Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con not working

bedfordford

Hi I have a Focus 1.5tdci 2015. The aircon is not working I have topped it up and it shows pressure but the compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in. I have checked fuses and they are ok. Is there anything I have missed. Thanks in advance.

Have you done the top up yourself? Better have a garage do it so it can be completely drained and refreshed

If you're using a DIY can of gas you cant get an accurate pressure reading without the compressor running.  Was there pressure in the system before you tried to top it?  Does your engine cooling fan work?  Have you tried bridging the low pressure switch?

pressure reading was low before it was topped up normal now. I don't know where the low pressure switch is?

Anyone reading this thread without the skill to 'top it up' themselves should consider going to the likes of KwikFit. For a flat fee of £59.95, they drain, pressure test, and re gas. In addition, if it doesn't 'take' you get a full refund so you don't lose out if it doesn't work. I know loads of folk are cynical of chain service garages, but for many of us mortals, they are very useful. I got mine done 3 weeks ago and it's icy cold...

18 hours ago, bedfordford said:

pressure reading was low before it was topped up normal now. I don't know where the low pressure switch is?

If it was very low there's probably leak in the system.  The pressure switch appears to be just behind the top of the condenser on the facelift Focus, I'm not sure if you'll have to remove anything for access to it though.  It's a different location to the prefacelift.

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Anyone reading this thread without the skill to 'top it up' themselves should consider going to the likes of KwikFit. For a flat fee of £59.95, they drain, pressure test, and re gas. In addition, if it doesn't 'take' you get a full refund so you don't lose out if it doesn't work. I know loads of folk are cynical of chain service garages, but for many of us mortals, they are very useful. I got mine done 3 weeks ago and it's icy cold...

£60 isn't cheap though, and you only get the refund if they detect the leak.  I had 2 chain stores refill mine and neither noticed a minor leak, the first time the gas all came out on the drive home.  I repaired that leak and decided to use a different garage.  Their gas only lasted a couple of weeks.  Gave up after that.  The Mk3 Focus is just full of common AC leaks unfortunately.  In fact, the lack of AC in the heatwave last year was one of the reasons I bought another car...one with twice the miles and three times the age and ice cold air conditioning...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so had it regassed at garage all working and will hopefully stay that way 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

£60 isn't cheap though, and you only get the refund if they detect the leak...

I suppose it's all relative. On my Toyota GT4, when the AirCon compressor went ***** up, Toyota wanted £1200 for a new one, got one off eBay for £50 and had it fitted, still works after 10 years use. On my old Merc last year, I got it regassed only for it to disappear after a few days. Got full refund from KwikFit and I knew at least the system had the potential to work, but obviously had a leak somewhere. Turned out to be the condenser radiator which amazingly was only £70 for a branded Hella unit. Anyway, for £60 odd,I was happy to get the AC back in operation on my recently acquired Focus, and after 3 weeks, all still working, so am hopeful is a fix that'll last...

• Like 1

My “new” compressor was a scrap one for £40, still works a year later.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, TomsFocus said:

In fact, the lack of AC in the heatwave last year was one of the reasons I bought another car...one with twice the miles and three times the age and ice cold air conditioning..

Good move I'd say Tom. I put up with the mk3 Air con not working through last summer; nearly killed me!!  Still can't be bothered to get it fixed it'll be a waste of time I reckon and money as it'll probably just leak again somewhere else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert27 said:

Good move I'd say Tom. I put up with the mk3 Air con not working through last summer; nearly killed me!!  Still can't be bothered to get it fixed it'll be a waste of time I reckon and money as it'll probably just leak again somewhere else.  

I'm such a wimp now, I couldn't drive a car without working A/C. It's amazing how many used cars have broken A/C. I bought a used Merc last year without it, under the assumption I could get it fixed. Took me forever, more money than I thought, and was a real hassle, in addition to failing again after a year. I simply wouldmn't buy a used car now without it working, as not only do I 'need' it, but it gives me an insight into the ownership of the car in whether they could be bothered maintaining it. If it didn't work, what else would they have neglected...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Albert27 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your Mk2 AC still works?  When I sold mine at 10 years old it was still ice cold!  Never even had a regas to my knowledge.  They don't make 'em like they used to... :rolleyes:  Though I must admit I always found the 'volume' of cold air in the mk2 a bit weak...ice cold at the vents but took ages to cool the car down.

As you know, I'm still on the lookout for another car but will definitely not buy one without working AC!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your Mk2 AC still works?  When I sold mine at 10 years old it was still ice cold!  Never even had a regas to my knowledge.  They don't make 'em like they used to... :rolleyes:  Though I must admit I always found the 'volume' of cold air in the mk2 a bit weak...ice cold at the vents but took ages to cool the car down.

As you know, I'm still on the lookout for another car but will definitely not buy one without working AC!

Yes it does!  Owned the car since 2013 77k . . . . . . . . never had a re gas and yes still ICE cold at 166k!  Solid!  The only thing the mk3 has over the mk2 in my opinion is a nicer interior, dials etc. My main gripes with the mk3 are a/c, brakes are snatchy & steering is over sensitive.

20 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm such a wimp now, I couldn't drive a car without working A/C. It's amazing how many used cars have broken A/C. I bought a used Merc last year without it, under the assumption I could get it fixed. Took me forever, more money than I thought, and was a real hassle, in addition to failing again after a year. I simply wouldmn't buy a used car now without it working, as not only do I 'need' it, but it gives me an insight into the ownership of the car in whether they could be bothered maintaining it. If it didn't work, what else would they have neglected...

I'm with you, however it's amazing what I'll do when the choice is between my pocket and being comfortable in summer 😄  How many cars do you have?  Do you maintain them all yourself?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert27 said:

I'm with you except it's amazing what I'll do when it the choice is between my pocket and being comfortable in summer 😄  How many cars do you have?  Do you maintain them all yourself?

Up until 2 weeks ago I had 3! Now down to one, my lowly little LX Focus. Though in terms of condition, it's a genuine minter, and everything just works! Unlike my old Merc and even older Celica GT4 which always needed something done, usually fatal, and usually expensive LOL Haven't done any real monkey work since I owned my Datsun 120Y in the 70s! Am on the look out for another car, preferably LPG as I felt awfully smug filling the Merc up for £28!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, TomsFocus said:

That's also my experience, my early MK2 went in to a well known chain/franchise last year to have the AC regassed and system cleaned (groupon offer), although the AC was still cold I though for £36 (at the time) it can't hurt and might make it even colder.  I'm say in the waiting room whilst they're messing with my car looking really confused, bloke comes to speak to me, "so what did you say the problem was with your AC because it's blowing as cold as it would have done from the factory?!?" 🤣

It's never been regassed although I try to remember to let the AC run for 3-5 minutes each month to keep the rubber seals from perishing.  It does seem that the MK3 is a lot more vulnerable to AC leaks (does it user the newer thinner type of refridgerant) because the AC place I took my car to said the newer gas leaks a lot easier (regardless of the model of car).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

That's also my experience, my early MK2 went in to a well known chain/franchise last year to have the AC regassed and system cleaned (groupon offer), although the AC was still cold I though for £36 (at the time) it can't hurt and might make it even colder.  I'm say in the waiting room whilst they're messing with my car looking really confused, bloke comes to speak to me, "so what did you say the problem was with your AC because it's blowing as cold as it would have done from the factory?!?" 🤣

It's never been regassed although I try to remember to let the AC run for 3-5 minutes each month to keep the rubber seals from perishing.  It does seem that the MK3 is a lot more vulnerable to AC leaks (does it user the newer thinner type of refridgerant) because the AC place I took my car to said the newer gas leaks a lot easier (regardless of the model of car).

Haha! :laugh:

The Mk3 still uses the same R143a refrigerant as the Mk2, it's not until late Mk3.5 (around 2017) that the new R1234YF came out.  The issue with the Mk3 seems to be with the seals.  Plus they didn't put enough AC gas in at the factory which likely means there wasn't enough oil to keep those seals fresh either.  When I spoke to a proper AC guy about it, he suggested replacing all of the seals and said he sees a lot of Mk3s with multiple minor seal leaks. Typical Ford cost cutting on small items that causes big problems down the line...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Haha! :laugh:

The Mk3 still uses the same R143a refrigerant as the Mk2, it's not until late Mk3.5 (around 2017) that the new R1234YF came out.  The issue with the Mk3 seems to be with the seals.  Plus they didn't put enough AC gas in at the factory which likely means there wasn't enough oil to keep those seals fresh either.  When I spoke to a proper AC guy about it, he suggested replacing all of the seals and said he sees a lot of Mk3s with multiple minor seal leaks. Typical Ford cost cutting on small items that causes big problems down the line...

Considering how good their European chassis design team(s) is it really is a shame that the beancounters always seem to get involved to spoil things.

I bet those kind of people get invited out to lots of social functions 😂 "oooh yes, I had a great day today.  I managed to save the Company £2.56 per vehicle produced by reducing the amount of AC refridgerant in each build by 25%....what could possible go wrong?!?" = NO FRIENDS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

It's never been regassed although I try to remember to let the AC run for 3-5 minutes each month to keep the rubber seals from perishing. 

Any car I've ever run, the AirCon is on permanently! Even in winter as the dryer air provided keeps the glass from misting up. I do know that many folk don't like A/C air, and yes, I know it takes petrol to power it, but it's my ball LOL

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Any car I've ever run, the AirCon is on permanently!

Always done the same, never had any bother😀

4 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Considering how good their European chassis design team(s) is it really is a shame that the beancounters always seem to get involved to spoil things.

I bet those kind of people get invited out to lots of social functions 😂 "oooh yes, I had a great day today.  I managed to save the Company £2.56 per vehicle produced by reducing the amount of AC refridgerant in each build by 25%....what could possible go wrong?!?" = NO FRIENDS!

Tbf I am that sort of boring guy myself... :laugh:

A neighbour recently bought a 330d...first thing I asked was how many mpg it does... :lol:

Apparently it wasn't bought for mpg... :whistling:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf I am that sort of boring guy myself... :laugh:

A neighbour recently bought a 330d...first thing I asked was how many mpg it does... :lol:

Apparently it wasn't bought for mpg... :whistling:

Nothing to be ashamed of, apparently you can get 47mpg out of one of those beasts, which is pretty impressive LOL

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys... i recently replaced my AC compressor, drier and exp valve...  but the problem is that the compressor is not cycling on/off... some tech says it may me the climate control sensor or thermistor is faulty... where is this located and where can i buy this if ever it is the case? or any other opinion on what other causes the problem?