Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 1.6 EcoBoost Vibrations

bronc

Can other members with a 1.6 EcoBoost Focus let me know if they feel engine vibrations in the cabin of the car and in particular the steering wheel and gear shift? I think my engine mounts might need replacing although at least the top one doesn't seem to be leaking..

I'm guessing this is under acceleration?  I have a 1.6 EcoBoost and haven't noticed this at all. 

Chad

I'm guessing this is under acceleration?  I have a 1.6 EcoBoost and haven't noticed this at all. 
Chad
No, while idling.

A vibration like when you're in a diesel car?  I get a tiny tiny bit, but nothing that concerns me at all. When you accelerate, do you notice if the gear stick moves much forwards and backwards?  You could also see if you can rock your engine at all. I'd remove the big plastic cover and push-pull on it and see if it seems like something's loose.

A vibration like when you're in a diesel car?  I get a tiny tiny bit, but nothing that concerns me at all. When you accelerate, do you notice if the gear stick moves much forwards and backwards?  You could also see if you can rock your engine at all. I'd remove the big plastic cover and push-pull on it and see if it seems like something's loose.

Yes, like in a diesel - I feel them through the steering wheel, gear stick, and seat. When I turn the A/C on the vibrations become even stronger. Not sure what you mean by the gear stick moving.

Regarding the gear stick moving. If you've got a faulty engine mount, I'd expect the gear stick to move a fair bit backwards when you accelerate and forwards under engine braking.  

Damn always wanted a 1.6 ecoboost can't see the mounts being bad yet but could well be the torque mount and have heard aftermarket ones make the vibration harder.

The mk3 engine mounts are crap, it's not restricted to the 1.6EB, they're all a bit rough at idle.  I still can't quite understand how they managed to make engine mounts so soft that you get a gearchange jerk and wheel hop, but so hard that they can't absorb vibrations...  Pretty impressive really! :unsure: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that gearchange jerk is so annoying. I've had the car for almost a year now and it still makes me feel like I don't know how to drive a manual unless I baby the clutch pedal..

• Like 2

Regarding the gear stick moving. If you've got a faulty engine mount, I'd expect the gear stick to move a fair bit backwards when you accelerate and forwards under engine braking.  

Nope, definitely doesn't do this. Do you feel a vibration through the steering wheel and pedals when the car is idling? In my car it becomes most noticeable if I rev the engine to 1000-1200rpm.

17 hours ago, bronc said:

Nope, definitely doesn't do this. Do you feel a vibration through the steering wheel and pedals when the car is idling? In my car it becomes most noticeable if I rev the engine to 1000-1200rpm.

Not really if I'm honest. I only get the slightest amount of vibration from the engine in mine. And by slight, I mean, you wouldn't notice it unless you were trying to feel it. Definitely nothing I would even consider investigating. 

Chad.

• 2 months later...

I got my top engine mount replaced yesterday. The difference is day and night. The start/stop has become imperceptible now. The vibrations are almost non-existent and the car feels much smoother.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, bronc said:

I got my top engine mount replaced yesterday. The difference is day and night. The start/stop has become imperceptible now. The vibrations are almost non-existent and the car feels much smoother.

Hi

Was your top motor mount leaking ? Was it visually noticeable that mount is bad?

Mine looks fine.. No leaks or damage but all symptoms are the same. Vibrations like diesel car when car is stopped in Drive or Reverse.

Neutral makes it smoother but not completely ..

7 hours ago, shimsag said:

Hi

Was your top motor mount leaking ? Was it visually noticeable that mount is bad?

Mine looks fine.. No leaks or damage but all symptoms are the same. Vibrations like diesel car when car is stopped in Drive or Reverse.

Neutral makes it smoother but not completely ..

The 1st post from the Op stated the top mount wasn't leaking.  Although as I found with my 1.8 TDCi, the fluid filled mount doesn't have to be leaking to not be doing it's job properly.

No, it wasn't leaking.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk