Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 Deisel vs 1.6? Any difference?

Pabby1980

Hi, 

I'm just about to buy a Focus deisel, either the 1.5 or the 1.6. Around 2014-2016.

The car salesman says there's no difference between the two engines, just one is newer. 

I'm old enough not to believe a word car salesmen say so thought I'd post on here and see if any of you guys can give me the lowdown on the difference, if any. 

Thanks for your time. 

Paul

Well I'm pretty sure the 1.5 is only available on the facelift for a start, plus when I've looked at the difference on specs apparently the MPG is better on the 1.5 so yeah, ignore the salesman. That's all I know 

• Thanks 1

The 1.5 is a much newer design and a lot better engine very smooth and responsive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Right well I won't be buying a car from that guy then. 

I've found a good 1.5 example (I hope) in Derby at Hilton Garage. Not sure if I can post a link on here but I'll try. 

https://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/used-ford-focus-derby-derbyshire-1969460

Thanks again for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

apparently the 1.5 is supplied by Renault ??? the 1.6 is PSA unit  !!!!!??????

Guess you need to ask a Ford Technician

9 minutes ago, Focus57 said:

apparently the 1.5 is supplied by Renault ??? the 1.6 is PSA unit  !!!!!??????

Guess you need to ask a Ford Technician

Not afaik.

The 1.6 is a PSA engine which Ford helped (perhaps just financially) develop, but afaik, they then "forked", so PSA continued to evolve with the BlueHDI, Ford down sized slightly and now presumably make it themselves (or maybe share the production line with PSA?)

So the 1.5 is still an evolution of the 1.6. It's a better engine than the old 1.6, so I'd definitely get the new one if possible.

Or supplied by Renault??? as no one in Fords has any idea of where this engine could be made,,apparantley the old 1.6 psa was built in Britain and the production stopped their some time ago, Ford never announced where the new units would be made ??

Well I’ve seen parts of these engines with the Peugeot, Citroen and Ford logos on, but never Renault. The 1.5 from what I’ve read is an 8 valve engine and actually a progression from the earlier 1.4, whereas the 1.6 is a 16 valve engine.

The 1.5 TDCI in Fords is NOT the 1.5DCi used in Renaults, Nissans and Dacia's, it's a completely different engine, it just happens to be the same capacity.  

9 minutes ago, Matt92 said:

Well I’ve seen parts of these engines with the Peugeot, Citroen and Ford logos on, but never Renault. The 1.5 from what I’ve read is an 8 valve engine and actually a progression from the earlier 1.4, whereas the 1.6 is a 16 valve engine.

The 1.6 had a 8 valve version from about 2010.

Ahh, I didn’t know that about the 1.6.

The DV6 diesel engine is a relatively old design (mid 2000). There are many variations, but the engine layout is almost the same.

The DV6 engine is put in Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, Mini, Fords, and some other minor brands.

The more recent version is the 1.5 liter engine, which Ford put first in their vehicles, starting around 2015. The engine output is 90bhp and 120bhp.

The French have started using the same 1.5 liter engine from 2018. They offer it in 90bhp, 110bhp and 130 bhp.

In general, it's a pretty good and reliable engine, as long as you treat it well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club