Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Groaning brakes when reversing - Focus mk3 Titanium

DickP

Hi,

My Focus estate mk3 in Titanium trim has brakes which groan/squeal sometimes when reversing.  It doesn't do it every time however.  When it does do it I can feel a resonance through the steering wheel.  The sound is akin to a large truck or bus coming a halt when it has groan squeally brakes.

I have googled about this and there are posts on here of other cars having the same but no exact cause being given or solution.

So far I have checked that all calipers move freely and re-greased the slider pins with fresh lithium grease.  I haven't applied any copper grease to the rear of the brake pads though - would this cause my symptoms?

Thanks,

rust on the disks maybe

Hi

Discs are in good condition.  There is minimal to no build up of corrosion or rust flakes on the rear discs and the front discs are almost new.

Thanks,

pads worn on front and back ??

10 hours ago, DickP said:

I have googled about this and there are posts on here of other cars having the same but no exact cause being given or solution.

So far I have checked that all calipers move freely and re-greased the slider pins with fresh lithium grease.  I haven't applied any copper grease to the rear of the brake pads though - would this cause my symptoms?

Copper grease is a bit old fashioned now, it's better to use something like cera-tec on the back of pads and particularly on the pad 'ears' where they sit against the caliper.  You could also try adding a chamfer to the leading edge of each pad with a file if they're not already chamfered.

• Like 1

Do you know what brand the pads are? Someone fitted cheap crap pads to my van before I bought it. I’d decsribe the noise like you, a bus coming to a hault and a horrible resonance/groan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Motorcraft pads on the front and pagid on the rear.  It appears the brakes are intermittently binding and do not know why as they seem to move freely when inspected or if the wheel is raised off the ground.

Thanks,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club