Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 1.8 Duratec hesitation/jerkiness at low speed

rhyds

Ever since I bought it, my 1.8 Duratec HE MK2.5 has been a little jerky/hesitant at low speeds e.g. pulling away and pottering around town. Its as if the throttle was "snapping" open on anything other than feather-light application and making you feel like a learner again! It seems to get better as it warms up but you end up having to use much more clutch slip than you think if you want to drive smoothly at low speed.

I've given the throttle body a good clean and a squirt of WD-40 for lube (in case it was sticking), changed the plugs and air filter and generally serviced the car well over the last year and a bit I've had it, but the car's got no better (or worse). The only odd thing I found was that the throttle body didn't snap shut under spring return, but stopped a few MM short but could easily be pushed to fully shut.

Are there any checks I can do using Forscan or similar to check if the throttle pedal is giving the correct data in to the ECU and to check if the throttle body is working correctly, or is this how they seem to be normally?

My previous car was the same engine and my parents have one as well. We both found that just a little throttle would send the revs flying, not enough revs and the engines stalls. 

One thing I did on mine was using Elmconfig to change one of the settings to sport, I can’t remember which though. It might have been transmission or throttle, seem to remember it was more for autos, but altered the throttle response on manuals. Perhaps it was all in the mind, but I felt the car was much easier to drive after that. 

• Like 1

Nice one Matt. I'll take a look through ELMConfig for that setting because my own Focus either revs up like a superbike or else stalls.

Cheers for the tip.

There must be something that can be done, I’ve driven Volvos with the same engine and they seem completely different. But it does a good job and in the 5 or so years I had mine it didn’t give me a single problem that was up to 105000 miles and my parents have had theirs for 11 years and it’s also been flawless. 

My new diesel certainly pulls a lot better, I just hope it’s as reliable.🤞

34 minutes ago, Matt92 said:

There must be something that can be done, I’ve driven Volvos with the same engine and they seem completely different. But it does a good job and in the 5 or so years I had mine it didn’t give me a single problem that was up to 105000 miles and my parents have had theirs for 11 years and it’s also been flawless. 

My new diesel certainly pulls a lot better, I just hope it’s as reliable.🤞

service it on time and it should be.

Yeah I’ll be keeping on top of that. I do it myself, in fact I did it yesterday despite the garage I bought it from doing it a couple of months ago. oil and filter changed, four tyres and both driveshaft seals and gearbox oil. I’ve got the fuel filter too, but didn’t want to tackle that until I had more time.😅

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club