Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre pressure light coming on every 2 weeks

Jamieking86

Hi guys, we have a 14 plate fiesta ecoboost 1.0L, we've had the car nearly 2 years now, it's been a great little car, but for the last year or so the tyre pressure light comes on every 2 weeks, sometimes sooner. We've had new tyres, new valves fitted, had the tyres resealed you name it but the light is constantly coming up. It's a complete pain in the back side. When we pump the tyres up, they have all gone down in PSI too but more so the passenger rear which drops down to around 18 PSI every couple of weeks. We've had mechanics look at it and we're all completely baffled. Does anybody know why this could be or have a solution for it? TIA

The light is comming on because the tyres have gone down, i would suggest that you get the rims check for corrosion or damage, the  tyre  place should be able to check for leaks.

11 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

The light is comming on because the tyres have gone down, i would suggest that you get the rims check for corrosion or damage, they thre place should be able tomcheck for leaks.

I'd echo what Pete has said.

I had a Mazda 2 for 4 years and towards the end all the tyres would drop 5 - 10 psi in the space of a month.  It was caused by corrosion inside the allows.  I had everything done short of full alloy refurbishment and nothing stopped it.  i used to just re-inflate the tyres every few weeks as I didn't want to spend circa £200 on it at the time.

To echo whats been said above - I had  the same problem on my last Fiesta, everything was checked over and over again. Finally realized the wheel was very slightly bucked meaning the tyre was letting air out...i ended up keeping a small pump in the boot (until someone very kindly drove into me writing the car off last year).

Have you taken the car to a tyre place where they can drop the wheel/ tyre in a tank of water to see where the leak is?

Most dealers will just spray water on the tyre to look for an obvious leak (nail in tyre, etc) and not bother checking it properly.

The tyre may not be sealed on the rim properly (need removing, cleaning of rim, new bead sealer applied), wheel may have a crack or as my problem on a 2014 ST the valve itself (metal valves fitted on early cars) was overtightened 6 times (yes 6) by the dealer which damaged the wheel causing it to blister and not seal properly

The light comes on when the tyre has lost around 5psi from when it was last set

Thanks for your replys. The car was in at a mechanic last week for some new brake pads. We asked him to check the tyres/wheels whilst it was their. He said he re-sealed them as they hadn't been sealed. That was last monday, exactly a week ago and the tyre pressure came on again this morning. We do have a tyre inflator but it's just a pain in the backside having to pump them all up every couple of week

I've had that problem before too. I went back to the tyre centre several times where I bought the new tyres and each time they would take the tyre off the wheel and clean and check everything then refit the tyre. They couldn't find the problem with the wheel in the bubble tank either. In the end they admitted defeat and changed the tyre for another new one (free of charge) which finally solved the problem. I was surprised because it was a Michelin tyre too so nothing cheap. They had told me if changing the tyre didn't solve it then I'd have to get a new wheel. As others have said...…..your tyre monitoring system is working as it should. It may be annoying but it's warning you of a problem.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jamieking86 said:

Thanks for your replys. The car was in at a mechanic last week for some new brake pads. We asked him to check the tyres/wheels whilst it was their. He said he re-sealed them as they hadn't been sealed. That was last monday, exactly a week ago and the tyre pressure came on again this morning. We do have a tyre inflator but it's just a pain in the backside having to pump them all up every couple of week

I think the key is if it's happening on multiple tyres and to a similar extent on each.

In my siutation I had several 'good' tyre places check and re-seal / re-bead but nothing worked.  Even when new tyres were fitted I still had the drop in psi. It was only when the tyres were on the car and under load the slow pressure loss would occur so emersion tests showed nothing unfortunately.

I ended up doing the same as you, keeping a small electric pump in the boot and topping them up ever few weeks.

OMG I swear this is me writing this as I have the exact same thing with my 15reg 1.0 ltr ecoboost!!! I’ve had the car a year and right from the start it would come up check tyre pressure every two weeks or so it drives me absolutely insane!!! I’ve had the garage check it and one tyre had a leaky valve or something which was replaced but wasn’t the cause of it and here I am a year on still pumping tyres up every two weeks 

Might be helpful to know which alloys people have fitted and if metal valves or rubber

Metal valves on cars around 2014 were known to leak so Ford switched back to rubber ones

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2019 at 11:10 PM, Laurac said:

34B11F75-5678-4909-9118-7519E0E94382.png

I have the same car and the same issue on 3 of my tyres. I’m told a it’s to do with the tyre pressure sensor valves leaking but no one seems to be able to sort it. 

Has anyone on here had any luck with theirs? 

I was quite surprised how much pressure the tyres had to lose before any warning came up on the  dash.   I can tell by the way the car handles long before I get any warning.

3 of my tyres go from 31/29 to 18-20psi within a 7-10 days. Basically I have to pump them up every time I refuel. 

I don't have tpms on my fiesta. I did have a screw in one tyre and it lost 10psi pressure after 1 week. When we put soapy water over it, it was producing a small bubble every few seconds. 

On the tpms I would first try and put ptfe tape under the cap to fully seal it. If that stops the leak try tightening the valve core using a tool from Halfords. Just finger tight is enough. The valve core should have a rubber seal on it and it might be worn or loose. A new core should cost a few quid from Halfords. Or a schrader one from a bike tyre will be the same.

It might be the leak is coming from the base of the tpms sensor when the car is moving. You can't tighten the sensor but without risking twisting the sensor inside. Although it might be worth turning one with a spanner 1/8 of a turn to tighten it and see if it improves.

Last resort would be to put the wheel in a kids small swimming pool and see if any bubbles show.

Thanks for the advice, I will try those options. 
It is losing air at the same rate when not being driven (as discovered during this lockdown).

I will try them all out and let you know if I have any success. 
Thanks

Hello I have a 17 plate 1.0 eco boost and also have a problem of the tyre pressure light coming on every 2-3 weeks it is always the rear passenger side tyre that looses its pressure I have had a new tyre fitted as it has driven me mad for the last year and half! No one can find a problem with it! It doesn’t matter if it is sat in drive not moving or droving a couple hundred miles from hull to Edinburgh same rate of air lossage! 
very frustrating. 

perhaps it's the tpms valve?  I have a tyre on my new focus that has slowly gone down from the day I picked up the car.  Never bothered with the hassle of going to the dealers for it as it's like 2psi a month.  But the others stay the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, Stormfiesta said:

Hello I have a 17 plate 1.0 eco boost and also have a problem of the tyre pressure light coming on every 2-3 weeks it is always the rear passenger side tyre that looses its pressure I have had a new tyre fitted as it has driven me mad for the last year and half! No one can find a problem with it! It doesn’t matter if it is sat in drive not moving or droving a couple hundred miles from hull to Edinburgh same rate of air lossage! 
very frustrating. 

I had the same problem with the same tyre, same tyre shop tried 3 times to seal it and couldn't (they tried resealing and new valves) so I took it somewhere else for a second opinion

Went to STS Tyre Pros, he said there was some corrosion around the valve and that's where it was leaking, he said they have some "special sealant stuff" can't remember what it was that they could try but couldn't say for sure it would fix it but a clean, some "special sealant stuff" and £20 later it was fixed and had no trouble with that tyre since (was months ago)

Problem now is a few months down the line a different tyre seems to be loosing air 🤣

• 3 months later...

same for me  ..64 plate fiesta... had all the valves changed but still happens.....all 4 tyres lose air and light comes on every 4 to 6 weeks. Annoying......

The most likely leak place is the rubber seal at the base of the valve inside the wheel. Corrosion inside the wheel at this point can leak air. Cleaning around the hole and fitting a new seal kit will stop the leak. Buy a kit and ask the garage to fit it to the wheel next time they change the tyre. Get the tpms battery replaced as well.

Screenshot_20200821-234749_Chrome.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have this same problem with my fiesta. It’s a 1.25 Zetec, 2008. Everything is great with it and drives well but had a problem with the front 2 tyres going down ever since I got the car. The passenger front is the worst. There’s no way that a car’s tyres need pumped every couple of weeks but this seems to be a common fault with fiestas. It must be the way they are made because I’ve heard this problem so many times. My mum has just recently bought a 2015 model and guess what? The same thing is happening with hers too. The only thing that helped it with me was pumping green slime into the front 2 tyres. I haven’t had a problem since so obviously it’s something to do with what way the rims rub against the tyres and doesn’t seem to matter if it’s an old fiesta or a new fiesta, the same problem occurs..it’s a problem by ford that they don’t wana admit. Same as the ***** radios you get when you get the car, loads keep knocking off randomly and also the dodgy reverse gear that keeps on sticking. Another Common problem from ford Fiesta. Not made as well as they used to be. 

I've just read through this post carefully and I can only surmise that the leak is in your actual wheels.

Aren't you meant to check your tyres at least once a week anyway especially if you do a couple of hundred miles a week? If you have an accident and your tyres are not properly inflate it gives the police an opportunity to prosecute and insurance company not to pay up. Wrongly inflated tyres can cause car to swerve on emergency stop.

If you bump up Kerbs or drive over potholes with alloy wheels they buckle!