Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Ecoboost differences.

Chad!

Hey guys,

Just been reading the thread about the differences on the 1.5, 150 and 182PS engines and what's different etc. It got me thinking. What is the difference on the 1.6 150 to 182?  Is it just the mapping?  Different inlet, exhaust or turbo etc?  

I'm considering having mine mapped. Just feels like it needs that little bit more. 150 isn't enough, so would like some more out of it. Not sure how good the clutch/gearbox would handle another 30-50bhp?  I'm guessing there's quite a few on here that have upped their power...?

Chad.

There are no technical differences. The 150 hp version of the 1.6 ECOboost is identical to the 182 hp version. The only difference is the PCM software. 

The 150 hp version can easily be converted to 182 hp by reprogramming the PCM with the original 182 hp software. Combined with high octane fuel and a performance air filter this will result in approximately 200 hp. 

The only difficulty is to determine which software is the 182 hp equivalent of the 150 hp software that is currently loaded on the PCM. Because of many (minor and also major) changes Ford did through the life cycle of the 1.6 ECOboost there are literally dozens of different software versions. Most of them are not interchangeable. Loading incorrect software can result in engine damage so converting the 1.6 ECOboost to 182 hp should only be done by someone who has both the tools and knowledge to do this. 

• Like 1

Depends how you drive, but to me there is not a world of difference in day to day use between a factory 150 or 182 as the torque is the same and the extra bhp would only be noticed over 4,000rpm or so. 

The Mountune or Superchips bluefin upgrades however claim a useful increase in torque from around 2,000rpm ( Mountune claim up to 320nm).

The Mountune site makes the same point as @JW1982 above, that there are several different calibrations for the standard software and you need to be sure which one you have when ordering, I beleve the Superchips Bluefin detects which version you have before downloading the correct upgrade for your car.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies guys. Interesting stuff. I didn't think there would be any issue at all just getting a remap. I just had a look on the mybluefin website and it says that it gives an extra 30bhp and an extra 51nM if torque. So 177bhp and 291nM.  Is it worth it?  If so, should I buy a bluefin and try to do it myself?

Chad.

57 minutes ago, Chad! said:

Is it worth it? 

I had the 182 in  a C-Max and was toying with the Superchips, as I reckon the extra torque would have been useful in that car. In the event circumstances changed so I never got round to it.

Most folks on here who have used Bluefin seem to have been pretty happy with it.

25 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I had the 182 in  a C-Max and was toying with the Superchips, as I reckon the extra torque would have been useful in that car. In the event circumstances changed so I never got round to it.

Most folks on here who have used Bluefin seem to have been pretty happy with it.

Mine is only the 150 though....😩 So would only be as good as the 182 afterwards at best.

5 hours ago, Chad! said:

Mine is only the 150 though....😩 So would only be as good as the 182 afterwards at best.

On horsepower you'd still be about 10-12 up on a 182, but you'd also get that useful torque increase.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chad! said:

First reprogram and configure the car to 182 HP using the original 182 HP software. When done properly the only difference between an origal 182 HP version and a 150 - - > 182 HP version is the hardware ID number of the PCM. Even after a software update by Ford the car will still remain 182 HP. 

If you still feel the desire for more power you can purchase the Bluefin for the 182 HP version. 

I upgraded dozens of 150 HP versions of the 1.6 ECOboost to 182 HP using the original 182 HP software without any problems. The only problem I ever experienced is that very early (2011) 150 HP versions did not have the additional electric coolant pump while all 182 HP versions do have this pump as standard. Upgrading a 150 HP version without the additional electric coolant pump to 182 HP will cause a DTC code. You can either live with this or solve the cause of the problem and install the additional electric coolant pump. Later (2012 - - >)  150 HP versions do also have the additional electric coolant pump as standard just like the 182 HP version. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chad! said:

Not really, it'll be better than the standard 182 version because of the extra torque.

Just noticed that the Superchips website is not very clear. In one place it mentions stock bhp of 147 and a 30 bhp increase so you could assume 177 total. On the Dyno power/torque curve however it indicates that the stock motor actually made 159 bhp and 193 after remapping, but with a 30bhp increase over stock at 5341 rpm.

This is all very interesting stuff. Thank you. As far as getting the stock 182 program put into mine....that sounds like it could be a pain. Mine is a late 2011 model, so possibly would need the pump fitting too. 

IF after a remap I had close to 200hp, that would be plenty. I wouldn't want any more than that in this car to be honest unless I was also going to mess with suspension etc. More torque would be nice for that initial overtaking manoeuvre, and then that bhp at higher end would be nice. Being the 150bhp, it's just a little under-powered. 

So...question is. IF I go down the remap route as is, do I buy a bluefin and try it myself?  Sounds easy enough according to the site to buy it from. Do you just buy the bluefin and that's it, you're ready to plug it in and go??

Does anyone know how and how much it is to have a bluefin handset reset and then set up for my car?

There is an faq on the bluefin website and they state that as long as it is an up to date handset the cost to reset is around a third cheaper than buying new.

If it is an older handset they won't reset it and they don't buy them back either. 

From what I read, although I haven't done one myself, to install it you connect the handset and download the current mapping. Then send that through to bluefin and they send you the modified mapping.

Oooh ok. I'll have to flirt them an email. 

Thanks.

Chad.