Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 - tyres, pressures and control stalk.

HighHo

So a few questions. First of all my car is a focus mk 2.5 estate 1.8 petrol (58 reg)

Any recommendations on tyres, my car as bought has cheapish tyres, and different brands rear and front. There ok condition wise but would like to replace for something better and matching. Does anyone have any recommendations from experience, just everyday use covering all seasons. (I did look for some recent threads on this but couldn't find any).

Tyre pressures, should I use the ones in the manual or the side of the door? My housemate says the ones on the car itself, but the manual says a bit more on the back (to me the ones on the car could be more general).

Finally the stalk for audio controls, I fitted an aftermarket steroid. I would love to use the stalk controls but all the kits I found seem very expensive, maybe they just are and I will do without, but incase I'm missing anything any recommendations?

Thanks for reading,

HighHo

Tyres are personal preference really so it's difficult to get a good answer on a forum.  Michelin pilot sport 4s are about as good as you'll get but they're not cheap.  I like Dunlop sport Bluresponse or Goodyear EfficientGrip performance personally, good compromise between performance (wet grip, dry handling & fuel economy) and price.  They are noticeably worse in very cold temps though, you could look at something like CrossClimates if you're after something grippy in all weathers but not so good for handling.

Use the tyre pressures on the car sticker, the manuals are generic and it may not be the original manual for the car anyway.  As a general rule, you want a bit less pressure in the rears unless you've got the car fully loaded all the time.

• Thanks 1

I fitted a Sony bluetooth stereo in my Focus Mk 2.5 when I had it and I got the control adaptor from Halfords. I think it was about £15 to £20 at the time as I wouldn't have paid much more for it.

There may be some on amazon nowadays though so worth a look on there.

• Thanks 1

TomsFocus: Many thanks for the recommendations, very useful and for confirming where to take the tyre pressures from.

CoIW: Thanks will try asking direct in Halfords when I get chance, think I did check there website but nothing listed for my car. Most I have found online have been £40+ which is a bit more than probably worth it for the benefit.

the handling balance on these cars with a decent set of 4 matching tyres is incredible...

budget tyres are a mistake, a set of michelin or goodyear will

stop 6 metres shorter.... (just ask yourself what condition you'll be in from a 70 mph stop on the M1, if that 6 metres was gone ! worth 100 quid ? )

last longer be far

much quieter

be more fun to drive

etc.

• Like 1

What make was the stereo you fitted? I’ve got an adapter for pioneer stereos that I used on my last car which lets you use the stalk controls.

At least I think I’ve got it, would have to check I actually removed it from the car before it went.

• Thanks 1

Firestone Roadhawk 205/55/16 on mine. £200 all in for 4. Rated C for fuel economy, A for the wet and 70 (I imagine decibels) for noise.

I had Avons on the front, and they were rubbish in the wet, TCS kept kicking in on takeoff. No such issues now.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, HighHo said:

So a few questions. First of all my car is a focus mk 2.5 estate 1.8 petrol (58 reg)

Any recommendations on tyres, my car as bought has cheapish tyres, and different brands rear and front. There ok condition wise but would like to replace for something better and matching. Does anyone have any recommendations from experience, just everyday use covering all seasons. (I did look for some recent threads on this but couldn't find any).

Tyre pressures, should I use the ones in the manual or the side of the door? My housemate says the ones on the car itself, but the manual says a bit more on the back (to me the ones on the car could be more general).

Finally the stalk for audio controls, I fitted an aftermarket steroid. I would love to use the stalk controls but all the kits I found seem very expensive, maybe they just are and I will do without, but incase I'm missing anything any recommendations?

Thanks for reading,

HighHo

Autoexpress do an annual group test of various all weather tyres, covering wet, snow and dry conditions under real test conditions.  In the most recent test Continental's 1st ever "all weather" tyre took the honours here, as a result I had them fitted to the rear of my MK2 Focus and I have to say I'm impressed under all weather conditions.  I'll also be getting them fitted to the front when they become due.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Autoexpress do an annual group test of various all weather tyres, covering wet, snow and dry conditions under real test conditions.  In the most recent test Continental's 1st ever "all weather" tyre took the honours here, as a result I had them fitted to the rear of my MK2 Focus and I have to say I'm impressed under all weather conditions.  I'll also be getting them fitted to the front when they become due.

I put all 4 Michelin Crossclimate+ on my car since last September. Driven in all weather condition, and can say that I feel in control of the car. Continental all weather is a bit overpriced, wears faster so it was not my choice. 

For good tyre reviews check tyrereviews.co.uk.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

I put all 4 Michelin Crossclimate+ on my car since last September. Driven in all weather condition, and can say that I feel in control of the car. Continental all weather is a bit overpriced, wears faster so it was not my choice. 

For good tyre reviews check tyrereviews.co.uk.....

Each to their own, incidentally what is your source for the comment about the Conti all weathers wearing faster than the Michelins?

tyrereviews.co.uk have the Conti AllSeasonContact as their highest user rated tyre in the 205/55R16 size including a group test by German Auto Bild that specifically mentioned "good wear" under their positives.  I've not used Conti's summer or winter focused tyres so can't comment on the performance/durability of those.  So far the rears have barely worn, despite me occasionally deciding to provoke the rear end.

• Like 1

Tyres - used both Falken 914 and Nokian WR-A3's on my car (still have the Winters on... they're 7 years old so i'm wearing them down), and both make/model of tyres have proven themselves over the time i've had them. I think some of that comes down to the fact that the Focus is a very well balanced, and well engineered car. Have been looking both at the Conti AllSeasonContact (used at work previously), and the Nokian all season offering.

Audio stalk controls - depends on the make of radio, my aftermarket Android radio came with a CAN /steering wheel controls box.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Each to their own, incidentally what is your source for the comment about the Conti all weathers wearing faster than the Michelins?

tyrereviews.co.uk have the Conti AllSeasonContact as their highest user rated tyre in the 205/55R16 size including a group test by German Auto Bild that specifically mentioned "good wear" under their positives.  I've not used Conti's summer or winter focused tyres so can't comment on the performance/durability of those.  So far the rears have barely worn, despite me occasionally deciding to provoke the rear end.

Feel free to check http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm........

After you can have a look at: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm .... thb I was in dilemma btw Michelin and Goodyear, but since local tyre shop had only Michelin I went for them. And have not regretted since....

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, Matt92 said:

What make was the stereo you fitted? I’ve got an adapter for pioneer stereos that I used on my last car which lets you use the stalk controls.

At least I think I’ve got it, would have to check I actually removed it from the car before it went.

Many thanks, unfortunately it's a pumpkin stereo. Think I might just have to pay £40 on eBay which is the best I have seen if I decide having the stalk is worth it.

ashmicro, 1979Damian, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci and Micro thanks for the recommendations.

I have no doubt I wouldn't be upset with any of them, will have a good look at the links provided, and what's available at the time.

Thanks to all for responding.

• Like 1