Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Puma -SUV

Eric Bloodaxe

Seen various press reports that the Puma name is to be revived, but this time on a Fiesta based small sporty SUV - a sort of Nissan Juke rival.

Impressions I've seen look quite good, there is to be a mild hybrid 1.0 ecoboost powertrain with 153ps which looks interesting. What caught my attention though was the mention of the possibility of a full ST version with the 200ps 1.5.

Not sure if I like the Puma name being re-used this way though - what do others think?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More details of this are now emerging. I was quite interested in this (mainly for my Mrs's sake as she likes a higher seating position) but liked the claims that the Fiesta handling would be preserved with more interior space but still compact exterior dimensions.

However, it seems the boot space is partly gained by making a spare wheel impossible, which is a big minus to me. The petrol is a 1.0 ecoboost mild hybrid in 123  or 153 hp versions, the 153 only coming with 7 speed DCT (I thought Ford had given up on these?), which I like the sound of even less. No mention either of an ST version which was mentioned previously. So not that exciting to me, after all!

I dont like it, we had the original puma, and we loved it...I'm sure it'll sell well, but its not for me

It's HIDEOUS.  it looks like someone sealed up a Focus but then tried to inflate it.

To be fair I detest SUVs with every fibre of my being.  

16 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

it looks like someone sealed up a Focus but then tried to inflate it.

From what I've seen, the new Kuga is the same sort of thing, only bigger. 

19 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The petrol is a 1.0 ecoboost mild hybrid in 123  or 153 hp versions, the 153 only coming with 7 speed DCT (I thought Ford had given up on these?)

Spotted a few further reviews which suggests that the DCT might be an option rather than standard, which would make this a bit more palatable to me. (I'm not really an automatic person anyway, but much prefer a torque converter auto to the dual-clutch variety).

No, I'm not keen on SUV's as a rule, but I know this would be easier access for my Mrs so will not rule it out altogether until I get the opportunity for a good look in the flesh/test drive. Still don't think they should have re-used the Puma name on something like this, though!

Why use dct?  Their 8speed is a nice smooth quick box.

• Like 1

I want to puke after seeing this...

Are Ford trying to one up the Nissan Joke and make an even uglier car?

These baby platform SUVs don't even resemble cars, they look more like toy cars.

Sorry for the harsh opinion, but as you can tell I hate them. It looks even worse than the current Ecosport.

After reading a bit more of Ford's blurb, I'm now wondering what sort of prices they're going to be asking for this.

Edit- just seen something suggesting it will start at £24k - good luck with that!

10 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Edit- just seen something suggesting it will start at £24k - good luck with that!

What's the purpose of this alongside the Fiesta Active?  Apart from slightly different looks, aren't they both mini SUV crossovers?  When they're already struggling to sell enough cars, it seems daft to start building another very similar model imo…  Also, as the Active is potentially £5k cheaper, this would have to be considerably better! 😮 

As for the name, I don't like it...by all means build a mini SUV if that's what research suggests the public wants, but give it a new name.  Don't re-use the name of a cool, compact coupe for an SUV... :unsure:  It's as bad as Vauxhall reusing the Viva name, I don't like that either.

Everyone wants an SUV these days.

Car parks are full of people driving cars they are basically too scared to manoeuvre.

Modern engineering has made SUVs handle as well as hatches in normal conditions.  Except when its slippy or snowy they turn back into the top heavy brick they actually are.

Only problem with mini SUV's is that they look chunky and solid outside but tend to be too small on the inside.
The Juke for instsnce is pokey inside and the rear seat head clearance is poor (had one as a hire car last year).
They tend to have smaller engines so are underpowered too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Edit- just seen something suggesting it will start at £24k 

Now seen a mention of "just under £20k" as a starting price, presumably for one of the lower power/spec versions which will apparently be available later.

The generally negative reaction on here, from people who are car enthusiasts, suggests that it will probably be a success with the general public - they have really lapped up the SEAT Arona round my way, for instance.

I have now seen a few further suggestions that an ST version may still be on the cards. Still don't like the use of the Puma name though. Are we going to get a Capri or Mustang SUV next?

• 3 months later...

Just found the prices for this are now on the Ford site. "First edition" versions are from £22,295 (Titanium, 125ps) to £27,345 (ST-Line X First Edition plus, 155ps). Normal range is slightly less eye-watering, £20,845 for the Titanium 125, up to £23,645 for the ST-Line X 155. After seeing suggestions that the 155 would be some type of auto, they're all 6 speed manual for now.

Can't have a spare wheel apparently, because of the storage box in the boot floor, also noticed race red has now become a "premium" colour at £250 - wonder if they'll pull the same trick on other models, race red is pretty popular on the Fiesta? "Free" colour on Puma is now Blazer Blue.

Wondering if any posts regarding this model should go in the Puma forum, or if Admin can open a new one for this as it's in no way related to the much-loved Puma coupe?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club