MartinHns

Turbo cooldown

Hiya I've a fiesta st3 has anybody got some tips on looking after a turbo like cooldown and stuff 

On 4/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, MartinHns said:

Hiya I've a fiesta st3 has anybody got some tips on looking after a turbo like cooldown and stuff 

I don't think you have to worry about engine temp cool down unless you've been driving it really hard like on a race track. What I like to do although it may be pointless as I don't constantly thrash the car is let the engine run for a few minutes when I get to my destination and use the hot air from the vents. I see the coolant temperature gauge very slowly lower. Don't know if it makes a difference and if it gets rid of the hit air near the oil. 

Normally by the time you have parked up the engine has ticked over  enough to make sure there has been good supply of oil to the turbo.

The turbo on the ST180 is also water cooled in addition to being oil cooled, and when you switch the engine off the water coolant still circulates by design.

Service the oil regularly and keep the coolant in a good state, stick to OE equivalent paper air filters to prevent dirt particles damaging the turbo (all induction kits compromise on filtration).

And hopefully you will make it to the 100,000 mile mark that BorgWarner back their turbos with 🙂