Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Fuel Economy ? 1.0 Ecoboost

HH0319

Hi , Not too sure if Ive posted this in the correct section but I purcahsed a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost ( 100BHP) 5dr 64 Plate and I have been driving it for about 4 weeks now however I've noticed that the car seems to be giving me poor mpg ranging from 32-37mpg and only giving me about 290 miles for a full tank. Is this a common thing with the ecoboost engines in a Fiesta ? and has anyone been experiencing the same as me. Was only wondering as Ford emphasied the fuel efficiency with these engines.

Thanks 

Tbf some short and some long , I commute to work in the morning which I drive to a train station and that is only about a 10 min drive mainly five days a week 

short trips with many cold starts can have a great impact on fuel economy , with a 10 minutes drive you never allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature to perform at its best, plus its unhealthy for engine longevity as well.

normal operating temperature doesn't mean necessarily the coolant temperature only , normally allow 10 minutes more of drive after the coolant has reached its normal temperature to allow the oil as well to reach its normal temperature.

be gentle on the accelerator pedal , accelerate gently , predict upcoming stops and coast in gear as the injectors shut off completely when coasting.

for highway drive try not to go very fast , perhaps 62 or max 70 mph will be great .

mine gives me about 8l / 100 km in stop and go traffic , and about 3 to 4 l / 100 km on highway.

This Ecoboost is very good at fuel economy when driven gently , and very good at performance , perhaps the same as 1.6 NA engine, when driven with spirit , but with the fuel consumption of the 1.6 too !! its 2 in 1 engine , and its your choice and its all about what you want from that engine. 🙂 🙂

On short town journeys in stop start traffic that sounds about right. The economy of these little turbo cars depends how and where you drive it. On a long motorway journey doing 70mph you will get the claimed mpg.

32-37mpg is very low for a 1.0 Ecoboost. I get over 40 out of my ST (1.6 Ecoboost)!

you can get good fuel economy in town from a 1.0 EcoBoost if driven "correctly"

first, you can have eco or boost but not both at the same time you must pick one.

if you pick eco you need to do the following to get best mpg

• accelerate gently keeping rpm low change up at 1800 rpm and down at 1200rpm 
  • try not to use the brakes slow gradually using a trailing throttle
  • switch off non-essential accessories like ac heated screen etc
  • try not to stop at every red light move to a trailing throttle early and give it time to turn green before you get there same is true for any other possible hold up. anticipate what could happen up ahead and give any potential hold up time to clear
  • controversial one this but i believe super unleaded gives better mpg in the EcoBoost after flicking back and forth a few times between Tesco standard and momentum it costs around 4% more but gives around 8% better fuel economy.

using the above I get around 400 miles from a tank on short town driving (43mpg approx) and 550 miles from a tank of long cross country journies (59mpg approx)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Around town I get about 30 mpg, on a motorway run it’s in the 50s, I only do about 6000 miles a year so I’m happy.

Low to mid 40's in stop start town driving and low to mid 50's mpg on motorways (usually around 70mph ish) on my ST-Line 140 Fiesta.

Unless there's something wrong with your car it's most likely your driving style plus the very short journeys on a cold engine.

As mentioned above, smooth driving and anticipation.

Keep off the gas and brakes as much as possible, leave big gaps to the car in front, at 70mph on the motorway you should be at least 70 metres from the car in front ( I try to leave about 100 metres at that speed)  and more if the conditions are poor.

The old slogan "only a fool breaks the two second rule" is still a good one to adhere to in dry conditions. Double that in the wet and multiply by 10 if it's icy. The 2 second rule (the minimum distance you should aim for) roughly equates to Speed in mph = Metres(yards) of gap. e.g. if you are traveling at 40mph the minimum distance you should be from car in front in dry conditions is 40 Metres. I know this is mainly a safety rule but it will also help in fuel economy as it leaves you a good distance to anticipate the road ahead and avoid braking.

In towns with stop/start traffic don't keep edging forward every time the car in front moves two feet, wait until there is a gap that allows you to keep moving for a reasonable amount of time if possible.

• Like 1

I used to live in Nottingham city centre and my mpg was roughly the same.   I now live on the outskirts on the A610 5 minutes from J26 M1.   The mpg has shot up and is now usually in the mid 40s.

Evening

my car is the titanium x ecoboost 125 and i'm averaging 31.3mpg which i ifnd poor because the figures say 52.3 in town but i am only doing a 2 mile journey to work everyday.

it is true what they say with these engines you can have eco or boost but not together.

to put it in perspective a mate of mine has a kuga 1.5 ecoboost awd auto that has done 3700 miles in 2 years, not used very often and that's averaging 26.4mpg. 

we are both not happy with the figures but it is just something you put up with because both cars are fantastic otherwise.

9 hours ago, statts said:

Evening

my car is the titanium x ecoboost 125 and i'm averaging 31.3mpg which i ifnd poor because the figures say 52.3 in town but i am only doing a 2 mile journey to work everyday.

it is true what they say with these engines you can have eco or boost but not together.

31 is pretty good considering your car never gets warmed up.

• Like 1

I get about 43-44mpg out of mine, when I first got it a year ago it was really low I’m guessing the owner before me had been doing short journeys but she’s racked up 48,000 miles in 3 years lol I’ve done 8,000 miles in the last year. Mine is a 15reg 1.0 ecoboost. I really regret getting an ecoboost given all their problems and check the coolant regularly and have had to have a new seal on the tank at £75 as it was missing meaning I was losing coolant

• 9 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 9:07 PM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

short trips with many cold starts can have a great impact on fuel economy , with a 10 minutes drive you never allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature to perform at its best, plus its unhealthy for engine longevity as well.

normal operating temperature doesn't mean necessarily the coolant temperature only , normally allow 10 minutes more of drive after the coolant has reached its normal temperature to allow the oil as well to reach its normal temperature.

be gentle on the accelerator pedal , accelerate gently , predict upcoming stops and coast in gear as the injectors shut off completely when coasting.

for highway drive try not to go very fast , perhaps 62 or max 70 mph will be great .

mine gives me about 8l / 100 km in stop and go traffic , and about 3 to 4 l / 100 km on highway.

This Ecoboost is very good at fuel economy when driven gently , and very good at performance , perhaps the same as 1.6 NA engine, when driven with spirit , but with the fuel consumption of the 1.6 too !! its 2 in 1 engine , and its your choice and its all about what you want from that engine. 🙂 🙂

So your getting 29.9 MPG I thought ours was poor at 33MPG!

• Like 1

Was off work all of last week (decorating, not skiving 🙂 )  coincided with a neighbour having her car stolen so I volunteered to get her daughter to school and then drop her off to work for the week. The school run was about 3 miles of stop/start town driving, then the run from the school to her workplace  was about 4 miles of town driving.

(Fiesta ST-Line X 140 (2019) with just under 6,000 miles on the clock)

It was a frosty start on 3 of the mornings so had the car running with the screen heaters on whilst I scraped the ice off the side windows.

I reset the trip 1 counters before I started the week as  I realised it would be a good test of the sort of mileage I would get in these conditions .

I averaged about 19mph on those journeys and did and indicated 39mpg, probably about a true 37mpg. Don't think that was too bad considering the car was idling for 2 minutes each morning whilst I was clearing the frost.Had the temperature been above freezing I'm guessing I would have got about 42mpg.

So I'm not sure what you guys are doing to get under 30mpg , assuming there's nothing wrong with your cars mechanically.?

17 hours ago, Ian Kennedy said:

So your getting 29.9 MPG I thought ours was poor at 33MPG!

Results for mine during the last year::

Pure Motorway @ 60-70 = 57 MPG

Average combined Urban & Motorway = 42 MPG

Short infrequent journeys Urban (Now / Winter) = 33 MPG

Driving style is 'normal' - not purposefully being overly gentle, but not 'spirited' either.

Numbers are similar to other recent cars I've had (1.5 NA & 1.4 TFSI) with the exception of the impressive pure motorway of 57 MPG.

I think the 1.0L EB engine is very sensitive to driving style. I could easily make it drop below 30 MPG at this time of year with a slightly heaver right foot and more air-con.

• Like 1

I always measure using the "brim to brim" method rather than going by the trip computer, so all my figures are, in effect, average per tankful.

Overall average over 2 years is 45, best ever tankful 53. I don't normally do short trips or get stuck in traffic. As Gary says, it seems very sensitive to driving conditions/style and I have found that even a relatively short spell of driving in heavy traffic (as I had to last week) really pulls the average down into the 30's. 

I don't think it's bad for a car of it's performance and, like most cars nowadays, the Mk 8 is no featherweight. (My 140 weighs 1190kg, my first Mk1 weighed 715kg!). 

• Like 1

I do the same as Roger and measure brim to brim.   My latest car is an automatic Ecoboost 100 and I've only done 2000 miles in it so far.   The best I've got is 41.93 and the worst is 35.56.   The lower figure was achieved by only driving in town and in freezing temperatures.

I drive in Leicester, those who know will know it’s an awful place for trying to get MPG’s up. Mines hovering around 37.5 at the moment, should improve in the summer.

Just had a look at the data for my last Fiesta. Also an Ecoboost 100.   Best was on a long run in summer and was 57.5 mpg.   The worst was in winter (freezing temperatures) and was 34.7 mpg.

• Like 1

I use an Android app called Fuelio to track MPG over time.  It uses the full tank method of course.

Great free app that can produce some handy reports that will really depress you when you see the costs over the years 🙂

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kajda.fuelio&hl=en_GB

We have done 2 refills on our Fiesta & nearly 2 years on our previous 2018 Ka+.  The Ford trip computers have been pretty well bang on unlike the 69 plate Skoda I currently have and my previous 67 plate Kia. The biggest laugh is the Skoda that gives a pretty accurate figure on the Apple app plugged in through Apple CarPlay, but a 10%ish over allowance on the cars trip computer.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bobr said:

I do the same as Roger and measure brim to brim.

I always do brim to brim for the true figure but have been keeping an eye on the figures that I get from the dash reading over the same trip and it's not that far off.

A Dash indicated 50mpg equates to 47.5 - 48.0 over my last few tests. So about 4% over optimistic.

The figures I gave for the  untypical week of short town journeys was from the Dash readings as I hadn't had to fill up that week.

Evening

Current mpg on my fiesta 125bhp 36.3. i reset my trip computer about 6 months ago so it has gone up from 31-32 but as i am now training to be a driving instructor i have had to iron out all my bad habits. i try to let the stop/start activate but with my 2 mile commute to work it hardly ever works.

hope this helps

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club