Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar (and bike carriers)

MJNewton

I have previously been using some roof-mounted bike carriers (Atera AF) but following the purchase of a roof box need to now consider alternative arrangements.

I have never been all that keen on boot-mounted bike carriers, in particularly I don't fully trust the way they attach to the bootlid and bumper. I am therefore look at fitting a towbar and using a towbar-mounted carrier (whether that be a grip-the-towball type or the bolt-on variety).

Has anyone out there fitted a towbar to their Mk 7.5 Fiesta and, if so, which one did you go for and can you comment on how you've found it (installation, use etc)? Likewise for towbar-mounted bike carriers?

Hi Mathew, Yes I have had a tow bar fitted to my Mk7.5 Fiesta Titanium X I bought mine from Towsure which are based in Sheffield, I went on there web site ordered the bar for my car also the special wiring harness ant there fitter came out to my home and fitted it on the drive to be honest it wasn't cheap cost about £400 but you have to pay for the fitter coming out to you, the best bet is to google tow bars and see what they come up with. I have to say he made a very good job of mine the reason why I had mine fitted is when I go to my caravan I tow a small trailer with three adults and two dogs not much room for anything else.

Regards Rod.

Really appreciate your comments Rod - thank you.

I had been looking at Towsure as they seem to have the most choice, and I've bought quite a few things from in the past and they've always been good. Do you know which one you've got from this page? I was looking at their own-branded one, partly because it was the cheapest(!) but also that I was thinking there doesn't appear to be all that much visible left behind if you unbolt the connecting section and ball which, given how infrequently I'd be using it, I'd be inclined to do as my wife was never that keen on having a towbar on her previous car (and this one's hers too!).

Hi Mathew, Yes the one I bought was a towsure brand it was the Ford Fiesta 2013-2017 flange tow bar price from £129 the one thing I like about mine is it is a close fit to the bumper and without the tow ball on also if you are not bothered about the wiring then I would think it would be hardly noticeable yes I like there products to I can certainly recommend them had a few for different cars. Any way I hope you get it sorted.

Regards Rod.

I might well not need wiring, depending on how obscuring the bikes are on the rack I choose, but if I do I suppose I could always attached the socket underneath / out of the way rather than on a plate with the towball in the conventional manner.

If you fit a towbar mounted rack and the bikes cover either the number plate or rear lights you should fit a lighting board and number plate to stay legal as the Police take a dim view of bikes covering lights and number plates - I used one on both a Peugeot 406 estate and a Ford Freda and the bikes covered either the lights or the plate so I couldn't win.

I think the numberplate will definitely be covered, but not sure about the lights yet.

I think the numberplate will definitely be covered, but not sure about the lights yet.

Construction and Use regs say any rear number plate must be capable of being illuminated regardless, so you’ll need trailer electrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'd chance that one. I've used all sorts of temporary lashups in the past - marker pen on card etc - and never had an issue so if I use a proper plate I'd be even less concerned. I suspect police priorities lie elsewhere!

I'd chance that one. I've used all sorts of temporary lashups in the past - marker pen on card etc - and never had an issue so if I use a proper plate I'd be even less concerned. I suspect police priorities lie elsewhere!
Not if you come across one of my colleagues in the Traffic department.
It's often stated even within the job that they would nick their own grannies for a result.
They aren'y known as Black Rats for nothing. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club