Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to remove the plastic cover behind the rear mirror

SukiDukes

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror on a Mk3 Focus titanium X (2012). It looks a bit fragile so I don't want to attempt removing unless I have the know how.

The cover is sort of V shaped and covers the from camera and other things in the blacken area of the front windscreen, it appears to separate into several pieces, I'm not to sure.

I would love any instructions - guides - pictures on how to do this if available.

Cheers! 

20190406_105904.jpg

20190406_105932.jpg

I removed mine recently to access the rain sensor. It splits into two pieces, horrible and plasticy and feels like you could brake it easily. There’s a line of clips between the two pieces holding them together and some pins/pegs that slot into the carrier on the windscreen to stop it flapping. You just have to ease your fingers between the screen and the cover and gently but firmly pull them outwards (not downwards). I found it easiest to start near the headlining and once it starts to separate you can get a flat screwdriver in there to tease it a bit more.

• Like 1

Sounds awkward to do just like I thought, I don't want to break any pins or facial lugs trying to remove it that's why I was hoping for some actual image snips showing where they are placed and fixed.

Your info has been of help as I understand more than before so Kudos to you buddy & thanks

I’ve got this pic that I took to show the rain sensor clip I fitted the other day, but it does show the location of some clips. The red arrows show where one clip goes between the two lugs either side of the arrow then there’s another lower down where the blue arrow is. I’ll be honest, I didn’t manage to get the right hand part of the cover off, but it was loose so can’t have been much holding it on. I’d probably suggest parking the car with the sun shining on the windscreen for a while so the clips aren’t so brittle. If I can get mine off again tomorrow I’ll take some better photos to show the clips.

7C895FD5-F150-44A5-874F-047EA913B26B.thumb.jpeg.dbd20517e2bf817a0446092c63704ca9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the image, its a bit dark but again the more info I have the better, at least I know where some of the bottom ones are.

I'm looking to take both sides off if possible, apart from your help I cant seem too source any info, instructions etc on this particular subject. Much appreciated for your continued help. More Kudos for you!

Cheers.

As promised, I just pulled it off again, one clip was broken before I took it off the first time, but no more have broken since luckily. This is the left side of the clamshell, I think once you’ve got that off you’ll be able to look in and see what’s holding the other side. There’s two pegs on the left that stop it flapping, 5 clips up the center and looks like there’s a piece with a hole for a peg to locate from the other side.

The best suggestion I can make for removal is to get your fingers in the corners at the top by the headlining and pull it outwards, once that first clip gives you can work your way down the rest. Hope that clears things up a bit more for you.👍

ABE0B47E-AB4A-485A-9714-B7465DF17A0E.thumb.jpeg.20f83c86d989f4ee4ae436a8a46b1774.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Matt92 said:

As promised, I just pulled it off again, one clip was broken before I took it off the first time, but no more have broken since luckily. This is the left side of the clamshell, I think once you’ve got that off you’ll be able to look in and see what’s holding the other side. There’s two pegs on the left that stop it flapping, 5 clips up the center and looks like there’s a piece with a hole for a peg to locate from the other side.

The best suggestion I can make for removal is to get your fingers in the corners at the top by the headlining and pull it outwards, once that first clip gives you can work your way down the rest. Hope that clears things up a bit more for you.👍

ABE0B47E-AB4A-485A-9714-B7465DF17A0E.thumb.jpeg.20f83c86d989f4ee4ae436a8a46b1774.jpeg

Brill thank you. I can see the clips now quite clearly and where they are.

Thank you for your time and effort given my question & query. I shall be attempting to remove mine later this week during a rest day. I don't want to tackle it before just in case something goes wrong as I have to use the car for work. I shall see if I can find a narrow tool to press the clips downwards (inwards towards the screen) whilst pulling the clamshell outwards as you described, this might help minimise the risk of breaking a clip during removal. Obviously I have to do this for every clip during removal etc. Afterwards I will take a real long look at the right side before attempting to remove that part just to make sure I feel confident before doing so.

Big Kudos again for you buddy, you have been a great help. Up to this point I didn't have a clue what to do or how to do it, so your efforts has been appreciated greatly. Until I actually attempt this delicate operation (rest day) I shall keep searching the interweb for any further info, the more the merrier lol 

Cheers buddy!

• Like 1

No problem, good luck with it all.👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club