Do Not Sell My Personal Information

stop start not working

rien

I have a ford focus ST 18 reg and the stop start system has stopped working. I read somewhere the battery monitor can be reset to correct this fault by going to ignition and pressing a routine of several buttons. this car is keyless so going to ignition would mean having the engine running. is this OK.

Help would be appreciated

You can turn on the ignition in a keyless car by pressing the start button without depressing the clutch (or brake as appropriate).

Ignition on (not engine, just press the button without the clutch)

Press rear fog 5 times

Press hazard lights 3 times

Wait to see the battery light flash on dash (10 seconds roughly)

Switch ignition off

It may be that your battery does not have enough charge in it. As an example, we also have a Citroen with Start/Stop, and if below 72-73% charged, the start/stop will not function.

I would be surprised if your 2018 start/stop would not be working, if it has a decent charge in it. I have a 2016 ST, do not drive it regularly, and start/stop normally works soon after starting. I would firstly give the battery a decent charge with a battery charger, to see if it then works. Make sure the battery charger is capable of a decent charge rate, as start/stop batteries normally require a higher charge rate than a standard battery.

I would also be inclined to have the battery fully charged, before carrying out the battery monitor reset.

• 1 year later...

I realise this thread is over a year old, but did you ever get this resolved and if so was the solution a reset of the battery monitor? Thanks.

29 minutes ago, MK321 said:

I realise this thread is over a year old, but did you ever get this resolved and if so was the solution a reset of the battery monitor? Thanks.

Looks like the original poster only made that 1 comment last year and hasn't been back since,
I will add though that due to lack of activity lately my Stop/Start hasn't worked either,
but I had a good run out Monday and it started working again for me this morning.
There are a few threads about this issue, basically your battery has to be in good shape/charge to work,
If it's been idle a lot or too many short trips then your car will not use Start/Stop, it needs too much energy to start the engine constantly.

2478be0710211a7d2724f77ccf78a293.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAIDER32 said:

Looks like the original poster only made that 1 comment last year and hasn't been back since,
I will add though that due to lack of activity lately my Stop/Start hasn't worked either,
but I had a good run out Monday and it started working again for me this morning.
There are a few threads about this issue, basically your battery has to be in good shape/charge to work,
If it's been idle a lot or too many short trips then your car will not use Start/Stop, it needs too much energy to start the engine constantly.

Thank you.

Yeah, mainly do short trips, but don’t  recall it ever working for me since owning the car and it worked fine with the MK3.5 that I had before. I’m going to mention it the next time the car gets serviced, but will probably be told journeys are too short and battery not charged enough. I have a smart charger that I’ve used a few times, but this doesn’t seems to get the S/S working either.

I only ever do short journeys. In these circumstances few of them. My S/S has worked impeccably last few months. Air Conditioning, blowers on high , everything on...working every time! I was getting used to it not working before! I’ve heard all the theory’s , the logic , the technical stuff. This goes against all of that. 

Ive got A citroen. Its A 19 plate. The stop start is also not currently working. The green thingy flashes on the dash. I think as said above it neeeds a very good run to get it working again. I have done some 30 min drives in it, but I am not certain that that is enough. To be honest I am not too worried about it. If I can get to do a very good run back down south once this all blows over and it is still not kicking Ill get it to the local dealership under warrenty.

4 minutes ago, guy woodbridge said:

Ive got A citroen. Its A 19 plate. The stop start is also not currently working. The green thingy flashes on the dash. I think as said above it neeeds a very good run to get it working again. I have done some 30 min drives in it, but I am not certain that that is enough. To be honest I am not too worried about it. If I can get to do a very good run back down south once this all blows over and it is still not kicking Ill get it to the local dealership under warrenty.

If you're really concerned stick it on a charger overnight that can handle EFB/AGM type batteries, then go for a run the next day. It's also an opportunity to see the battery needs conditioning. 

6 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I only ever do short journeys. In these circumstances few of them. My S/S has worked impeccably last few months. Air Conditioning, blowers on high , everything on...working every time! I was getting used to it not working before! I’ve heard all the theory’s , the logic , the technical stuff. This goes against all of that. 

Does your Focus have a manual gearbox or is it an auto? From what I’ve read elsewhere it seems to mainly affect automatics. On one German forum there are 200 odd pages in a thread on this subject with the general consensus being poor battery monitoring/management and even replacing the battery only provides a short term fix and/or a software glitch requiring an update and many workshops not able/willing to carry this out. I also have an issue with keyless entry only working on the drivers door 😠

Sorry, found other threads on this forum now. Can see this has already been discussed in detail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK321 said:

Sorry, found other threads on this forum now. Can see this has already been discussed in detail.

Yeah automatic. Don’t think there’s a link 🤔 

I don’t have keyless but pretty sure it’s only early mk4 has keyless entry on all 4 doors. 

I think most manufacturers have issues with stop/start. 

34 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Yeah automatic. Don’t think there’s a link 🤔 

I don’t have keyless but pretty sure it’s only early mk4 has keyless entry on all 4 doors. 

I think most manufacturers have issues with stop/start. 

Thanks. Yeah looks like it’s pretty common.

19 hours ago, Ennvoqation said:

If you're really concerned stick it on a charger overnight that can handle EFB/AGM type batteries, then go for a run the next day. It's also an opportunity to see the battery needs conditioning. 

Had thought of this. Sadly I cant do that because I am parked on a main road. So impossible. I am not massively fussed to be honest. Ill just do a trip back down south which is a 300+ round trip. If still no good then il get it sorted.

• 3 months later...

Understand this is an old thread - but posting this in case it helps as I came across this thread several times when searching for a way to fix my stop/start issues..

I have a 2019 ford focus mk4 titanium x estate 1.0 ecoboost 125ps manual with push button start,  and from the day I got it stop/start didnt work. I tried charging the battery but to no avail, and several long drives made no difference. Speaking to Ford they stated I mustn't have been doing long enough drives to keep the battery state of charge up and were fairly dismissive.

Looking around online I saw reference to resetting the bms using the rear fog light and hazard warning light method, but this didnt work on my car. Most forums referenced this method on earlier models.

On another forum the following method was mentioned - which seemed to work.

Get in car, turn on (but dont start the engine), flash high beams 5 times, press the brake all the way down three times. The battery symbol should flash.

After this however,  I had a drive and stop start still didnt work.

I then updated my sync3 software via the following website (this required a usb flash drive to download the update and install direct to the car)

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

After the update, and uploading the resultant xml file created, this morning I went for a drive and stop/start worked for the first time.

I can't be certain whether it was the bms reset, or software update, or both - but if anyone is still having issues, it may be worth trying the above.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club