disc , brake clippers , gear box diff , clutch ,strut braces ,stripped it out before a even put a power mod on it no point in power mods if you can’t put it to the road lol 😂

LMAO you are right... i thought as long i use it for daily normal drive nothing should happen... as im not a racer and dont use it for track neither... i guess its an option... thanks a lot bro!

No worries bro just remember the was factory built to that spec change one thing best to change it all or it just wears to to nothing a I know trust me lol 😂 first car modding was a disaster lol 😂

• 5 months later...

Hi, was wondering if there is an option to raise the final drive on the ib5 rather than going to all that trouble and cost as i'm not running extra power.   I have a 125 zetec s which i find is terrible when trying to climb very steep hills in second gear down Devon.  I either have to go way too fast than is comfortable to make it up the hill or just go up in 1st gear which is embarrising.  Im thinking raising the revs by 500 rpm in second would be ideal.  I know raising the final drive would reduce fuel economy on the motorway but it's a better compromise  to the problem i have getting up hills.  

I upgraded my front brakes last year to the 280mm ST brakes as i found the standard ones rubbish especially down these steep hills.  I get the feeling Ford didn't get things quite right with the fiesta i.e rubbish brakes and tall gears which i know are for economy.  

* i've just notice you made a mistake in your original post -  4th gear on the Focus 6 Speed (B6G)   is 1.03 x 4.067 = 4.18

Just been doing some digging and seems they put the IB5 in some Focus' but with a 4.25 final drive.  Would this FD gear fit my Fiesta???  Where does it go in the diff???   Am i right in thinking the bigger number means a smaller gear and higher revs at a given speed???  

FORD FOCUS SPECIFICATIONS

hmm just worked out a 4.25 final drive on my ib5 would give me a pretty small 1st gear and does this make the gap between gears larger???  maybe a 4.06 final drive would be better for me if that were possible.  That woud give me a 7.80 total in second gear  rather than the 6.93 i have now.  Would this make enough of a differance in rpm though???

5 hours ago, Splatman said:

* i've just notice you made a mistake in your original post -  4th gear on the Focus 6 Speed (B6G)   is 1.03 x 4.067 = 4.18

Just been doing some digging and seems they put the IB5 in some Focus' but with a 4.25 final drive.  Would this FD gear fit my Fiesta???  Where does it go in the diff???   Am i right in thinking the bigger number means a smaller gear and higher revs at a given speed???  

FORD FOCUS SPECIFICATIONS

I have edited the error thanks for pointing it out.

When I had the Focus 6sp with the 4.067 FD it made the gearing very short and at times 1st gear at low speed would make the car surge / or kangaroo this could have been sorted buy getting the ECU calibration adjusted but it still made the car hard to drive in traffic. I agree that the 5sp that comes with the fiesta is set up for best fuel efficency I can remember towing a light trailer up a hill and kept having to go into 1st as there was slow traffic in front of me.

1st gear IB5 = 12.92:1 (FD 3.61)which is too long / or geared too high. 1st gear Foc 6sp 15.6:1 (FD 4.067) too short. I am running the ratios from a Fiesta ST which = 14.24:1 (FD 3.82)  I have found this great in all situations even towing 500Kg trailer.

I don't have a problem with 1st but second I find too tall and impossible to get up steep hills without reving the f out of it.  ST Box might be the answer then.  Is that a straight swap into the 1.0 or are there mods to be made? 

IB6 special version Gearbox and Slave Cylinder
Ford OE Low Mileage clutch
Ford OE Low Miles Flywheel
Gear Linkage Cables and Lever.
2 Bespoke Driveshafts (remanufactured)
Various Engine and Gearbox Mounting Hardware

im also looking into the st gearbox box but for the cost I might as well sell up and get a st 😂

• 2 months later...

Hi,

@Eatonm112

I've got 2 questions about hals shafts:

-half shafts that U used, are form Focus, or Fiesta ST? I think, that shaft from Fiesta ST may be suitable without any combinations, there is albo IB6 gearbox used

-why U need 2 longer shafts? as You mentioned, this shaft is to long, so why not just shorten them? i can not undresant why 2 pcs are needed.

I suspect just getting an ST180 box, clutch,  mountings, shafts and stuff may be a lot easier, but as STs keeps getting nicked I can't recommend it as it will almost certainly come via someone's car being stolen. Wouldn't want that, especially if it's mine!  

On 10/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, Fatandfurious said:

Hi,

@Eatonm112

I've got 2 questions about hals shafts:

-half shafts that U used, are form Focus, or Fiesta ST? I think, that shaft from Fiesta ST may be suitable without any combinations, there is albo IB6 gearbox used

-why U need 2 longer shafts? as You mentioned, this shaft is to long, so why not just shorten them? i can not undresant why 2 pcs are needed.

Hi 

To do the conversion you need the following from a Fiesta ST / 2 x passenger side drive shafts these are the ones that go into the gear box with out the solid shaft that is supported in a bearing. Also needed is 1 x drivers side shaft this one has a solid shaft that has a support bearing that bolts to the back of the engine block it is the shaft that is supported in the bearing bolted to the back of the engine block that needs 40mm taken from it. The reason you will need 2 x passenger side drive shafts is because the inboard joint will fit into the half shaft that you will need to cut down. 

When i done this conversion I did try to use other parts ie half shafts from Focus diesel etc but they didnt work. If you are going to do this conversion it is best to use the drive shafts from a Fiesta ST as they will take all the power from a 1.0 without issue for many years. Others have mentioned that its an expensive conversion and it is but at the time I couldnt find another solution. Maybe it might be worth looking at the newer Mk 8 fiesta gearbox and drive shafts as they could be a direct fit with no cutting and welding needed.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be easier just to get hold of the uprights and stuff from an ST to go with the gearbox? Seems a waste of driveshafts to use two.and a lot of fuss.

3 hours ago, Marky146 said:

Wouldn't it be easier just to get hold of the uprights and stuff from an ST to go with the gearbox? Seems a waste of driveshafts to use two.and a lot of fuss.

I am not sure what you are trying to get across. Changing the uprights is not going to make the standard ST drive shafts fit to the 1.0 with a 6speed as the original ST drivers side shaft is too long which is why it has to be cut please see pic.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjjcpcqoFiz7B623A and https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrePMeYefyjZjnsQ8

As you can see the shaft bearing hangs out and can't be supported this is why I shortened is by 40mm to allow the bearing to fit back into the bearing carrier on the back of the engine block. Because the shaft is now 40mm shorter the shaft that connects into the hub now needs to be longer which is why you have 2 passenger side shafts as one has to be taken apart and connected into the shortened shaft.

I do wish I have taken many more pictures when I done my conversion but when in a rush and having cancelled 3 days work I was really under a lot of pressure to get my car back on the road as its my only vehicle.

To add in my pictures above it is possible to make an extended bearing carrier plate to support the bearing as it hangs out past the block but when I did the conversion I didnt want to go that route. If you had access to a CNC machine and was good with CAD then its an alternative way to go.

As I have said before its well worth looking at the Mk8 Fiesta 1.0 as it comes with a 6 speed box that I think would bolt up to the engine without issue the drive shafts would need checking to see if they would go into the mk7.5 Fiesta hubs.

Edited by Eatonm112
extra content

Ah, I think I get it now. So basically the 1.0 Litre engine block mating end doesn't sit at the place as th 1.6's so the gearbox is offset slightly in the car as a result. Different mountings and thus different length driveshafts needed. You wouldn't think Ford would do it that way but hey ho. Seems a strange way to design a car but I suppose they'll cast enough mountings to make it viable.

• 4 months later...

Anyone find out if the 6sp box from the newer fiesta is the same as the focus 6sp? My box finally gave up. I have the st gear cables , selector , drive shafts and bearing carrier . So if I got the newer  fiesta box will the st shafts fit the hubs .

• 2 weeks later...

When I tried to get the driveshaft shortened they said can’t do it not safe so had to find another way what I found was that if you split in 2 the mk3 Focus diesel 6speed  d/s driveshaft it fits the bearing Mount without having to be shortened  then add the st p/s driveshaft to it 

On 3/26/2022 at 6:30 PM, 1bat said:

When I tried to get the driveshaft shortened they said can’t do it not safe so had to find another way what I found was that if you split in 2 the mk3 Focus diesel 6speed  d/s driveshaft it fits the bearing Mount without having to be shortened  then add the st p/s driveshaft to it 

The drive shaft has to be shortened by 40mm or it sticks out to far and the bearing will not be secured by the bracket that bolts to the back of the engine. See the pic below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezMFEmTNTqCmDFhAA

Once you have cut the shaft it will need welding back together I now recomend putting a piece of tube into the shaft as it not only makes it stronger it will help align the shaft.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwynUFfefoaqc26o8 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ijqtNErYPrfbuiJp7

Tack it then weld it out youll go round it a good few times to fill it out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DzG4nu1z1hVvN7Kb7

This is the drivers side shaft ready to be fitted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K3wF6xqWB9nWRe2L9

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club