Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you recommend an Edge to me?

theguy5

I currently have a Chrysler 300c, its 08 now and time for a new car. The Chrysler is stupidly big, huge road presence and bold design and ive been struggling to find something else which matches up to it in design (and budget!). Then I came across the Edge, I love the size of it, the American truck style front and the fact that there arent many around on the road, its big, bold and affordable (would be getting a used 2016/17 model).

Just wondered if Id be making the right choice as comments on here and reviews seem to be very mixed, do any of you regret buying one and for the more regular users of this forum whats the 'general feel' of owners? The one thing holding me back is annoyingly what lets my 300c down, the interior. Pretty cheap/plasticy and pretty ugly compared to other cars Ive been looking at, its also annoying that most of the ones I can afford have halogen lights wtff!

But still theres something drawing me to it, its at the top end of my budget and I can get 'better' cars for cheaper but they just dont have that feel! The alternative is most likely a C class for the economy and £30 a year tax.

No to many issues I have had to have my whole sunroof replaced, replacement steering wheel,air con compressor. Still arguing of heated front screen not working when needed and the biggest problem Beijing an automatic stalling under certain conditions Buy a Lexus or Audi jag or Volvo all better.

Hi

I have had my Edge Titanium 6 speed manual since 2016. As I purchased during/Just after the UK launch, I have had a few warranty problems (mentioned in other posts of mine on this forum).
One post that I made called "My Car After 25 Months Of Ownership" (I think it was called this) gives my overall opinion of the Edge.
If you do find and read this post, I will just say that a few more months on, I still stick with what I said back then.
Whatever your final choice, I hope you make the right choice to your own satisfaction.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Not had as many issues as others on here, mostly niggles. It's a great car for long distances (really comfy). Plenty of room for everyone (including the dog!). Had mine since Dec 2016 and its had an Airbag recall, Adaptive steering recall and A/C pully recall. Build quality is not the best. Panel fit and alignment is not the best. Sync is a nightmare to update as Ford just F**k it up every time!

Saying that, I've had it nearly 2 and a half years and on the whole I've loved it. But if you read this forum, you'll find its a bit Marmite!

The only option of a Diesel is a bit of a killer, although Ford are releasing a multitude of electric/hybrids over the next 18 months.

Would I buy another when its gone ... I would like to if it was EU built (better build quality and attention to detail) ... but No!

I'm looking at the Volvo XC40/60, Hyundia Tuscon/Santa Fe, some other Kuga sized SUV's, or even back to the good 'old Kuga itself (had a MK1 which was by far the best car I've owned to date although they got rid of the split tailgate which was one of my top 10 features!).

Also the 'new' price is way too much now (still a lot cheaper for the features than a BMW, Audi or Range Rover). If you get a 1 year old 2nd hand 2016/2017 with Sync3 model (build date Sept 2016 onwards!), you'll be getting a good deal, but may still have a few niggles to contend with during ownership.

17 hours ago, Martingg said:

No to many issues I have had to have my whole sunroof replaced, replacement steering wheel,air con compressor. Still arguing of heated front screen not working when needed and the biggest problem Beijing an automatic stalling under certain conditions Buy a Lexus or Audi jag or Volvo all better.

the automatic stalls??

15 hours ago, DavesEdge said:

Hi

I have had my Edge Titanium 6 speed manual since 2016. As I purchased during/Just after the UK launch, I have had a few warranty problems (mentioned in other posts of mine on this forum).
One post that I made called "My Car After 25 Months Of Ownership" (I think it was called this) gives my overall opinion of the Edge.
If you do find and read this post, I will just say that a few more months on, I still stick with what I said back then.
Whatever your final choice, I hope you make the right choice to your own satisfaction.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Ive read that post last night! Cant remember what your conclusion was though

15 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Not had as many issues as others on here, mostly niggles. It's a great car for long distances (really comfy). Plenty of room for everyone (including the dog!). Had mine since Dec 2016 and its had an Airbag recall, Adaptive steering recall and A/C pully recall. Build quality is not the best. Panel fit and alignment is not the best. Sync is a nightmare to update as Ford just F**k it up every time!

Saying that, I've had it nearly 2 and a half years and on the whole I've loved it. But if you read this forum, you'll find its a bit Marmite!

The only option of a Diesel is a bit of a killer, although Ford are releasing a multitude of electric/hybrids over the next 18 months.

Would I buy another when its gone ... I would like to if it was EU built (better build quality and attention to detail) ... but No!

I'm looking at the Volvo XC40/60, Hyundia Tuscon/Santa Fe, some other Kuga sized SUV's, or even back to the good 'old Kuga itself (had a MK1 which was by far the best car I've owned to date although they got rid of the split tailgate which was one of my top 10 features!).

Also the 'new' price is way too much now (still a lot cheaper for the features than a BMW, Audi or Range Rover). If you get a 1 year old 2nd hand 2016/2017 with Sync3 model (build date Sept 2016 onwards!), you'll be getting a good deal, but may still have a few niggles to contend with during ownership.

see when I asked the same question on the 300c forum back then, people described the issues as 'quirks' and none would swap it for anything else. They only sold because the cars got to old and the facelift model was pretty garbage.

8 hours ago, theguy5 said:

see when I asked the same question on the 300c forum back then, people described the issues as 'quirks' and none would swap it for anything else. They only sold because the cars got to old and the facelift model was pretty garbage.

Hi theguy5

Obviously I can't speak for others, but personally the issues that I have had with my Edge I would not describe as "quirks", I would (and do) class them as faults.

I have just re-read my post to remind myself, and going through it, I give my impression throughout it, not at the end. Though I still stand by my impressions.

As I purchased my car at an older age (me, not the car), I do intend to keep it, not change it later. Overall I am still happy with my purchase.

When I purchased, as I was looking at long term ownership, I looked at the whole range of 4x4's or to use an americanism, Suv's that were made by all the manufacturers.

I carried out this investigation over the course of about 6 months, including quite a lot of test drives.

It was only when I went to my local ford dealer to go on a pre-arranged Mazda test drive, that I was introduced to the Edge, this after going out in both a Mazda Cx5 and Kuga.

On this day after going out in these three cars, one after the other, on the same route, that I made my choice. So I am now, still, a proud Edge owner, despite my car's problems

I too wondered about an auto that stalls (as you commented on). Maybe the idle speed is incorrectly adjusted on that Edge, who knows?

Anyway whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy it.

Happy motoring

Dave

My delaers still tell me that the Edge sells well, though I still do not see that many around.

15 hours ago, DavesEdge said:

Hi theguy5

Obviously I can't speak for others, but personally the issues that I have had with my Edge I would not describe as "quirks", I would (and do) class them as faults.

I have just re-read my post to remind myself, and going through it, I give my impression throughout it, not at the end. Though I still stand by my impressions.

As I purchased my car at an older age (me, not the car), I do intend to keep it, not change it later. Overall I am still happy with my purchase.

When I purchased, as I was looking at long term ownership, I looked at the whole range of 4x4's or to use an americanism, Suv's that were made by all the manufacturers.

I carried out this investigation over the course of about 6 months, including quite a lot of test drives.

It was only when I went to my local ford dealer to go on a pre-arranged Mazda test drive, that I was introduced to the Edge, this after going out in both a Mazda Cx5 and Kuga.

On this day after going out in these three cars, one after the other, on the same route, that I made my choice. So I am now, still, a proud Edge owner, despite my car's problems

I too wondered about an auto that stalls (as you commented on). Maybe the idle speed is incorrectly adjusted on that Edge, who knows?

Anyway whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy it.

Happy motoring

Dave

My delaers still tell me that the Edge sells well, though I still do not see that many around.

Well on autotrader there is only 1 Edge for sale within 30 miles of me, Ive found a gorgeous one but its 230 mile away and Im not really ready to buy yet so its annoying. Its also pretty annoying I cant even look at one without a 45min drive, the only one for sale near me is up on some stupid display ramp about 6ft off the ground. This is the one Ive seen I like and its the all black color combo Id go for. Just not sure I can get past that interior, its just so 'normal' and boring looking compared to the outside, exactly the same as my 300c!

spacer.png

well i'm relatively pleased with my Edge. 67plate titanium auto with 20"wheels in grey. It looks good and I enjoy driving it. I've had a recall on the aircon pulley recently done and a couple of other issues which I got sorted at the same time. It hasn't let me down so am pleased with it. I don't know whether I will keep it after 3 years mainly because of the tax penalty which I have to pay until year6. I'll see nearer the time what deals are out there. maybe the inside is a bit plasticky. I don't think its that bad and you can have a load of extras for much less than say a german car of similar size. If you get one with the Lux pack u might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Do consider one with the optional Adaptive LED Headlights. They are amazing!

Haven't seen the halogen lights myself but quite a few people say they are quite poor.

I have had warnings come up on my dash like others for the headlights however, took it in for some more warranty work and they said that the lights needed a software update. The warning hasn't come up since however it didn't come up very often and that was about 3 weeks ago.

15 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

Do consider one with the optional Adaptive LED Headlights. They are amazing!

Haven't seen the halogen lights myself but quite a few people say they are quite poor.

I have had warnings come up on my dash like others for the headlights however, took it in for some more warranty work and they said that the lights needed a software update. The warning hasn't come up since however it didn't come up very often and that was about 3 weeks ago.

Yes Id definately only (or try to) get one with the LEDs, there arent any in my price range at the minute but hopefully by the time im ready to buy they will have come down a bit. Still a bit unsure about spending close to £20k on a Ford though!

Hi All

I got my Edge before the Led lights were fitted, though I have carried out the Led mod by changing all my bulbs to Led.

I do not have the adaptive headlights, just changed halogen etc for LED Bulbs.

If it comes into your price range/is available, I would recommend the Lux pack option.

Leather seats, full length sunroof, enhanced stereo system, larger screen, etc

Less plastic feel interior, more comfortable (personal opinion) than standard seats.

Happy motoring

Dave

I went to see one up close for the first time on monday. Have to say was a bit dissapointed at how small they are up close, are they smaller than a Kuga?

10 hours ago, theguy5 said:

are they smaller than a Kuga?

No, they are quite a bit longer, about 5" wider and about 4" taller. The width shows on the inside. I've sat in a Kuga since owning my EDGE and the Kuga felt very small on the inside! You also won't notice as the driver, but the EDGE is much bigger in the back.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:15 PM, theguy5 said:

I went to see one up close for the first time on monday. Have to say was a bit dissapointed at how small they are up close, are they smaller than a Kuga?

Maybe you were looking at an Ecosport.  Not an Edge ?

13 hours ago, eddiek said:

Maybe you were looking at an Ecosport.  Not an Edge ?

Haha no was defo an Edge, it was parked on uneven ground which I guess could have played a part.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club