Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting A Tow Bar This Weekend

sjgillett

one last thing, dont forget to buy some beer for after :lol: B)

lol have just stuck a couple in the fridge.

Physical towbar fitted to the car and cable run into the boot.

Now for the electrics...........................

Job done.

Thanks stef123 for all your advice all went to plan - next is to give her a good wash and then off to the fridge B)

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

Job done.

Thanks stef123 for all your advice all went to plan - next is to give her a good wash and then off to the fridge cool.gif

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

refreshing when a job goes easily to plan

excellent news, good job mate :)

was it easier than you thought?

refreshing when a job goes easily to plan

Yes it is and it doesn't happen that often for me lol!

excellent news, good job mate :)

was it easier than you thought?

The electrical side was much easier that I expected.

The only area I had trouble with was the heat shield. Couldn't see how you removed the fixings so ended up pulling it off them in the end and just bending it back to its original position. Accessing the bolts on that side were a pain as well but other than that all good.

I hooked our folding camper up to it to test the lights and they all worked first time which was a result. The buzzer is very loud as well.

Now to attack my next challenge with my key fob............................

The only area I had trouble with was the heat shield. Couldn't see how you removed the fixings so ended up pulling it off them in the end and just bending it back to its original position. Accessing the bolts on that side were a pain as well but other than that all good.

I hooked our folding camper up to it to test the lights and they all worked first time which was a result. The buzzer is very loud as well.

whats up with the key fob? ford replace the little black plastic internal piece for a tenner if the buttions are dodgy or you can buy new empty shells from eBay and just swap everything over

i had the same problem with the heatshield so i pulled it off and when it come to putting it back i just held it in place with some pop rivets.

whats up with the key fob? ford replace the little black plastic internal piece for a tenner if the buttions are dodgy or you can buy new empty shells from ebay and just swap everything over

its an odd one, it will work fine for days on end then suddenly just stop working. if I open it open and put it back together it is fine again for a few days. its all or nothing.

i had the same problem with the heatshield so i pulled it off and when it come to putting it back i just held it in place with some pop rivets.

Not just me then. other than that a very easy job.

Not just me then. other than that a very easy job.

open the fob take a small piece of paper or card about half an inch by half an inch and fold it so it fits on top of the battery then close it back up with that bit of paper in it and see what happens. had the same with the heat shield as well i done the same as you and folded the holding clips back over again you can get replacement ones but i couldnt be bothered for the sake of two of them.

open the fob take a small piece of paper or card about half an inch by half an inch and fold it so it fits on top of the battery then close it back up with that bit of paper in it and see what happens. had the same with the heat shield as well i done the same as you and folded the holding clips back over again you can get replacement ones but i couldnt be bothered for the sake of two of them.

Thanks for the tip - I have inseted a folded piece of paper into the fob so will let you know how it goes.

I couldn't see how these heat shield clips could be removed and as you say it is only two of them. It is not going anywhere.

Thanks for the tip - I have inseted a folded piece of paper into the fob so will let you know how it goes.

I couldn't see how these heat shield clips could be removed and as you say it is only two of them. It is not going anywhere.

the clips if you use plyers and grip them simply twist and pull off they are the same a sthe clips used to hold the rear whel arch liner in place. yep give it a try mine was the same 6 months ive used my little piece of paper with no problems i will eventually get it sorted but right now its not that important as long as it works.

the clips if you use plyers and grip them simply twist and pull off they are the same a sthe clips used to hold the rear whel arch liner in place. yep give it a try mine was the same 6 months ive used my little piece of paper with no problems i will eventually get it sorted but right now its not that important as long as it works.

off the top of my head i cant remember what the clips look like but when i done the brake conversion and had to change the handbrake cable, i had to remove the centre heatshield. i was able to use a 23 and 24mm hex socket on these without any probs, even went back on a treat.

off the top of my head i cant remember what the clips look like but when i done the brake conversion and had to change the handbrake cable, i had to remove the centre heatshield. i was able to use a 23 and 24mm hex socket on these without any probs, even went back on a treat.

you can unscrew them but i just pulled them off they bend back to there original shape and i was too in a hurry so i whipped m off

The paper fix seems to be working very well thus far cheers mate.

• 5 years later...

I've got a Focus MK1.5 TDCI Ghia Estate. I'm looking at fitting a tow bar next week but I'm not sure if to fit 7pin or 13pin & if I need a bypass relay?

You could get away without a relay. But the relays do have a teĺl-tale buzzer for the indicators. They also make removing the electrics easier should you decide to sell the towbar separately at a later date.

7 vs 13 pin: I'm sure that I heard 7-pin is being phased out - but if your towing a simple trailer with a 7-pin socket, then that's all you need :-)

I don't want NO friggin buzzer lol

Yes I have heard that 7pin were phased out in 2012.

Wouldn't twin electrics be 7 & 13 pin and ain't 13pin Gota be MOT

I don't honestly know bud. I have a single 7-pin for towing a box trailer or small hobby trailer (as well as the occasional boat) - all with my own lightboard

I want to see some pics of the bar from the underside as I've looked under mine and I can't see where it goes as the spare wheel well is in the way

On the mk1, either side of the wheel well there is a rail, the brackets fit into these. One of them is partially hidden above the exhaust.