Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Rear number plate

Jwatson

Hi all

So my MK2 just failed it’s MOT due to an “illegible” number plate. Got a new one however had a mission of a job to remove the old, the screws were just spinning and with no easy access to the back I just snapped the old plate off.

I then used a claw hammer to pull out the screw and rivet. My question is where can I get replacement rivets and what size do they need to be? Also do you need a special tool to get them in?

thanks in advance

Just get some double sided tape (you can't go wrong with the 3M VHB stuff). It looks miles cleaner and means you don't have to drill out/ riv-nut anything

It is currently taped on but I’ve had to use a lot of sticky pads on top of each other just to make it flush with where the rivnuts were before. It feels secure but just feel when I wash the car it will fall off. Or some moron will just pull it off.

so would prefer to re-rivet if anyone knows the size that would be most helpful

Trust me as long as you clean the area before, it wont fall off. The last numberplate i removed that was stuck on felt like it would snap before it came off the car. You'd have to drill the rest of the rivet out anyway, so can reduce the number of pads stacked ontop of each other.

If you really are so adamant on having it screwed on (which btw doesn't make it any harder to rip off), then you can get rivnut kits off ebay/amazon. Comes with various sizes so you just use the one that is the closest fit to the sized hole you're left with. They rivet a threaded insert into the boot lid, so you can screw the numberplate on with machine screws. Most people don't bother with any of this and just end up using self-tappers instead.

On my GT4, I held the number plates on with 'sticky tape', it's lasted so far in excess of 15 years. However, I used proper sticky pads on my Focus a coupe of months ago. and they lasted 2 weeks before peeling off. On losing patience, I just drilled my number plates and mounted with traditional yellow/ white screws. Prepared to admit that the 'proper' number plate pads I bought off eBay were just rubbish LOL

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

On my GT4, I held the number plates on with 'sticky tape', it's lasted so far in excess of 15 years.

Have to admit, I've got my front held on with a few of doubles over rings of filament tape, one on either end and one top and bottom running the length of the plate.. 14 months in and all still on. Could do with a new plate really but until this falls off it's all gravy. Honestly expected it to have been pilfered by now, mind..

35 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

On my GT4, I held the number plates on with 'sticky tape', it's lasted so far in excess of 15 years. However, I used proper sticky pads on my Focus a coupe of months ago. and they lasted 2 weeks before peeling off. On losing patience, I just drilled my number plates and mounted with traditional yellow/ white screws. Prepared to admit that the 'proper' number plate pads I bought off Ebay were just rubbish LOL

Were they the skinny white ones or the thicker grey ones?  Really needs to be the thick grey ones on the curved front bumper.  The white ones are usually ok on the rear though, I've not lost a plate so far.

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Were they the skinny white ones or the thicker grey ones?  Really needs to be the thick grey ones on the curved front bumper.  The white ones are usually ok on the rear though, I've not lost a plate so far.

They were thick white ones - this is the actual listing posted just so others can avoid!!

Do NOT buy this sticky fixer for number plates!

• Thanks 1

That just looks like ordinary domestic d/s foam tape rather than the proper more powerful stuff intended for plates. I suspect the seller is being "economical with the truth".

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

They were thick white ones - this is the actual listing posted just so others can avoid!!

Do NOT buy this sticky fixer for number plates!

That doesn't look thick and doesn't mention a depth in the ad, pretty sure that's just thin white ones in a roll.

The ones that work are the 6mm grey ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Number-Plate-Double-Sided-Foam-Adhesive-Fixing-Pads-Sticky-Pads-6mm-Oversized/282818801742?epid=24013520286&hash=item41d950704e:g:ADIAAOSwLUpaZftD

I've just seen that there are now plenty of 3M ones on eBay as well...they'll work well but will be impossible to remove after having stuck dashcams on with that stuff! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I've just seen that there are now plenty of 3M ones on ebay as well...they'll work well but will be impossible to remove after having stuck dashcams on with that stuff! :laugh: 

Oh yeah. Very experienced with that bit....

Almost like Ford's Perma-Glue that they bond headlight lenses with.. I wish that was something I could get a hold of to stick my reflectors in with!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That doesn't look thick and doesn't mention a depth in the ad, pretty sure that's just thin white ones in a roll.

The ones that work are the 6mm grey ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Number-Plate-Double-Sided-Foam-Adhesive-Fixing-Pads-Sticky-Pads-6mm-Oversized/282818801742?epid=24013520286&hash=item41d950704e:g:ADIAAOSwLUpaZftD

I've just seen that there are now plenty of 3M ones on ebay as well...they'll work well but will be impossible to remove after having stuck dashcams on with that stuff! :laugh:

Dam, I would never have thought posting a 'sticky fixer' question on here would result in eluding to such excellent results, and, I'd have thought you'd have all laughed at me! Well, lesson learned...

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club