Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limp Mode focus 1.6 TDCi

Wrightyred

Anyone experienced anything similar ? I get no error codes no engine management light . Taken it to local garage and plugged it diagnostic pc - no codes ??? Only thing to go on is it resets when you restart the car and Limp mode only kicks in around after 30/40 miles continuously/ motorway. 

When limp mode activates - nothing on screen and you have to turn your engine off to get a reading from garage diagnostics??? 

Any help would be appreciated 

wrightyred

Need to get Ford specific diagnostics on it, Forscan would be ideal. 

Is it a mk2 or early mk3?  Has the fuel filter been changed recently?  Does the DPF regen ok?

Hi TomsFocus

fuel filter being changed Tuesday also checking air sensor for front grill . Does not go into limp mode traveling local just after 30/40 miles on Motorway which would indicate something heat related ?? 

Steve 

It’s a mk 3 and do a lot of motorway mileage so don’t know how to regenerate DPF ?? 

If you do a lot of motorway mileage, the DPF should be regenerating ok.  Do you ever notice the cooling fan staying on after switching the engine off?

Motorway driving is surprisingly gentle on the engine (unless you're cruising at 90mph lol), plus it gets plenty of airflow through the grill, town traffic creates far more heat under the bonnet so I don't think it's heat related myself.  I'd say it's more likely to be a sensor that's just starting to fail and is giving readings that are just on the cusp of acceptable, but over time the ECU is sensing these readings are incorrect and triggering limp mode.  MAF sensor would be my guess for this, but we really need some fault codes to get a rough area to be looking at.  Generic garage code readers don't usually pick up the Ford specific codes which is why something like Forscan is so useful.

Really the only thing I'd risk changing without a fault code is the fuel filter, so we'll see if that cures the problem on Tuesday.

Cheers Tom 

will let you know how I get on. 😎👍

Toms Focus

delay in changing fuel filter due to mechanic not ordering part . On one of your previous post , I can confirm a few months ago the fan did over run by a few minutes but only happens a couple of times . 

Cheers

steve 

2 minutes ago, Wrightyred said:

Toms Focus

delay in changing fuel filter due to mechanic not ordering part . On one of your previous post , I can confirm a few months ago the fan did over run by a few minutes but only happens a couple of times . 

Cheers

steve 

You could change the filter yourself if you wanted, but you would need a manual hand pump to prime the system afterwards.  

With regards to the fan running on, that happens because a DPF regeneration was in progress when you switched the engine off.  It's completely normal, it's only a concern if it starts happening regularly. 

Nice one 😎👍 will let you know how I go on - looking Monday 😎👍 Also watched a few you tube vids on MAF sensor would you recommend trying to clean or just replace . ?? 

MAFs are quite delicate, they're easily broken by cleaning if you're a bit heavy handed but you're welcome to try it. 

I'd recommend replacement if it's definitely not reading right...but I was lucky and found a genuine new one on eBay for £30 for mine lol.  Don't bother with aftermarket MAFs, they never work properly.

• Like 1

MAFs are quite delicate, they're easily broken by cleaning if you're a bit heavy handed but you're welcome to try it. 
I'd recommend replacement if it's definitely not reading right...but I was lucky and found a genuine new one on eBay for £30 for mine lol.  Don't bother with aftermarket MAFs, they never work properly.
As Tom says don't bother with aftermarket *****. Not worth it for mafs. I have this argument at work on the regular. They cause more issues than they solve.
  • Like 1

Seen a few online at euro car parts but all look different ?? Don’t know which to purchase ?? 2011 mk 3 . Had parts before and been wrong ?  

Steve 

11 hours ago, Wrightyred said:

Seen a few online at euro car parts but all look different ?? Don’t know which to purchase ?? 2011 mk 3 . Had parts before and been wrong ?  

Steve 

There are only 2 at ECP but neither are genuine.  The £40 HAAS one will be worse than the one you have.  The Magnetti one should be ok but it's still a risk, and it's half the price on Mister-auto.  I'm pretty sure Pierburg make the genuine ones so that's what I'd go for - £65 on mister-auto - https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/air-flow-sensor/pierburg/7-22184-25-0/

This is the genuine one - £250 - but guaranteed to be correct and working - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-C-Max-S-Max-Mondeo-MK4-Focus-Galaxy-Kuga-Air-Flow-Sensor-1480570/273525272323?epid=1209758277&hash=item3faf606f03:g:nTcAAOSwCVtb0cNU

Due to the price of MAFs I wouldn't change one without proving it's faulty on live diagnostics.  This can be done with Forscan.

Just had fuel filter changed today and just completed my first test run of 60 miles successful 😎👍. Test no 2 tomorrow evening 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

Second run done today 20 miles at 50 mph and 55 miles on motorway and all looking good . 😎👍