Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leaking into spare wheel unit

Hazza96

Hi all,

I have a Fiesta 2009 plate.

Noticed that water is leaking into the unit. Seen quite a few people report this online. 

Anyone else had this issue? 

All the seals are fine!

Thanks,

water leak boot.jpg

Will be getting in underneath the black roof trims. Where the side panels and the roof panel meet it is covered with a bead of sealant from front to rear. Once the body Shell is painted the black strip is attached over the top using double sided tape.

It's common on the early build Mk7 for this sealant to crack with age allowing water to seep in between the panels and run into the boot area. My car was affected by the same issue, if the water is clean then this is more than likely where your problem lies.

• Thanks 1

wicked! 

How do you go about fixing this? 

for now I would push a bung out of the floor so at least water drains out. (if it's the usual bung type push up from underneath the car).

My only concern is that it leaks more and starts to ruin my carpet in the back of the car. 

Its already made my boot carpet mouldy! 

If it is the boot seal then this would need to be removed, all the old sealant cleaned off (use thinners or Tardis), apply new sealant then if boot seal is still ok refit or fit a new one

Leave a tray of rice or catnip in the boot as this will absorb the damp

wicked, Just put a tone of rice in for the time being. Looking online looks its a seal that is lose on the left hand side of my car. Makes sense as i have water sitting mainly in the left hand side of the boot. Back bumper and tail lights to be taken out. 

Anyone know if its easy to take out the carpet trim in the boot on the sides? 

On 4/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, Hazza96 said:

wicked, Just put a tone of rice in for the time being. Looking online looks its a seal that is lose on the left hand side of my car. Makes sense as i have water sitting mainly in the left hand side of the boot. Back bumper and tail lights to be taken out. 

Anyone know if its easy to take out the carpet trim in the boot on the sides? 

I half removed it when fitting brake bulbs, it is stuck under a lot of trim so you might need to have some tools to help prise it out. Refitting one in the correct shape will be the more difficult bit. 

On 4/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, Nick_T said:

Will be getting in underneath the black roof trims. Where the side panels and the roof panel meet it is covered with a bead of sealant from front to rear. Once the body shell is painted the black strip is attached over the top using double sided tape.

It's common on the early build Mk7 for this sealant to crack with age allowing water to seep in between the panels and run into the boot area. My car was affected by the same issue, if the water is clean then this is more than likely where your problem lies.

Looks like it took off bumper and tail lights and seem fine. Best to put into a garage for repair? 

Can be done quite easily DIY. You will need to remove the black strips that run from front to back on your roof, clean away any remaining sticky from the bodywork with a solvent such as panel wipe. Take a close look at where you have just removed the strips from and check for any fine cracks or splits in the sealant. 

Go to your local builders merchant and pick up some roofing sealant, chances are the cracks will be above the rear window. Run the sealant over any cracks, it takes 24hrs to cure fully and is over paintable if you wish to do so. Once cured either stick your trims back on with fresh double sided tape or purchase a new pair from Ford, I paid £25 for a pair of new ones. 

Did this fix 2 years ago and have never had any water in the boot since then. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club