Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Activating Lane Centering

Edgar

Hello,

I have a Ford Focus MK4. It has the Lane Keeping System but not the Lane Centering.

Which versions of the car have the Lane Centering?
Is it possible to activate the Lane Centering through the OBD?

Thank you,
Edgar

According to the spec, the lane centering is only available with the automatic gearbox.  I have no idea why this should be the case. Would be good if we could work out how to enable it on manual boxes.

Sorry but this is one of those "features" that promotes utterly stupid poor driving behaviour and should be avoided.

if your drifting lanes because your tired, your already way beyond the point you should have pulled over, If your too distracted by something else then you should have pulled over to deal with it.

Relying on a computer to keep you in lane is at the very least sending the wrong message about how to be a safe driver. 

Be a better driver, stop messing about when you should be driving and learn the signs of tiredness.

Oh, an if your not able to stay in the centre of a lane outside of the above, then its time to go get some more driving lessons.   Sorry if this sounds harsh but taking the responsibility of driving out of the hands of the driver on something as important as this is a terrible idea... imo. 🙂 

• Like 3

Dont worry wait until we get driver less cars 😀 The boing 737 max 3 comes to mind never rely on S/w alone

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I like the idea of cars with the warning in mirrors of a car at your side and potentially in your blind side, wish I had that, but to keep you in lane is a bit much imo.

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Sorry but this is one of those "features" that promotes utterly stupid poor driving behaviour and should be avoided..... taking the responsibility of driving out of the hands of the driver on something as important as this is a terrible idea... imo. 🙂 

I couldn't agree more.👍

I'm of the opposite opinion...we can't trust people to be able to drive safely or considerately any more.  They need as much help as they can get!  I'd much rather NOT be in a collision because another drivers car has stopped them inadvertently drifting into mine.

• Like 1

I have driven 40 years, covering well in excess of a million miles. Never had one single accident. I have taken the Institute of Advanced Motorist Test, and also the Rospa advanced driving test, both in my teens. Yes, I could be just very lucky, but, I reckon, the more careful and observant I am, the luckier I get...

• Like 1

I think you’re all missing the point, the OP was just asking about whether the feature could be enabled; not relying on it during everyday driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, Edgar said:

Hello,

I have a Ford Focus MK4. It has the Lane Keeping System but not the Lane Centering.

Which versions of the car have the Lane Centering?
Is it possible to activate the Lane Centering through the OBD?

Thank you,
Edgar

Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Centring Assist and Stop and Go which requires Auto Transmission is part of the Driver Assistance Pack.

Also, apart from the front mounted camera there is a radar unit fitted behind the front bumper.

Interestingly the only differences that I can see is that the Lane Keeping System says that it works at speeds above 40 mph whereas there is no mention of a minimum speed for the Lane Centring system.

8 hours ago, Jollyandy said:

I think you’re all missing the point.....

At my age, missing the point is entirely permissible LOL 😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm of the opposite opinion...we can't trust people to be able to drive safely or considerately any more.  They need as much help as they can get!  I'd much rather NOT be in a collision because another drivers car has stopped them inadvertently drifting into mine.

id much rather those people who cant drive properly and safely dont drive at all 🙂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

id much rather those people who cant drive properly and safely dont drive at all 🙂 

How are you going to stop them though?  Without regular retests there's nothing to remove drivers when their driving ability drops below a reasonable standard.  And I'm going to guess most don't realise when it happens to them to give up voluntarily.  It's not just older people though, the biggest distraction by far is passengers...the amount of times I see someone drifting lanes at 70mph because they're fiddling with a child in the passenger seat is ridiculous...but equally we can't just ban children from cars lol.   Realistically we all see shockingly bad instances of driving every time we got out.  It's not going to stop any time soon.  I'd much rather drive on a road full of cars that have technology to avoid accidents than one without...I can't wait for driverless cars to come in tbh, the biggest problem on the road is the other drivers... 

I can't believe the amount of folk blatantly ignoring temp speed limits on like of motorways. I don't always drive to limit but say a 70mph down to 40mph for roadworks/workers. I've at least dropped to about 50 and folk are tearing past at I'd estimate 80.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, gillyallan said:

I like the idea of cars with the warning in mirrors of a car at your side and potentially in your blind side, wish I had that, but to keep you in lane is a bit much imo.

Yes, I have the Ford’s Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) with cross-traffic alert in my car (see attached info) and its a definite useful addition in my opinion.

BLIS.pdf

They shouldnt be given a licence without proper training in the first place. once they have proven they have the competency to drive properly and safely, then if they then choose to drive for 10 hours straight and wipe out some family because they fell asleep and crossed lanes, throw the book at them for all eternity. 

Just now ill accept that drivers aren't given enough time to learn and so might not know what to expect but thats the problem. hiding it with tech wont help.

if we had fully autonomous driving then by all means, but we dont, but so long as its the squashy fleshy stuff responsible for the car and not a piece of silicone (or is It the manufacture thats responsible, or is it the hardware / software designer, or is it the programmers thats responsible or the last person to service the car?) , then we cant take that away from the driver. its the same with this EU speed limit nonsense.  

It just creates an environment where is acceptable to be a crap driver because tech will save the day.  I say its not acceptable to be a crap driver at all and if that means not learning to drive until your 24 and had to drive XXX hours with blackbox supervision and multiple tests / assessments then id be happy my kids had to deal with that if it meant they are a more rounded driver.