Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion 1.4TDCi EGR blanking

Ajsski99
聽Share

Hi all.

Was recommended I come here after my last post as there seems to be more of you in this section聽馃檪聽Am looking to get聽an EGR blanking plate off of eBay to fit to the EGR Valve, to try and increase fuel economy and power but I have a few questions.

Will it be worth it?

Heard it can cause a few issues such as Engine lights coming on... would this happen and how easy is the fix?

All answers are much appreciated, Ajsski99

14 minutes ago, Ajsski99 said:

EGR blanking plate off of eBay to fit to the EGR Valve, to try and increase fuel economy and power

A blanking plate is not likely to do either of those unless your EGR is actually faulty. The EGR will always close at wide throttle openings, so blanking will not affect max power unless leaking badly. The ECU is optimised for use with the EGR, so unless it is re-mapped, fuel consumption will generally be a little worse with a blanking plate. I have found this on my car.

The benefits of a blanking plate are a little better driveability at low speed and pull-away, less carbon build-up in the inlet manifold, and diagnosing or hiding problems due to a faulty EGR. I have used one several times when my EGR started playing up. But I have now replaced the actuator part of my EGR. The car seems better now, power wise and MPG wise, without the plate than before, with the plate and a dodgy EGR.

From other reports, I doubt if fitting a plate will make the EML come on on, on a 2008 1.4TDCI. Plates with a hole stated to "stop the EML problem" are just a waste of time and money though.

Removing the EGR gains you very little power imo. If it really did increase power then surely those who modify their cars would be removing the EGR as one of the first things they do. By modders I聽mean serious tuners, not these who think an "induction kit" and a massive ***** can as an exhaust is modified lol.

To me it seems EGR removals are mostly done by those driving a 20 year banger聽with 100,000 miles on it running a bottle of red-ex in the fuel tank because they claim it聽makes it run more efficiently... oh and they're also the sort of person who says modern cars have too many electrics/devices fitted that is just "more to go wrong".

I was going to say go and learn how an EGR works then decide if you feel it's necessary, but looks like Peter has saved you the Google. Oh and also it's an MOT failure should the tester spot the blanking plate instead of the EGR Valve.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club