Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service dept - whats the point

robbyvrs

Well spoke to 2 different dealers trying to get my shed booked in for the EML issue which came back again this morning and got nowhere.

I had this problem 800 miles ago which turned out to be the o2 sensor and took 2 visits to sort,

The light came on again this morning and the car has a loss of power as though it has no turbo but isn't in limp mode (revs all the way up).

I phoned the last useless lot who said it would be a month before they could book it in with a courtesy car (needed so i can get to work for 4.15am), wouldn't let me call in after work for them to plug it in and wont collect it with the warning light on( but it's ok for me to drive)????

phoned another dealer who said i would have to leave the car with them for the day, no courtesy car for 4 weeks, told them my work situation but she didn't care

What is the point of having a newish car when it has problem after problem, isn't reliable enough to get to work and back and the dealers don't care then when fixed it breaks down again?

totally fecked off with the service idiots attitudes, don't want to help, expect me to lose a days wages to sit in their showrooms while they plug the thing in then tell me they have to order a part and repeat the process again

Phoned RAC who are calling in the next 2 hours who will diagnose the problem then as before dealer will take no notice and insist on their own diagnosis so back to square 1

rant over - for now

For all it counts... sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. In my previous experiences with service staff - it really depends on which dealer and brand you go to. Used to have a Toyota before my current car and the service staff were nothing short of amazing. Clear explanations, good technical understanding, no issues with dates etc... my current Ford dealer has been very average at best:

1. Tried booking my car for an oil/oil filter change at 9k miles (service interval is at 18k) and was told multiple times that "it doesn't need it" and "why would i do it earlier". I had valid reasons and wasn't comfortable with changing oil at 18k when Ford haven't been able to backup the increase in mileage between services with any technical developments. Pretty much out right refused to do it so had to go to a different dealer. 

2. At first occurence of rattles inside the car - the rattles were acknowledged but was then told after the car was with the dealer for the full day that they "took the door panels off, nothing was loose and is all secure" so should now be fine - I then played music slightly louder than usual and the rattle was still there. 

3. Wanted to find out about getting a spare tyre to my car and given that when I asked there seemed a bit of a rush and I wasn't really desperate for the wheel, I suggested they just call me back when they get 5 mins free to have a look at the total cost of the alloy and tyre - never got any info back. 

4. As much as I hate to say it, depending on who the service rep I speak to is, it just seems that they repeat what they've been told by the mechanics but don't actually fully understand what it is that they are telling me which is a bit of a shame as when you have further question or aren't entirely happy - "you have to book it in again". As I say, depends on the rep and most are fine but on the odd occasion, there is a clear lack of actual technical knowledge imo which in a service department seems odd. 

Have you had it serviced by Ford since you got it? If so you can call Ford breakdown (I believe this is included with a Ford service for 1yr) at a convenient time (when you have a few hours); pretend you know nothing about cars and say there's an engine warning light on and I guess they might come out and actually diagnose it. Since it'll be "by Ford" (they probably use the same breakdown people as anyone else) they should take the diagnosis more seriously. 

Another route would be to plug in a OBDII adapter and check the code yourself to at least figure out what it might be, even if it still needs to go in to get fixed 

Well 3 hours after calling the RAC and being told they would be here within 2 hours, any later and they'd call me to let me know  - well they failed to show 😞  phoned them back as they didn't call me and was told they'd be at least another hour....................... i get up at 3am so cancelled them for tonight

Did a scan on a generic fault code reader which came up with the same o2 sensor as the 1 replaced 800 miles ago - not happy - are they using the cheapest parts?

I booked the car in at 12 months old for the convinience check and oil + filter change, upon collection they'd done a free health check instead and didn't do the oil + filter change as the mileage was so low (1100 miles) - rebooked for June when i'm off work (also having other issues sorted) so have no Ford assistance till then - sods law

The last time the EML came on no dealer could fit me in for 3 weeks so i called Ford assist, the AA turned up and diagnosed the sensor in 5 mins

I was actually looking to keep this car for a while (ordered a Pipercross filter yesterday) but with repeated problems and not being able to get a dealer to fix it within 4 weeks i don't think i can live with it - time to look for a replacement i think

Sorry to hear.

Our dealer is Evans Halshaw and have never in 2 and a half years had issues with them.

They have sorted any niggles out on our mk8, the last being the o2 sensor failure. Reported on a Friday afternoon, collected from work on the Monday morning with car left to use and returned Monday afternoon.

I guess it is the luck of the draw, some great dealers and some awful ones I guess.

If you had the 12 month check done, that should have given you a further year breakdown cover free through Ford. This happened on both of our cars after the first yr check and service.

Hopefully they will sort the problem or consider finding a better local man dealer.

10 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Sorry to hear.

Our dealer is Evans Halshaw and have never in 2 and a half years had issues with them.

They have sorted any niggles out on our mk8, the last being the o2 sensor failure. Reported on a Friday afternoon, collected from work on the Monday morning with car left to use and returned Monday afternoon.

I guess it is the luck of the draw, some great dealers and some awful ones I guess.

If you had the 12 month check done, that should have given you a further year breakdown cover free through Ford. This happened on both of our cars after the first yr check and service.

Hopefully they will sort the problem or consider finding a better local man dealer.

Which Evans Halshaw? mine is booked in with the Batley branch next month for the headlight, drivers window rattle and the convinience check which should have been done last month to top up the breakdown (they did a health check instead which doesn't include the breakdown), tried to get it booked in for the EML but they don't have a loan car for 3-4 weeks

Evan's Halshaw Hull West (Ford).

They collected ours again from work, took it for the yearly health check and brought it back 4 or 5 hours later with a piece of Ford headed paper with the breakdown details etc for the second year showing the car is covered.

As said previously when they collect ours from the Mrs work, they always leave a car and insure her on it just incase as they have her documents (licence copy) on file.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Evan's Halshaw Hull West (Ford).

That's good service. Our friends in Hull use the same branch and have always seemed satisfied with the service - they've had 3 Fiestas from there. It does seem that E H are not consistent across the chain, though.

Before they moved to the new area in West Hull, they used to be based in East Hull around 10 years ago. Had the Focus there a couple of times and they were a bit hit and miss before they moved.

They do now seem as though nothing is too much trouble for them, always seem helpful and go out of their way for customers. It also seems very busy.

When i phoned trust ford in Huddersfield they said they didn't have a loan car for 4 weeks, i asked if they could collect mine from work, fix it and deliver it back, she told me they don't pick up cars with warning lights on????????????

EH collected ours, no problem. 

The Eml was orange and not red.

12 hours ago, Mavroz said:

EH collected ours, no problem. 

The Eml was orange and not red.

The EML light is always amber - if it's constantly on it safe to drive, if it's flashing then not safe to drive (mines constant)

The service guy told us if anything went red, stop immediately and contact them so they can have the vehicle towed and not driven back to them. He didn't mention any flashing.

@Mavroz

Manual for the MK7.5 says orange flashing = stop, do not drive, steady orange = ok to drive but get it check asap.

1 hour ago, Ad@m said:

@Mavroz

Manual for the MK7.5 says orange flashing = stop, do not drive, steady orange = ok to drive but get it check asap.

Sorry Ad@m, I was referring to the wife's Mk8.

Not sure if the 7.5 is the same as the 8 without looking, just going by what the service guy said regarding the red warning light.

5 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Sorry Ad@m, I was referring to the wife's Mk8.

Not sure if the 7.5 is the same as the 8 without looking, just going by what the service guy said regarding the red warning light.

I was told the MK8 is the same - flashing = don't drive, Constant = ok to drive

Had a quick look in the manual, orange is a warning, flashing orange only says reduce speed and avoid hard acceleration. Nowhere does it mention don't drive. There is no mention of red.

I am at dealer on Saturday with my car for 2 yr service, will ask the service guys the about the indicator lamp colours if I get chance.

Well here's an update

Car went into dealers wednesday afternoon to be left until friday. Collected car friday and was told they'd replaced the power control module, OBD port and another module (can;t remember which?) as well as a software update.

Drove car home fed up but slightly happier knowing it was now sorted

Saturday morning (today) driving to work got approx 1 mile from home and the light came on yet again FFS!!!!!!

Phoned dealer up as soon as they opened and was told ford knew about the problem and were waiting for a software update???? (thought they'd just done 1) - was told to ring back monday to rebook when a mater tech was available

Car has now done 1800 miles - what an unreliable thing this is, even ford don't know what the problem is, dealer keeps replacing parts with no cure

i've reset the light myself so i can look around for a new car - this is a disaster which is a shame as it was a car i was looking to keep longer than my usual 3 months

Well light stayed off for 17 miles this time before reapearing 😞

Dealer now says they want it for 3-4 days to replace a wiring loom???? booked in for next week so this bank holiday weekends trips out are cancelled 🤬

Can't believe this car is causing so much hassle - they think the loom will sort it but i didn't get the impression they were 100% confident - what the hell will they do when this doesn't cure it?

Why can't we have Lemon Laws in th UK as they do in the USA - would love to chuck this thing back at Ford and get a refund or replacement

If they are keeping your car for 3 or 4 days, I am presuming it is all being sorted under warranty? If so the dealer should loan you a car while they have your car.

Yes it's covered under warranty and i'll be getting a loan car (after bank hol weekend) - what's annoying is they amount of time it's been/ going to garage for same problem

1st time - they collected car in morning, mid afternoon they call to say i've disabled OBD port so they can't get into it - i put a sticker in the window that's all, they try again and say they can't communicate between car and Ford so car comes back with nothing done

2nd time - i call in and wait 2 hours while they fit the o2 sensor - told it's now sorted - lasts 800 miles before light comes back on

3rd time - drop car off weds afternoon and collect fri afternoon - PCM module. OBD port, BCM (i think) replaced and software update done - told it's sorted - lasts until sat morning when light comes on again

4th time - next week - replacing wiring loom as this will sort it (yep heard this before) - drop off tues and collect in 3-4 days

so that will be 8-9 days in garage for same problem and not 100% sure it'll be fixed

booked it into another dealers 3 weeks ago for June (i'm off work) for a replacement headlight and drivers door window creaking so that'll be another full day

I've never had a car off the road so many times ever - it's only done 1800 miles now as well, maybe if it was a 30 year old car with 200k i'd understand but at this age/ mileage it beggars belief

A warranty is good but if the problem doesn't get fixed all it does it save me paying for the car to be off the road and sat in a garage getting covered in scratches (they don't seem to use protective covers over the wings/ bumper) - pi55es me off getting the car back in a state when i keep it spotless 😞  they even unplug the dashcam so i can't see how the treat it

If you are paying for it via Ford Credit, get onto them, explain the situation and what you have had to go through. They were very understanding with our satnav issue and came to an agreement which suited us all.

13 hours ago, Mavroz said:

If you are paying for it via Ford Credit, get onto them, explain the situation and what you have had to go through. They were very understanding with our satnav issue and came to an agreement which suited us all.

I paid cash for the car (with p/x) so no fall back - i would have got onto the finance company as they can help with these situations

Still looking at other cars, if anything catches my eye before next week i'll be changing again - don't really want to as when this car is running properly i like it 😞

What a depressing thread, really hope you all get sorted.

16 minutes ago, mozz said:

What a depressing thread, really hope you all get sorted.

I know - i usually read stories like this from other people and think i'm lucky or they have a lemon/ abuse their car - as i take care of my cars this is either a lemon or fate has played a part.

I spoke to another dealer today whilst at work and he mentioned wiring looms can have breaks in the wires, not a common problem but it does happen 😞 i'm not sure how a wire can suddenly break or which part of the loom the dealer is changing? I'm worried if they change the loom behind the dash then it's a dash out job which can end up with marks to the interior (i'm really fussy so wouldn't accept this) or end up with rattles

Been on to a garage tonight who has a nice looking Audi A1 S-Line for sale - 125bhp but Celtic tuning can remap it to 180bhp 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club