Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Focus ST (250) idle rattle.

slim8110

Hey guys, just bought a Focus st recently and I noticed that when the car is up to temperature and idling, there is a small rattle it sounds very much like a tensioner, as I have only bought the car I’m unsure if it’s a normal thing. I bought the car with 4 months full ford gold extended warranty but I just wanted to check here first, before I look stupid arriving at the garage.lol I’m aware that these engines run on a can chain and I’m worried it could be it.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST and RS models have so many things rattle. Mine is a rattle box and you should see the RS vibro massage everyone when the aircon is turned on at idle :).

Have it checked, express your concerns and make sure it is not something serious. Once you do that and the car still rattles turn the music louder :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, yeah it seems the music is a cure for a lot of problems!

Thanks for your advice, as I said I’ve only had the car a short time, less than a week, so all the noises are new to me.

As I have the warranty I might as well use it. Let them decide if it’s serious or not.

Are there any other problems I should be looking out for in the future that are seen as common faults with these cars? My car is currently on 52,000 miles.

• Like 1

I would check my coolant and oil levels at least once a week. This is my RS paranoia kicking in [emoji23].

I would check my coolant and oil levels at least once a week. This is my RS paranoia kicking in [emoji23].

Lol, I do that too. all research points too a pretty bulletproof engine, but nobody knows better than someone who has had one. Always useful to hear the scare stories.

• Like 1

My 14 plate ST idles quite rough and it seems to be a common thing on the pre face lift ST’s. oh and as the guy above said, check coolant too! Apart from that, the engine is pretty much bullet proof as you said :) have fun mate and enjoy, cracking little motor!

• Like 1

My 14 plate ST idles quite rough and it seems to be a common thing on the pre face lift ST’s. oh and as the guy above said, check coolant too! Apart from that, the engine is pretty much bullet proof as you said :) have fun mate and enjoy, cracking little motor!

Cheers buddy!! They really are bags of fun. I will keep an eye on the coolant, but so far so good! I will check back when I get ford to check the car, let you know what if anything was wrong.[emoji106]

• 2 months later...

So just a quick update for anyone maybe experiencing the same problem I was.

The car has been with ford now since Monday 1st July, and has been diagnosed as having something wrong with the timing system, so chain, guides, and tensioners are all being replaced under warranty and I should be getting my car back towards the end of this week. Hopefully rattle and noise free.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slim8110 said:

So just a quick update for anyone maybe experiencing the same problem I was.

The car has been with ford now since Monday 1st July, and has been diagnosed as having something wrong with the timing system, so chain, guides, and tensioners are all being replaced under warranty and I should be getting my car back towards the end of this week. Hopefully rattle and noise free.

Nice one, it's always nice to get a crap load of work done for free under warranty 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im always paranoid with my PFL ST250, its very rattley, but it seems normal compared to others, And on the idling issue, I had the Collins CP2 map installed last year and the car idles more smoothly, not quite a smooth as id like, but much better than it did.

• Like 1

Happy days!

At least they’ve diagnosed the fault and are sorting it for you.

It’s making me wonder about mine now, whether or not I need to dig deeper and work out of its a fault or not :)

Happy days!

At least they’ve diagnosed the fault and are sorting it for you.

It’s making me wonder about mine now, whether or not I need to dig deeper and work out of its a fault or not :)

To be very honest, if it didn’t have the warranty when I bought it, I probably would have just drove on with my fingers crossed, but I wouldn’t have enjoyed the car, I’d have been waiting for something to go bang, the car would have been sold in 6 months.lol. I know some engines are noisier than others, and they all have a little rattle somewhere, but let’s face it, if it’s causing too much noise it’s not right, you can be sure it didn’t come off the production line making the same noise, So it shouldn’t be making it now.

My advice is if you can afford it, have it looked at, for peace of mind if nothing else.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club