Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keys Spinning In Lock

victoria

Hi, Can anyone help me? Both of my keys are spinning in all my locks meaning I can't even get into my car.

It started doing it a bit a few weeks ago and has got worse to the point where they won't catch at all.

Both keys are spares that have been cut since I bought it as the originals were lost.

I don't know whether it's the key- though it seems odd that it's both- or the locks- but again its's both passenger doors AND the boot.

The driver door lock had been stiff recently. I wonder if they have been damaged twisting it quite forcefully to open it recently?

Any help gratefully received. I dont know whether to get new keys cut or what..

Victoria

First of all what year is the car, is the shaft of the key turning in the black plastic part of the key or is the whole lock spinning? more than likely it is the tumblers inside of the barrel that are worn...these can be repaired but it would mean having to take your lock out to enable the lock to be refurbished.

Its an R reg so quite old.. 1.1

The keys do seem to spin a bit away from the plastic.. I cant tell whether it's the whole lock spinning or just the metal part of the key though. The key works ok in the ignition..

Are the tumblers/barrels in the locks? Could it be poss that they've all gone together then?

If I can actually get into it would I need to take it to a Ford dealer so they can look at the locks? Any idea how much is costs?!

It will be the tumblers worn, we have repaired 100's of these, to get into the car get some grease and put it onto the end of the key what you put into the lock, try 'jiggling' around BUT if the head is spinning you will have to get a pair of mole grips on it, this might take 10 mins or so but the grease normally packs the worn tumbler enough to get it open. Then You have 2 options

1) Take it to a dealer where they will fit a new barrel at the cost of £54.01 + Labour (prob £60 at a guess)

2) Get someone to remove the lock for you (easy enough job) send the barrel and a key to us and we can refurbish it for £10.00 :) Done the day we get it and posted back same day.

OK cool. So would I need to remove the locks on the driver door, passenger door AND boot? Do you think they've all worn?

If the key works in the ignition like you say yes its a good chance they are all worn, has the cut keys worked in the locks before and just got worse and worse, did they start by feeling abit 'notchy' and tight?

Yes, I've used both keys for years.

About three months ago, the lock on the drivers door suddenly went really stiff and I had to use a bit of force to twist the key in it. It did it a few times. But yes, it got progressively stiffer - only that lock though.

I wondered whether I had damaged the keys by doing that..

Right it sounds like its just your drivers lock thats knackered...... you have probably just messed the key up (loosened it from plastic) whilst trying to force it thats why it wont work in others... if you turn the key shaft in the passengers or boot lock using a par of mole grips i think you will find that it works... if you do remove the lock it will probably be worth while getting a new key cut also...has yours the red chip in? if so have you the red master key?

That sounds about right. I will get a new key cut to see if it works..

will also get the drivers door lock taken out and send to you with (new?) key.

I dont see any red chips. I think both the keys I was originally given when I bought the car have been lost. Both I have now have been cut from the original..

What's your address to post the lock and key to?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes send the new key as well , you can get our address from the website www.fordpartscentre.co.uk and also a contact number, the day you send it give us a bell and we can take credit or debit card payment over the phone and as soon as the lock arrives we will get it refurbed and sent back the same day.

Thanks

Graham

Yes send the new key as well , you can get our address from the website www.fordpartscentre.co.uk and also a contact number, the day you send it give us a bell and we can take credit or debit card payment over the phone and as soon as the lock arrives we will get it refurbed and sent back the same day.

Thanks

Graham

hi

do you have a price for a set of rubber mats for fiesta 59 plate please regards paul

hi

do you have a price for a set of rubber mats for fiesta 59 plate please regards paul

Hi paul

£21.15 for fronts

£12.87 for rears

£8.00 delivery

all available to purchase on site www.fordpartscentre.co.uk

:)

• 12 years later...

Ignition key ,, it turns all bag of mashings on dash ,  then just spins round without kicking engine on  , any help arrt theer ,sorry forgot to mention , Ford Tranny Van Mk6 , 2002 plate   thank you 

• Like 1

It's better to start new a new thread than post in one twelve years old!

• Like 1

Ignition switch fault (£15 on eBay) easy to change. Common fault.👍