Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dealer over filled oil

Buzzlite

Hi guys,

Checked my oil today and noticed it's way over the max line, I'd say nearly a litre.

Am I right in thinking that the intercooler holds some oil and if the garage goes by the specs eg 4.1l they just measure and Chuck in not taking into account the oil in the intercooler that just sits there ?

Ecoboost 1.0 engine.

I also found oil leak around the rocker cover.

I think you need to drain some oil out till its right on the dipstick them marks are there for a reason 🙁

I'll bring it back to dealer, only picked the car up on Sat, don't know how a main dealer could do this

I have a similar situation, had mine go through a major service about 4 weeks ago, never thought to check at the time, but at the weekend I decided to check the oil, and it was way over the max line :shock: ...

I have done some reading and decided this was not a good thing, a little bit, ok that's not too bad I suppose, but this looks like it is way over, I am taking mine over to the local service shop tomorrow to have it checked and some of it drained out if required, which I think it is...

Hope you get it sorted...

Best wishes...

Sorry to hear that, check around the rocker cover for any leaks, mine has a leak now.

I'm nearly certain the mechanic is just going by what oil quantity is in the specs sheet and just draining and putting it back in, but with turbos there is always oil in the cooler around 1 litre, so this explains why it is overfilled on the dip stick 

How much over the dipstick full mark in mm is it? 

About half of the main dipstick level between min and high

2-4mm over the max mark is acceptable. 4.6 litres is the service fill with oil filter. 

Any more than 4mm ,then it will need an amount removing. 

I find just under that quantity is sufficient. The 1.0 ecoboost takes a long time to drain down to get a proper dipstick reading, so it's difficult for tech to accurately fill with the limited time , I tend to under fill by approx 3mm. Then when left for some time it should be about right. 

Just to be clear the intercooler has no oil. There is approx 0.45 l of engine oil in various areas of the engine that won't come out when draining. 

• Like 4

Dealer over filled the oil on my car a few years back...I called them and took the car back. the Master Tech then did the whole service again while I waited...a slight inconvenience for me but I thought it was important for them to know this was happening. Do the servicing myself now as I only took it in because I bought a service plan.

Normally it's a Litre between Min and Max marks on the dipstick (it is on my car anyway), so that should give you an idea of how much over it was.

I removed 1l and now I am between min and Max mark when engine cold. I've been told it's good yo keep it in between those markers

9 hours ago, Buzzlite said:

I removed 1l and now I am between min and Max mark when engine cold. I've been told it's good yo keep it in between those markers

Check it again after a run and you'll probably find it's too low now... :laugh:   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Check it again after a run and you'll probably find it's too low now... :laugh:   

I don't think so oil expands when hot

No I meant once cold again, the run is to settle it.  I always fill to max line when doing an oil change as it usually drops after a drive. 

Just went out to check as it's sitting over night and it's bang on half way between min and max

It should be on the max line , not half way between min & max . 

They specify a quantity for a reason. As said the difference between min & max is normally 1 litre. So it needs another half a litre putting in !  

• Like 3

I would put a bit more in until it's on the max. 

• Like 3

Ok thanks guys, according to manual it says between min and max is fine, but I will out more in and have it like 80% to max

The Max is the fill line. above which is a terrible idea, the low could be called the screwed line. the closer to the low you go the closer you are to being screwed. So when they say, between the max and the low, its not literally between them. its to max and if it edges to low you want to top it up before it gets there

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply. Ok so I will fill to Max line on cold engine eg first thing in morning on level surface. Gotcha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

spot on, when changing the oil filter as well (as you should be) fill the engine to about the half way mark. then start the engine until the oil pressure light goes off. turn it off, let it sit for a few min, then refill to max. that oil filter will hold a good amount of oil in it so if you fill to max then start the car, it will drop a bit which might make you think your losing oil

Had a similar problem with my Diesel Freebie - had it serviced just before a 3,500 mile dash across Europe and back, and by the time we got home it was making enough smoke to hide a battleship.  Turned out the mechanics had used the whole 8 litres of oil instead of 7.  I pulled out the extra litre (using a nice little pump from Lidl that goes down the dipstick tube) but I then had to clean out the EGR and the inlet manifold - there was another half-litre of congealed oil.  Finished off with a new vacuum tube and everything is back to normal. 

Motto: trust but verify!

• Like 1

I'm pondering draining some out of my wife's fiesta.  It came from the factory 3mm over the max mark.

Had many cars down the years and always understood that going over max was a bad idea.

On my C class that I have now it is standard mb recommended to only fill to 2/3 the way between min and max.