Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best air filter for focus 1.0 ecoboost

gingerblack

Hi, I've just bought a 1.0 ecoboost 125 at the weekend and very impressed with the little engine! 🙂

What filters are you using? I might try a ramair rather than go with the usual k&n.

Any feedback appreciated

2 minutes ago, gingerblack said:

Hi, I've just bought a 1.0 ecoboost 125 at the weekend and very impressed with the little engine! 🙂

What filters are you using? I might try a ramair rather than go with the usual k&n.

Any feedback appreciated

I tend to stick with stock filters.

It’s a great little engine but... in this type of a car, you don’t get any performance gain and given the higher costs of these filters, in my opinion it just seems like a waste of money. 

I think an upgraded air filter would be a good idea as part of an array of modifications being done though. 

Unless you're remapping then theres little point.

I’ve a k&n installed in my Ecoboost 

stage 1 done on the ecoboost 1.0 and stuck with a K&N panel filter, obtained awesome results! - doesn't need anymore than that.

K&N has the K&N E-2993 replacement filter and the K&N E-9289 replacement filter for the Focus MK3/MK3.5.

The K&N E-9289 replacement filter is the same filter that is included in the K&N 57S-4000 kit. Compared to the normal K&N E-2993 replacement filter this filter has a larger filtration surface (a larger amount of lamellas creates a larger filtration surface). Another advantage of this filter is the removable end cap. The filter can both be used with or without the end cap. Removal of the end cap transforms the air filter into a semi open air filterI

The price of the K&N E-2993 and the K&N E-9289 is about the same so personally I would always choose for the K&N E-9289 replacement filter. 

In my opinion the 1.0 ECOboost really benefits from an air filter upgrade.

I have the K&N E-9289 air filter in combination with the MK3.5 RS air filter housing on my 2013  125 HP 1.0 ECOboost. In my opinion this is a really nice combination. it also is cheaper than the K&N 57S-4000 kit. Combined with high octane fuel (I always use 98 or higher octane fuel) my car outputs over 140 HP.

Apart from being a performance upgrade the cleanable K&N air filter is also cheaper on the long term than the stock paper air filter that needs to be replaced every year. I paid €70,- for a brand new K&N E-9289 air filter including the cleaning.maintenance kit a few Years ago. In my case after approximately 4 Years the K&N filter will be cheaper to run than the stock paper air filter.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I am surprised you are getting 140 bhp from just the filter and high octane fuel, I have a mk3 focus ecoboost 1.0 its had stage 1 map from Collins performance and induction kit, turbo hard pipe, primary, secondary induction hoses and cross over pipe kand n 57s 4000, and its just making 150bhp,. Ive always ran high octane fuel from new. I doubt very much ou are getting 140bhp from the filter alone have you got a print out?

On 4/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, gingerblack said:

Any feedback appreciated

Ramair let's through less particulates and only requires a wash with soap and water but sound wise not as loud as k&n IMHO. K&n is required to be oiled which some people make the mistake of doing it too much which ends up being sooked into the engine. Both have gains but more so on Turbo cars some claim no gains but better response and airflow. One pro if not anything you will hear the whoosh of the Turbo better.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, tonyvee said:

stage 1 done on the ecoboost 1.0 and stuck with a K&N panel filter, obtained awesome results! - doesn't need anymore than that.

Just curious, what is an, "awesome result" on a 1 litre engine?

• 3 years later...

Hiya all

Ive just bought a 1 liter ecoboost focus mk3 

I want a bit more throatyness would a k&n air filter do this   plus any one put a sports back box on one  

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, redders1979 said:

I want a bit more throatyness would a k&n air filter do this   plus any one put a sports back box on one  

You need to message @tonyvee he got 'Awesome results' with a K&N filter. The more power you can screw out of your engine now the bigger the boom will be when the belt goes. 😉

• Haha 1

Standard air filter, but clean

The airbox is common across all models, up to 2.0 ST and it doesn't matter what you do, you will never breathe as much air as a 2.0

K&Ns also oil up the MAF sensor

• Like 1

Could get it mapped to 140bhp, K&N (had one in mine but didn't notice any difference in sound), plus an aftermarket back box.

Will be great for a while 😉