Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I buy a Ford Focus Powershift?

smr

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new (used) car. And it's looking like a Ford Focus or a Golf. The car I have been driving is a Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCI with an auto gearbox... my first automatic car in around 20 years of driving and now I don't really want to go back to a manual car. The gearbox in the S-Max was brilliant imho and very smooth.

So that brings me to the Ford Focus and it's powershift gearboxes. I've been reading up on it and it appears they're not all that brilliant generally speaking, or are they? I'm not really much of a petrol head but I understand the 1.6 litre engines should be avoided at all costs as they are dry clutch, whatever that means, and the 2.0 litres are better as they are wet clutch, but they also require maintenance and an oil and filter change every 37.5k miles, which is about £250-300.

So should I avoid powershift models completely, which would rule out a Ford Focus with a £5-7k budget? As all autos seem to be powershift? Or are they OK providing they are maintained properly, and if so what should I ask sellers about to make sure it's ok?

Everything else to do with the car seems to sound fine for what I am looking for, I do a mixture of driving throughout the week, A and B roads, some motorway mileage, and weekends trips here and there for a few hours. 10-15k per year. 

I think it all depends on how well the car’s been maintained. As you are aware, the powershift boxes on the 2.0TDCi require a fluid and filter change every 37.5k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.  I have a 2013 2.0 TDCi which has done 49k miles (45k of them by me) and has just (in March) had its second fluid and filter change. Yes, £250 is expensive but I look at that at £80ish per year - doesn’t sound so bad then.

Touch wood, I’ve not had any problems with the box. To be fair, I don’t rag it and always take it gently until I know the transmission fluid is warmed up. If any car you look at hasn’t had all its fluid and filter changes at the correct intervals (with paperwork to back it up) I’d walk away. 

As I understand it, what you have said about the dry clutch boxes in the 1.6 is correct and there have been a lot of failures in the States.  I would steer clear.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lionian said:

I think it all depends on how well the car’s been maintained. As you are aware, the powershift boxes on the 2.0TDCi require a fluid and filter change every 37.5k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.  I have a 2013 2.0 TDCi which has done 49k miles (45k of them by me) and has just (in March) had its second fluid and filter change. Yes, £250 is expensive but I look at that at £80ish per year - doesn’t sound so bad then.

Touch wood, I’ve not had any problems with the box. To be fair, I don’t rag it and always take it gently until I know the transmission fluid is warmed up. If any car you look at hasn’t had all its fluid and filter changes at the correct intervals (with paperwork to back it up) I’d walk away. 

As I understand it, what you have said about the dry clutch boxes in the 1.6 is correct and there have been a lot of failures in the States.  I would steer clear.

Hope this helps. 

Many thanks for the reply. I am going to see a 2013 2.0 diesel tomorrow in zetec trim. Apart from the oil and filter change for the gearbox is there anything else specifically I should look for? I understand these cars are cambelt and not chain.. does that need replacing by 65k miles?

Yes, cambelt. Ford recommend replacement at 125k miles or 10 years. Probably not wise to leave it right to the limit, though, and I’d be inclined to get it changed around the 90k -100k mark, possibly a little bit sooner if you don’t know the car’s service history.  That’s probably a little over cautious but better safe than sorry in my opinion.  It should be fine with only 65k.  Full service history, if it has it, would give further peace of mind, of course. 

Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lionian said:

Yes, cambelt. Ford recommend replacement at 125k miles or 10 years. Probably not wise to leave it right to the limit, though, and I’d be inclined to get it changed around the 90k -100k mark, possibly a little bit sooner if you don’t know the car’s service history.  That’s probably a little over cautious but better safe than sorry in my opinion.  It should be fine with only 65k.  Full service history, if it has it, would give further peace of mind, of course. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Hi Ian,

I spoke to them earlier and they've sent the service book... what do you think? No mention as to whether the gearbox has been oiled and sealed and no service between 11k and 43k... avoid?

IMG_1875.thumb.JPG.ba12cbaef2bbd561f03ae4e087e07fc9.JPGIMG_1874.thumb.JPG.41746f6e1eb3994392f104219318c83f.JPG

Well, it has had two main dealer services in the last 7 or 8 months. No evidence of a service between 2011 (if I’m reading that right) and 2018. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t been serviced or at least had oil changes undertaken by a previous owner / independent, just that the service book hasn’t been stamped. I would ask the dealer the specific question about whether it’s had transmission fluid and filter changes and see what they say. If they cannot give you a definitive answer then it may be that the transmission fluid has not been changed for 65k miles / 6 years. Personally that would concern me. A lot. Then again, you could buy it and even though there have been no fluid changes the gearbox might never cause you a problem. Who knows? However, if it were to give you problems, you might kick yourself for not taking notice of the lack of proof that the powershift services had been carried out. I think a new replacement powershift box is in the region of £5k   Worth bearing in mind.  Don’t get me wrong, I think the powershift box is great...if properly serviced. 

What warranty is the dealer offering?  If they agree to 12 months and you get written confirmation that that would specifically include powershift related problems, well that at least gives you some peace of mind. At the very least I would insist on a fluid and filter change, with paperwork provided, before buying. 

Sorry I can’t answer the question about whether or not to buy it; that has to be your decision, but hopefully my two penn’orth has given you some things to think about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, just to add, the entry in the service book dated 27/7/11 is just a date and mileage, no dealer or independent stamp as far as I can see. What does that mean?  Was it even serviced then?

• Like 2

Walk away unless you see invoices for fluid changes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lionian said:

Well, it has had two main dealer services in the last 7 or 8 months. No evidence of a service between 2011 (if I’m reading that right) and 2018. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t been serviced or at least had oil changes undertaken by a previous owner / independent, just that the service book hasn’t been stamped. I would ask the dealer the specific question about whether it’s had transmission fluid and filter changes and see what they say. If they cannot give you a definitive answer then it may be that the transmission fluid has not been changed for 65k miles / 6 years. Personally that would concern me. A lot. Then again, you could buy it and even though there have been no fluid changes the gearbox might never cause you a problem. Who knows? However, if it were to give you problems, you might kick yourself for not taking notice of the lack of proof that the powershift services had been carried out. I think a new replacement powershift box is in the region of £5k   Worth bearing in mind.  Don’t get me wrong, I think the powershift box is great...if properly serviced. 

What warranty is the dealer offering?  If they agree to 12 months and you get written confirmation that that would specifically include powershift related problems, well that at least gives you some peace of mind. At the very least I would insist on a fluid and filter change, with paperwork provided, before buying. 

Sorry I can’t answer the question about whether or not to buy it; that has to be your decision, but hopefully my two penn’orth has given you some things to think about. 

Thanks very much for the advice. I rang and asked ... there are no service receipts for anything, they couldn't confirm or prove whether it had the first oil and filter change on the gearbox, so i said I'll have to leave it. The missing stamp as you say also .... 

• Like 1

I think you’ve made the right decision, Joel. There are plenty of others out there so why take the risk on one with no history?  Good luck with your search and do let us know if you spot any others / buy one. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club