Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 Eco Boost 150/182 engine differences.

PLB

I have the 150hp but as you know there is an 182hp version.

I was wondering how the extra power is obtained as I understand they are basically the same engine.

Or are the engines totally different in design.

Interestingly they both appear to produce the same 240 Nm torque.

The 182 is a 1.6 ecoboost. Which were more common in the mk3 140 year road tax had a test drive in one last week black zetec s 

The 1.5 did come in both 150 and 182, Mrs has the 182 version in her 17plate Kuga.

As for the differences, sorry don't have a clue. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's exactly the same engine but with a different map on it. I seem to recall the 2ltr diesel in the Galaxy also came in 3 different power outputs but was an identical engine mechanically just a different map.

27 minutes ago, Skybanger said:

The 182 is a 1.6 ecoboost. Which were more common in the mk3 140 year road tax had a test drive in one last week black zetec s 

My previous Mk 3.5 Focus was a 1.5 4 cylinder Titanium X Eco Boost 182hp.

The new Mk 4 Focus 1.5 engines are 3 cylinders producing 150 or 182 hp.

13 minutes ago, Mark M said:

The 1.5 did come in both 150 and 182, Mrs has the 182 version in her 17plate Kuga.

As for the differences, sorry don't have a clue. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's exactly the same engine but with a different map on it. I seem to recall the 2ltr diesel in the Galaxy also came in 3 different power outputs but was an identical engine mechanically just a different map.

Thanks, that's interesting.

If the engine is mechanically identical I wonder if some enthusiast will be tempted to alter the mapping.:biggrin::naughty:

I don't know the details of that engine, I do know that on the 1.6tdci a few years ago there was (roughly) 90bhp and 115bhp versions. The lower one had fixed vane turbo , the higher one had variable vane turbo I believe (I don't know what other differences there may have been)  so on the 1.5 ecoboost perhaps there is a difference in the hardware (turbo) and not just the software (map)

17 hours ago, PLB said:

Thanks, that's interesting.

If the engine is mechanically identical I wonder if some enthusiast will be tempted to alter the mapping.:biggrin::naughty:

2041082487_Screenshot_20190424-142726_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dbb815f146707bde88c0d7b94041f14a.jpg

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk

Just do it yourself via a Bluefin handset and get a nice 194bhp.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WES180 said:

2041082487_Screenshot_20190424-142726_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dbb815f146707bde88c0d7b94041f14a.jpg

Thanks for the information.

Probably something to consider when out of warrantee.

Looks doable but wouldn’t want to risk on a vehicle only a few months old. 

Both produce the same torque from idle to about 4500 rpm. Then the 150 map starts to reduce torque output to maintain 150PS max, where the 182 PS keeps going until about 5500rpm where it runs out of puff.

In other words, if you typically change gear before 4500rpm, they are EXACTLY the same performance.

Otherwise the 182 PS, just gives you an extra 1000rpm of peak torque.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WES180 said:

That looks like it's for the 4-cyl 1.5 in the Mk 3.5?

9 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Both produce the same torque from idle to about 4500 rpm. Then the 150 map starts to reduce torque output to maintain 150PS max, where the 182 PS keeps going until about 5500rpm where it runs out of puff.

In other words, if you typically change gear before 4500rpm, they are EXACTLY the same performance.

Otherwise the 182 PS, just gives you an extra 1000rpm of peak torque.

Interesting, thanks for the detailed information.

I remember when specifying my new car that there wasn’t an option for a 182 PS auto.

The 150 PS is available with the 6 speed manual box and the 8 speed auto box.

For some reason the 182 PS is only available with the 6 speed manual box.

I wonder why?

Is it because of how the 8 speed auto box manages it gear shifts with specific engine RPM.

But then again if you had the 182 PS mapped engine coupled with the auto box you have the option of manually gear shifting with the paddles at your chosen engine rpm say above 4500 rpm.

Basically just wondering why ford don’t offer the 8 speed auto with the 182 PS engine.

This is totally guessing:

a) they felt that the main market for Automatics was more old people who drive more sedately and wouldn't be demanding the extra power (I am not trying to insult anyone here)

b) perhaps they felt the auto box was not strong enough and would more likely fail

You can get both st line x and vignale in 182 auto.

I've ordered an st line x 182 auto.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-and-locate/build-and-price-gf3#/catalogID/WAEGB-CGE-2018-FocusGBR201925/?code=PN4DQ:DGADE_DR--C_EN-Y1_TR-E7:BS-HC:AGNAB

New box:

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/focus/features/performance-efficiency

I like auto.  If I desperately need control there are paddles.

Looking forward to it.  I'm coming from a 2008 Merc C class diesel which is a nice car but becoming a money pit.   

I'm hoping the new ST will get an auto option too.

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

From what I've seen so far, the petrol ST will get a 7 speed auto.

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

From what I've seen so far, the petrol ST will get a 7 speed auto.

Yep, and no Diesel auto this time :-(

Looks like my next Focus will be the Vignale 2.0 Ecoblue Auto

4 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

You can get both st line x and vignale in 182 auto.

I've ordered an st line x 182 auto.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-and-locate/build-and-price-gf3#/catalogID/WAEGB-CGE-2018-FocusGBR201925/?code=PN4DQ:DGADE_DR--C_EN-Y1_TR-E7:BS-HC:AGNAB

New box:

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/focus/features/performance-efficiency

I like auto.  If I desperately need control there are paddles.

Looking forward to it.  I'm coming from a 2008 Merc C class diesel which is a nice car but becoming a money pit.   

Ok. thanks for the information and links.

My previous car was the Mk3.5 Titanium X 1.5 182 EcoBoost 6 speed manual but unfortunately they don’t offer the 182 Auto for the new Titanium X otherwise I would have gone for it.

I now have the new Titanium X 1.5 150 with the new 8 speed Auto Box  17” alloys and am over the moon with it. I haven’t played with the paddles yet but as you say they are there if you need them.

Also, I haven’t really noticed any reduction in pulling power or acceleration to my previous car so that’s a good.

I am sure you will be pleased with your new st line x 182 auto.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Cheers.  It will be his and her fords as the missus has a Fiesta Zetec Nav.

We had a MK1.5 focus from 18 months old to 12 years and it never let us down.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club