Ed_III

Sporadic Electrical Problem 2006 focus 1.4

Hi, I am new here and I have a problem with my focus 2006  (which I think is electrical) where the instrument cluster will randomly stop working. Specifically the indicator will not blink on the dash when I signal but the actual indicator lights on the exterior of the car blink, the radio will also turn off. When it happens it lasts between 5 mins and 40 mins, then everything just works again. I have no idea what may be causing it, and I’d appreciate any suggestions. 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Ed_III said:

where the instrument cluster will randomly stop working. Specifically the indicator will not blink on the dash when I signal but the actual indicator lights on the exterior of the car blink, the radio will also turn off.

The 2006 Focus IC is really notorious for electrical problems, usually just the soldering between the pcb and the main connector.

The indicators are controlled by the BCM, which is built in to the passenger fusebox. The control stalks are not connected to the IC at all. But the dash indication lights are part of the IC. The IC gets information about the indicators over the MS-CAN bus. The MS-CAN bus also goes to the radio. So it is possible that the wiring fault on the IC connector could be the cause. The MS-CAN bus is terminated inside the IC, and all communication over it can be corrupted if the connections to the IC are bad.

I had problems with the HS-CAN bus (from the ECU & engine) to the IC. I did a little pdf about it: https://www.fordownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491