Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does the ECO mode actually do?

PLB

I have a 2019 mk4 1.5 EcoBoost Auto Focus with the normal options of ECO, Standard and Sports mode.

I have been running in ECO mode for a while but can’t say I have seen any fuel savings so I have gone back to the standard driving mode. Does anyone know what changes are made when running in ECO mode?

In most cars eco mode makes the throttle less responsive. As yours is an automatic it also probably shifts to a higher gear at a lower rpm band.

• Like 1

I think you are probably right about altering the auto gear changing shifts.

Anyway, I will now leave it on Standard and occasionally use Sports mode as they appear to give me a better drive experience.

Eco mode affects throttle response, gear change (shift revs) in automatic vehicles, and power steering functioning.

Sales guy at Lookers said that when you switch to Eco the engine drops to two cylinders! Good for motorway cruising.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, George661 said:

Sales guy at Lookers said that when you switch to Eco the engine drops to two cylinders! Good for motorway cruising.

I wouldn't put too much trust in a salesman! :laugh: 

Active cylinder deactivation only drops one cylinder on the 3 cylinder engines.  It also works in normal mode if the conditions are met (low load etc) not just eco mode.  Plus, it won't often work at motorway speed with all the wind resistance at 70mph, especially on any sort of incline.  It's useful tech in theory but it doesn't work all that often in the real world.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have the same.  I like eco at times as it drives more like a diesel, and I've been in diesels for high on 10 years. 

But yes, doesn't seem to make a difference between eco and normal mpg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed this:

Sport - Massively increased throttle response, auto stop-start doesn't work

Normal - As expected

Eco - Same as normal but with reduced throttle response

ECO also doesn't change up a gear as much as normal, which sometimes I quite like.  If I'm not in a hurry I'm happy to drive on the torque.

I find the whole 8 speed thing bizarre anyway.  Too many gears.  No car needs to change gear 4 times by the time it gets to 30mpg.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Freeze said:

Eco mode affects throttle response, gear change (shift revs) in automatic vehicles, and power steering functioning.

done correctly I would also expect it: 1) turns on start stop 2) reduces the effectiveness of the air con

put it in sport to improve throttle response, disable start stop (only really there to wear out the engine so they sell more cars) and enjoy the car.  if you actually want good economy drive well, anticipate other's actions early and use the gear box appropriately

• Like 1

In sport it will hold onto a low gear longer, great if you're in the mood but annoying if you're not.

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Basically as I understand it ECO mode may have other useful benefits but not if you are expecting an improvement In your MPG.

BTW, my Stop Start hasn't worked for a while now I will temporarily try ECO mode and see if starts working.

Has anyone noticed the break responce being less in ech mode?  I could swear in my new stx when I switched to echo I had to press harder on the breaks to get the same responce.

I'm loving the car by the way.

Brakes are sharper, definitely, in Sport mode.

I get better MPG (1.5 Ecoblue Diesel, Manual) in sport mode as you can change up quicker due to the quicker response and less lag.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club