Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is this loose cable?

Andyr55

Can any of you experts tell me what the loose cable is on my new mk IV focus?

near the battery, doesn’t appear to go anywhere?

1CCB74F5-7E8B-4E22-AA85-F533D6E5C1A5.jpeg

704FC2C1-ED36-4A0A-BB1A-60071117F9FE.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Can any of you experts tell me what the loose cable is on my new mk IV focus?

near the battery, doesn’t appear to go anywhere?

1CCB74F5-7E8B-4E22-AA85-F533D6E5C1A5.jpeg

704FC2C1-ED36-4A0A-BB1A-60071117F9FE.jpeg

Looks like a sensor to me and it should be plugged in somewhere; somebody will chip in soon who knows a bit more on mk4's then I do!

• Like 1

"somebody will chip in soon who knows a bit more on mk4's then I do!"

That wouldn't be me then, but I don't see why the owner of a 2019 Focus (which presumably had a PDI who has now discovered a cable not connected somewhere but nothing otherwise wrong with the car) wouldn't just drive round to his friendly Ford dealer and ask that they have a look under the bonnet.

No disrespect intended.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Oldster said:

"somebody will chip in soon who knows a bit more on mk4's then I do!"

That wouldn't be me then, but I don't see why the owner of a 2019 Focus (which presumably had a PDI who has now discovered a cable not connected somewhere but nothing otherwise wrong with the car) wouldn't just drive round to his friendly Ford dealer and ask that they have a look under the bonnet.

No disrespect intended.

Maybe because the OP is a busy man like most of us and it's much easier to plug a sensor back in on your drive then take it back to your dealer which for all we know could be miles away.  No disrespect intended to you either but I really don't find comments like that do anything on forums to encourage people to ask.  I've asked so many questions on here that could easily have been answered in other ways but people have always been helpful and taken the time to reply.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert27 said:

Maybe because the OP is a busy man like most of us and it's much easier to plug a sensor back in on your drive then take it back to your dealer which for all we know could be miles away.  No disrespect intended to you either but I really don't find comments like that do anything on forums to encourage people to ask.  I've asked so many questions on here that could easily have been answered in other ways but people have always been helpful and taken the time to reply.

Where's the 'clap' emoji? 

• Haha 1

Any ideas? Can someone look under the bonnet of their focus and see if this cable is there?

it would be appreciated save a long drive to my dealer

@iantt  may know 🙂

The connector is blanked off with a blinding cap (contra connector with only rubbers seals to prevent water/dirt Ingress). This suggests that the connector is used for functionalities/options that the car does not have. If it was just a loose connector there would be no blinding cap installed. 

The only thing that seems strange is that the connector with blinding cap is not secured to anything. Ford usually secures unused connectors to the wiring harness using (wiring harness) tape or to other components using plastic connector clips. However the connector with blinding cap not being secured to anything can also be another example of reducing costs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozz said:

Where's the 'clap' emoji? 

:clap::clapping:

• Like 2

Can someone look under the bonnet of their focus and see if this cable is there?

Yes, mine has the same unused connector, the only difference is that mine isn't dangling loose. It's clipped to a tag on the fusebox. It's just to the right of the 2 cables in the photo. Connector is facing upwards. Photos attached

IMG_20190502_122447.jpg

IMG_20190502_122439.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, JW1982 said:

The connector is blanked off with a blinding cap (contra connector with only rubbers seals to prevent water/dirt Ingress). This suggests that the connector is used for functionalities/options that the car does not have. If it was just a loose connector there would be no blinding cap installed. 

The only thing that seems strange is that the connector with blinding cap is not secured to anything. Ford usually secures unused connectors to the wiring harness using (wiring harness) tape or to other components using plastic connector clips. However the connector with blinding cap not being secured to anything can also be another example of reducing costs. 

Ford SHOULD usually do a lot of things.

I've had two new (or nearly new) Ford cars, both with the passenger rear door "rubber sleeve"(?) which carries the cabling from the b-pillar to the door incorrectly fitted.

It happened to a Focus causing electrical issues, I now check them all when I get a car and found my new Fiesta was the same. They are different factories too, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

Yes, mine has the same unused connector, the only difference is that mine isn't dangling loose. It's clipped to a tag on the fusebox. It's just to the right of the 2 cables in the photo. Connector is facing upwards. Photos attached

IMG_20190502_122447.jpg

IMG_20190502_122439.jpg

To reassure the OP.

Yes, I just looked under the bonnet of my car and I can confirm that I have the same unused connector, exactly as shown in Ian's photos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

mine is back on its clip.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PLB said:

To reassure the OP.

Yes, I just looked under the bonnet of my car and I can confirm that I have the same unused connector, exactly as shown in Ian's photos.

Oh crumbs, is it just me or is anyone else now intrigued into what this 'disused' connector is actually for??

• Like 1

Yes it would,

i have most of the ‘extras’ available.

Given OP's car is very nearly brand new and must have been expensive, I wondered whether a visit to the dealership might not be a good idea. I did make the point in my post that the OP wasn't saying that his car was failing to do anything it should be doing so (all other things being equal) it was all still properly screwed together.

I was then ticked off by someone on the grounds that I might have been discouraging people from asking questions, that the OP might be a busy man and that this was a sensor needing to be plugged back in which could be done on the drive. A couple of others then chipped in including someone who supplied a clapping hands emoji applauding the criticism directed at me.

The OP's asked many questions. He may well be a busy man. Another owner of the same car eventually said the sensor is unused, so hasn't been detached from anywhere and therefore doesn't seem to have a place to be plugged back in.

I don't claim much in the way of technical competence, but I do try to help. Of course, pointlessly negative responses to my posts might discourage me.

I don't have access to emojis but do wonder if there's one which illustrates the old advice to always turn on the brain before putting the mouth in gear.

• Like 1

Oh crumbs, is it just me or is anyone else now intrigued into what this 'disused' connector is actually for??

Curious too, maybe a battery sensor or something? My first thought was the air intake sensor or what ever it’s called. God knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Curious too, maybe a battery sensor or something? My first thought was the air intake sensor or what ever it’s called. God knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TBH, I think it belongs to something more exotic, as most cars here seem to run just fine without it connected to anything...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club