Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 Inner Tie Rod can anyone help please?

Cyber_killer

Hi all,

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the inner tie rod? Or recommend a special tool to do it with? it was dark outside and started raining, so i have not had a detailed look, but it looks rounded with no flat spots. There is a yellow plastic ring going around it though.

The car is a MK7 2012 Fiesta. Picture below of the Tie Rod.

Thanks,

Inner Tie Rod.jpg

• Like 1

I did one with a pair of mole grips and the new one had flats on it just screws off

Thanks,

Did you have to drop the front arm to get in with the Mole Grips?? 

Managed to find a seller close to me selling one of these tools. Think i will need to buy one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Inner-Tie-Rod-Wrench-removal-tool-Tie-Rod-End-Car-Truck-27mm-42mm/323659287246?hash=item4b5b98cace:g:7soAAOSw2QxcdmQp

There are other versions i have found online which I would prefer to use, but cannot wait for them to come in the post. So i a limited on choice really.

not seen one of those tools, let us know how it goes. I would imagine how good it is is wholly dependant on the quality of the metal teeth on it. I can imagine that some cheap versions would have teeth that are too soft and won't bit into the part that needs undoing.

I have also been worried about how those rods fix on. The construction and access means they are hard to do up really tight and I can imagine in some cases they are not done up tight enough and would come loose and of course if it comes detached it's extremely dangerous. I feel they should have had additional measure like a lock nut and tab washer or cotter pin etc.

let us know how it goes

All done now 🙂

Ended up buying one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS4000-Steering-Rack-Knuckle/dp/B004746FLI/ref=asc_df_B004746FLI/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=265252967722&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8114627557668946816&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006914&hvtargid=aud-548500765412:pla-443806739747&psc=1&th=1&psc=1  

£14 from local motor factors. I had no choice this is the only one they sold. I am so glad i did!! The force to get it off was ridiculous, i used my wrench and put the handle off my jack for leverage.  

The new ones you are find to tighten you can do them with a 32mm spanner. Most cars have flat spots on the tie rods which allow you to grip them with a tool, apart from some fords!! 

From my research though these little tools are really good, various designs. The one i got like i say had no choice if i am honest i prefer designs of others eBay as the are smaller. I did struggle i little with room on the Fiesta.