Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help.. Car doesn’t always start.

LGG181118

Good Afternoon,

I am looking for some advice and to see if anyone has had a similiar experience that could help me identify the fault on my car.

I currently have a Ford Mondeo 65 plate Titanium that every coupe of weeks does not start. As far as I can tell it is after a couple of stops e.g. drive from home to asda, asda to family members then refuses to start. It will eventually turn over and start but this can take between 30mins - 1 hour!

It has been into the garage a few times but as there is no faults showing on the ECU computer there isn't anything that they can do about it. The last time I broke down, I called the garage out ... it did not start the first time however did the second but they still say they cannot do anything about it until the fault happens when they have the car!! This is very frustrating!

When the garage manager was out to the last breakdown he mention something about there possibly not being enough wind build back up in a certain part and if i stalled the car it should then allow it to start again without having to sit and wait or keep trying. He seemed pretty confident that he knew what the issue was however now that they have my car they are unable to repair it until the computer tells them something!!

My car is a push button start and I never run with the automatic stop/start on. I am not sure what other information you guys would need to help me identify what could be the issue.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction of where to start trying to find the fault and if this is a costly issue?

Thanks in advance.

What engine is it?

By couple of stops, how long would you say inbetween?

When it doesn't start, do you mean it just doesn't do anything on push to start, or it cranks but fails to fire?

Quite a big difference.

And will help direct to possible faults.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

What engine is it?

By couple of stops, how long would you say inbetween?

So I can drive 15 mins, spend an hour at that location. Drive another 3-5mins then stop for about 30 mins then the car won’t start. Sometimes it can go longer between stops but as it is so intermittent it’s hard to gauge exactly what stopping times effects it. Does this make sense?

its a 2ltr Diesel engine. 

3 hours ago, Abbadon said:

When it doesn't start, do you mean it just doesn't do anything on push to start, or it cranks but fails to fire?

Quite a big difference.

And will help direct to possible faults.

So when you push the button for a split second it sounds like it will start then it makes a constant squeaky/screeching  noise then cuts itself off. I have a video. Albeit not a great one but I can’t get it to upload. 

The last time it did this I called the garage and they sent someone out. The first time they tried it it didn’t start but when he went to video it the second time it started no problem (this was over an hour after it failed to start first time round) he went very technical on me but he said it had something to do with there not being enough wind and if I stalled the car it would then start (not sure how you do this when the car doesn’t actually start and you need the clutch in to even try) however the garage will not fix anything until the computer tells them what’s wrong

So the squeeky screeching, sounds like a starter related issue to me, although I don't really know what he could have meant by Wind, are you sure he said wind?

On 4/5/2019 at 9:34 PM, LGG181118 said:

So when you push the button for a split second it sounds like it will start then it makes a constant squeaky/screeching  noise then cuts itself off.

Sounds like a problem with the solenoid or starter pinion to me. Both of these are parts of the starter motor. When you press start, the solenoid first pushes the pinion out so it engages with the teeth on the flywheel, then the solenoid electrical contact makes which energises the stater motor, turns the pinion, turns the flywheel, and starts the car.

If the solenoid is sticking, or if the pinion is jammed on its shaft or badly worn, it will not engage properly with the flywheel, and can make a loud, nasty, screeching noise.

A DIY mechanic would remove the starter, clean, oil and test it. Which might get it working. A garage would just replace it. Not cheap, but not cripplingly expensive. About £200 I would guess.

Usually, if the starter is worn out, for example the solenoid contacts, youll get a clunk and then no cranking, as the main starting current isn't flowing. If the starter were sticking on, and then over speeding, I guess the engine might have sort of smart cut, but im not aware of this being a feature.

So its a little hard to see what the fault could be, with the starter.

Also, starter motors don't tend to wear out this quickly, and bearing in mind a start stop equipped car has a more beefy heavy duty starter anyway, I really wouldn't expect a starter failure at this age, especially as you said you aren't using start stop.

It could also be DMF failure the starter gets filled up with rubbish hence the none engagement. Get the starter removed and checked. Its th best strating point imho

• Like 1

Yes I had heard of that issue, I guess that woukd possibly lead to weird problems. Maybe if the pinion doesn't move forward fully, or makes a connection too soon and tries the crank before pinion fully engaged. But doesn't quite explain why only happens after a drive and stop.

1 hour ago, Abbadon said:

Yes I had heard of that issue, I guess that woukd possibly lead to weird problems. Maybe if the pinion doesn't move forward fully, or makes a connection too soon and tries the crank before pinion fully engaged. But doesn't quite explain why only happens after a drive and stop.

The drive shakes up the particles they then settle and jam the starter, get it looked at.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I’ll get the starter motor checked and start from there! I’m hoping it will be an easy enough find without spending a fortune! I’ll keep you updated with what we find. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club