Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fordpass live traffic costs

gillyallan

Has anyone's inclusive time lapsed and know what the ongoing cost is? I've still got til March next year on mine.

13 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Has anyone's inclusive time lapsed and know what the ongoing cost is? I've still got til March next year on mine.

Not cheap.   From memory, the list price is around £70 pa.

Ouch. Will probably give that a miss then.

Thanks

Ill be giving that a miss, it doesnt seem to do much either so not worth paying for, its hardly worth having as free. I dont seem to have the modem bit.

20 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Ouch. Will probably give that a miss then.

Thanks

I tend to use Apple Carplay and there are several free options for live traffic using map or nav apps.

On that site it says 2 years but looks like in UK at least its 3 years from new.
For me the traffic is interesting rather than useful for me. I'm generally going to go my normal route anyway whether busy or not.

If i did need it as above there's always android auto and waze or Google maps.

I know someone who just bought a new merc A class and looks like there's no free period with that. If you want it you gotta pay.

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

On that site it says 2 years but looks like in UK at least its 3 years from new.
For me the traffic is interesting rather than useful for me. I'm generally going to go my normal route anyway whether busy or not.

If i did need it as above there's always android auto and waze or Google maps.

I know someone who just bought a new merc A class and looks like there's no free period with that. If you want it you gotta pay.

Yes mines 3 years, it would be nice to have all the features though.

Yes mines 3 years, it would be nice to have all the features though.
The remote start would be quite good in winter plus can't be driven without key in car anyway it says so pretty safe.

For our cars it's not really good enough to warrant paying for but.if newer ones have all the features then maybe so. I presume though if you have a Manual you'd need to park up in neutral, which I never do.

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

The remote start would be quite good in winter plus can't be driven without key in car anyway it says so pretty safe.

For our cars it's not really good enough to warrant paying for but.if newer ones have all the features then maybe so. I presume though if you have a Manual you'd need to park up in neutral, which I never do.

Will only work on automatics apparently.

5 hours ago, Maddave said:

Will only work on automatics apparently.

Correct.

• Like 1

My Sync 2 uses the TMC via the RDS - it's adequate for my needs.  Can the Sync 3 use TMC if the connection to Live Traffic isn't available?

7 hours ago, jeff-d said:

My Sync 2 uses the TMC via the RDS - it's adequate for my needs.  Can the Sync 3 use TMC if the connection to Live Traffic isn't available?

what's TMC?

16 hours ago, jeff-d said:

I suspect it does, based on the fact that I've been rerouted due to traffic, but my phone wasn't connected to the car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pragmatix said:

what's TMC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to motor vehicle drivers. It is digitally coded using the ALERT C or TPEG protocol into RDS Type 8A groups[1] carried via conventional FM radio broadcasts. 

1 hour ago, avi said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to motor vehicle drivers. It is digitally coded using the ALERT C or TPEG protocol into RDS Type 8A groups[1] carried via conventional FM radio broadcasts. 

Thanks,, So this is a txt type msg? The live traffic relating to ford pass is a real time traffic up dat that shows ion your nav screen just like traffic shows on google maps.

2 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Thanks,, So this is a txt type msg? The live traffic relating to ford pass is a real time traffic up dat that shows ion your nav screen just like traffic shows on google maps.

It uses data received via radio, which is then integrated into Sync 3 Nav. If you use the "show traffic" voice or screen command, it will show all or on-route traffic issues.  IIRC you also get a prompt with rerouting options during nav.    

I don't recall it highlighting roads on the map like Sync 3 live traffic or google maps traffic.

I like using google maps with satellite imagery option, and I won't be paying Ford for what I can get for free.

• Like 1

I think the little road work signs might appear without fordpass so guess that's trough radio. The coloured roads are only through fordpass.
My wife thinks the roadwork signs look like little guys about to put an umbrella up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, avi said:

I don't recall it highlighting roads on the map like Sync 3 live traffic or google maps traffic.

It does on Sync 2 - it gives the little icons plus the yellow/red/stripy roads for delay/bad delay/closed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeff-d said:

It does on Sync 2 - it gives the little icons plus the yellow/red/stripy roads for delay/bad delay/closed.

I can't recall if it does, but it might. 

That said, there are numerous options providing near real-time traffic info on Sync3, so it's a none issue. I recall Waze warning me about potholes and a speed camera van.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avi said:

I can't recall if it does, but it might. 

That said, there are numerous options providing near real-time traffic info on Sync3, so it's a none issue. I recall Waze warning me about potholes and a speed camera van.

Waze would be good if it didnt have so many black boxes on screen.

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, gillyallan said:

It is£3 49 a month you get it free for 12 months only

I see where you are going with this post @Al42 the original poster said

On 4/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, gillyallan said:

time lapsed

So you have waited 2 years 8 months before posting a reply !!!!! 🤣

• Haha 1

I bought my Mk4 last July, I got a years free live traffic, it wasn't too bad. We did a couple of trips from Kent to Coventry and it warned us of traffic issues on the M25 and M40. When it ran out I didn't feel it was useful enough to stump up the monthly fee, especially as I now use Android auto and Waze. 

I also have an auto and the remote start is great. 

6 hours ago, Frowma said:

I bought my Mk4 last July, I got a years free live traffic, it wasn't too bad. We did a couple of trips from Kent to Coventry and it warned us of traffic issues on the M25 and M40. When it ran out I didn't feel it was useful enough to stump up the monthly fee, especially as I now use Android auto and Waze. 

I also have an auto and the remote start is great. 

July 2020? You sure it wasn't 2 years free? Mine was which was July 2020. I believe they changed it to 1 year in August 2020. It had changed on my account to 1 year if memory serves me correct, but Ford eventually rectified that. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club