Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk4 Focus reversing lights

Andyr55

All. Apologies if these seams a silly question. Can someone tell me how many reversing lights I have on my MK4 Titanium.?

I have one on the drivers side which lights up and it looks like there is a clear lamp on the passenger side … is this a reversing lamp too? 

According to the wife, mine only had one reversing light when I was backing out of a parking slot. Fairly typical Ford cost saving...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

All. Apologies if these seams a silly question. Can someone tell me how many reversing lights I have on my MK4 Titanium.?

I have one on the drivers side which lights up and it looks like there is a clear lamp on the passenger side … is this a reversing lamp too? 

The one on the drivers side is the rear fog light and the one on the passengers side is the reversing light.

I am sure there were two reversing lights on my previous MK3 focus.

There are two on the ST & RS 😎

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

According to the wife, mine only had one reversing light when I was backing out of a parking slot. Fairly typical Ford cost saving...

Not just a 'Ford' saving option, many Mercedes look as if they have 2 x reversing lights, often, it's only the drivers one that is actually wired in!

EDIT:

Old age setting in fast, I am totally mistaken in that it does have 2 x reversing lights, it's the fog light it only has one of! D'oh!!

1018693047_onefoglightLoRes.thumb.jpg.b9067046b69c928a32b1675e17df32e6.jpg

10 hours ago, PLB said:

I am sure there were two reversing lights on my previous MK3 focus.

There were 2 on the Mk3.  Presumably they had many complaints about the poor single light in the bottom of the bumper on the Mk2/2.5...  It took me weeks to realise mine had stopped working it was that poor when it did work! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

There were 2 on the Mk3.  Presumably they had many complaints about the poor single light in the bottom of the bumper on the Mk2/2.5...  It took me weeks to realise mine had stopped working it was that poor when it did work! :laugh: 

Must confess that one of the first things I did was upgrade the bulb to a very bright LED bulb - helps a bit but I'm still contemplating installing an LED DRL somewhere on the back!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Silly question I know! But can anyone tell me how many reverse lights are on the Ford Focus Vignale 2019? 

TIA

1 LED strip on left for reverse. 1 on right for rear fog.

• 9 months later...

I have an active x estate which has the led strip reverse on the left and fog on the right. Because the rear screen is tinted I can’t see a damn thing out the back. Anyone done a mod to double up with a fog and led strip on both sides?

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, SB active X estate said:

I have an active x estate which has the led strip reverse on the left and fog on the right. Because the rear screen is tinted I can’t see a damn thing out the back. Anyone done a mod to double up with a fog and led strip on both sides?

I'd be interested in this as well for my ST-Line 5-door so I've bumped the thread. No lighting in our narrow street, can't see a thing out the bak when reversing! The (single) filament bulb reversing light on my Mazda is like a searchlight in comparison.

The trouble is I think car makers think the point of a reversing light is so other drivers know you are reversing. They don’t seem to think it might be used by the driver to see behind. 

• Like 1

Best option is to buy the rear light assembly for the drivers side of a LHD car (so that would be passenger side on RHD). That would mean that you would then have 2 identical rear fog lights and no reverse lights.

Then fit a pair of high power after market LED reverse lights on the bottom of the bumper.

reverse lights.JPG

• Like 1

Fitting aftermarket ones sounds a good idea Unofix, as long as I can do it without blowing the warranty (I'm already getting BS from my dealer even with obvious faults, let alone anything they might put down to stuff I might cause - and I haven't even had the towbar put on yet!) Would it simply be a case of breaking into wiring to the rear light unit to power a foglight or am I likely to need a relay set-up?

The wiring changes are very minor.

With the reverse light it is simply disconnect from the factory fitted light (assuming that you want to replace that with a second rear fog) and connect to the new after market light (which will also need a ground).

If you go with the second rear fog then it is simply one wire connected from the light on the driver side across to the new rear fog on the passenger side.

Neither change should cause a problem with the bulb/light failure detection as the load is slightly increasing and the system is checking for an open circuit bulb. It's not the like the problems you get when you make changes to the indicators or when you change halogen bulbs to LED.

23 hours ago, unofix said:

Then fit a pair of high power after market LED reverse lights on the bottom of the bumper.

That's what I did with my ancient Mk2, put a really decent LED light under the rear bumper, coupled with an LED bulb in the original, I can now actually see when I reverse in the dark!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That's what I did with my ancient Mk2, put a really decent LED light under the rear bumper, coupled with an LED bulb in the origina

Great minds think alike Stephen !!!  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Unofix, glad to know it really is still that simple (it should be I would hope). That way it would be easy to disconnect and remove if problems were caused or if the car had to go in for warranty repairs.

I last did this type of job on cars of the 60's and 70's when fitting reversing lights, and fog lights that would illuminate what I wanted illuminating - though in those days it was via manual switches and relays, so this job should be simpler!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club