Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 1.8 tdci

lasthope

posting for a mate he has a  Mondeo 1.8 tdci 2008 don't no if its a mk 3 or 4,he was parked up went shopping jump back in reversed out then drove about 20 foot and lost all gears he says gears seem to move ok but car does not clutch peddle ok he say so any ideas I know he had a new engine in about a month back that's all I can tell you until I see him later

well just been to have look at his car. gears seem to be clicking in ok can see the gear links working ok no noise from gear box or clutch, but still car not move when you let clutch out its a push button start to you need to press clutch in to start all ok that side

If you're definitely getting positive gears and the clutch feels fine I reckon you've lost a CV joint or possibly even the diff.  If you or the owner can get under the car, select a gear and see if you can see either of the inner CV joints spinning.

cheers tom I pasted it on to him he was says he never had any smell from clutch or slipping gears been ok to

To check is not a drive shaft issue or CV joint.  Jack the car up corner side at a time, out of gear and engine off and brakes are off (make sure you have some form of braking blocks around the back wheels) and make sure the wheels turn freely.  Put the car in gear and then see if you can turn a wheel manually.  The wheel should not move very far (rock it only from side to side), meaning that its engage correclty, If it moves more than 1/4 of a turn that it has not engaged with the gearbox so your issue is with that side with the driveshaft or CV joint. Then do the other side.

his mate has been to look at it and he says its the gearbox,,but he has never had any probs when driving it be for this happend so i dont no whats going on untill i see him tomorr

Front wheel drive cars have the diff in the same unit as the gearbox. It could be a diff problem but in reality whether it’s the diff or gearbox does not matter too much as the best answer is a 2nd hand replacement gearbox as dismantling and repair is too expensive/ not practical. Minis from about 15 years ago had similar problem commonly where all drive was lost and that was the diff. Crown wheel spinning on shaft I think.

• Like 1

But I would still want to check to be sure that the inner cv joints are not spinning when engine running in gear

• Like 1

And check inner cv joints are connected to gearbox properly, I do not know if these are the type that push in with a snap ring on them

• Like 1

update on mates car all sorted now was down to a snapped drivre shaft he says this lad picked it up from were it broke down,took it to his little back street work shed lol and costed him £140 all in seems cheap deal

• Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 8:23 PM, lasthope said:

update on mates car all sorted now was down to a snapped drivre shaft he says this lad picked it up from were it broke down,took it to his little back street work shed lol and costed him £140 all in seems cheap deal

Nice one, nothing better than expecting an expensive fix i.e. replacement gearbox and getting away with a much cheaper fix.

I my mate was well happy,,,goes to show still some honest people about

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club