Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st gear stumble from pullaway on 1.5 petrol 2019

JamesB

Hi all - does anyone also have a stumble issue from stationary at low rpm?  Mine revs once accelorator is pressed then drops, making the car almost stall, then recovers. Only on warm idle and works perfectly on cold starts until warm....

thanks

We have the same issue with our 2017 Ford Focus 1.5 150bhp our dealer could not find the fault we was told it was our style of driving we even asked about the software recall update in August 2018 when it went in for its first service we was told our car was to effected we even asked again in March 2019 and again we was told once again our car was not effected. Then in April 2019 Ford sent us a letter regarding a safety recall software update so we booked our car for the software update and we said to the dealer you told us our car was not effected there reply was it is now with a bit of luck this will cure the stumble issue when pulling away. 

Brilliant...thanks Jake / Chris - I talked on the phone to my dealer today and they claim my VIN shows that my car has the latest software.  I am taking it in for them to drive appraise tomorrow... I will tell them about what youve said.  Really appreciate that.  James 

Hi James

My dealer as been saying that my software was all up to date as my car had the latest software over  a year ago. But now they saying it needs a software update 18s39 clutch slip detection software - recall which the letter from Ford is a bit frightening what could happen to your car. 

2019-04-26 06.18.42.jpg

Oh right.... things keep being updated it would seem.  Thanks

On 4/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, JAKE191 said:

We have the same issue with our 2017 Ford Focus 1.5 150bhp our dealer could not find the fault we was told it was our style of driving we even asked about the software recall update in August 2018 when it went in for its first service we was told our car was to effected we even asked again in March 2019 and again we was told once again our car was not effected. Then in April 2019 Ford sent us a letter regarding a safety recall software update so we booked our car for the software update and we said to the dealer you told us our car was not effected there reply was it is now with a bit of luck this will cure the stumble issue when pulling away. 

How did you get on ?  Has the car been seen by the dealer yet?

Hi James

Yes the car went in on Saturday morning for the software update which took less than a hour and the car seems  not to stumble at the moment whilst pulling away even when  the wife as drove the car and its not stumbled pulling away. So fingers crossed the software update as sorted issue when pulling away. Also I asked my dealer to have a look at the high level brake light as it gets a lot of condensation in it new light on order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 8:45 PM, JAKE191 said:

Hi James

Yes the car went in on Saturday morning for the software update which took less than a hour and the car seems  not to stumble at the moment whilst pulling away even when  the wife as drove the car and its not stumbled pulling away. So fingers crossed the software update as sorted issue when pulling away. Also I asked my dealer to have a look at the high level brake light as it gets a lot of condensation in it new light on order.

Nice....thanks for this

Well mine has been in twice now....no error codes found and the dealer technician said he did notice it - "but they are all like that"

Ford customer assistance centre were worse than useless just passing back to the dealer.

No where left to go except an alternative dealer.  Insiders at Ford tell me it has the latest calibration - so what to do now???

Hi I was told mine had the latest software over a year ago and the software update was not needed. Then a was sent saying a safety recall software update was needed.

Thanks Chris, trouble is mine is a March 19 build - so it should be up to date with the latest calibration. I am wondering if mine is "same as all the others" which I really have to doubt. Needs a good and thorough evaluation I think.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat as all of you. Bought a brand new Kuga 1.5 150PS petrol back in October and been a struggle ever since. It's got nothing to do with our driving style. It's purely the engine. It's absolutely useless engine. Mileage is crap as well and fords have now confirmed not to expect more then 28-29 mpg from Kuga with this engine. I've had plenty of cars before this Kuga and have never struggled so much with any of those. I'm so fed up that I've just ordered a New Focus with 1.5ltr engine which is the same engine in fiesta ST. I'll be loosing out around £900 but at least I'll be happy to get rid of this gas guzzler. 

After hearing my issues my dealer has started suggesting others not to buy Kuga with 1.5 petrol engine.

Are you All Wheel Drive by chance Amit?   As my 2wd is good for 36MPG....  maybe its that?

Sorry for the delay JamesB,

Mine is 2WD as well. Some motorway journeys are also involved. 

Sorry to hear this Ams, ive had issues with the 1st gear pullaway since i collected it. However the fuel economy is good at 36.4 average - thats on a combined run on motorways and in town.  If i only do town driving it does drop to about 32.  I hope the Focus is good for you and remember the remap with someone like Superchips makes a world of difference.  Cheers.

Thank you JamesB,

I've just checked on Ford Etis and my focus was just built yesterday. Very excited now. Strangely enough my Kuga just reached 31 mpg yesterday all of a sudden while I was driving on M25. Only around 11 miles journey but couldn't believe my eyes. Filled up a tank with over 400 miles to go. First time ever. Oh well, it's too late now.

Ams, look forward to your new Focus. Its All New and will have been engineered really well. Have a great time with the car and the new features. You will have a cracker of a car there and dont forget ....have a think about Superchips or other re-mappers for the added performance feel !!  JB

• 1 month later...

Update my car had the clutch software update and the stumble on pulling away seemed to of cured it. But the last few weeks the stumble when pulling away.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club