Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil leak on driveway - opinion on cause?

StephenFord

I've just noticed a small oil stain on my driveway, right under the centre of my car, anyone hazard a guess as to the potential cause?

Do you mean central of the engine, or front to back middle of the floor? 

Mid way on the engine could be a lot of things, crank seal between the engine and gearbox, drive shaft seals (just changed both of mine due to slight seeping), rocker cover gasket. You’d really need to look around and see what the highest point is, of course if it’s anywhere near the driveshafts or rotating bits they throw oil in all directions.

8 minutes ago, Matt92 said:

Do you mean central ...... front to back middle of the floor? 

Yep, that's correct, not an engine leak, smack bang in the centre of the floor pan...

Ahh, well in that case it can’t be many things. There’s only the fuel pipes and the brake pipes that run along the length, yours being petrol shouldn’t be leaving oily marks, so I’d be looking at having the brake pipes checked, they can rust anywhere, but a favourite place is where they are held in the plastic clips. An MOT should pick up rusty pipes long before they get to the point where they start leaking, but you never know.

• Like 1

And is it definitely oil, and not a water/grease/dirt mix? Now it's getting warmer, it might be the AC drain.

7 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Have you determined what type of oil it is?

The stain is about 2" in diameter, and despite me rubbing it, I can't determine what it is!  It made the same mark on a friends driveway yesterday too as well as my own, (it was they who kindly pointed it out to me after they just had their driveway cleaned last week!). I do keep the A/C on permanently, but am use to the condensation drip that occurs under the compressor, this wasn't it.

For a start get under there if you can or jack up and check the plastic box nearer the passenger side and see if it's covered in oil. If not check the shafts behind that go into the gearbox for signs of tears/leaks and up front in the middle of the engine check for leaks around the oil filter.

Any joints in the brake lines in that area? 

Exhaust leak?  The condensation and soot can mix in the exhaust and leave drip marks on the ground when blowing from a centre join...I've had exactly the same myself on a Fiesta, spent ages looking under the engine for the leak...

• Like 1

Had a look myself and can see nothing obvious. I've booked the car in on Monday to a local garage who will investigate with the advantage of 1) they know what they're doing and 2) they have a ramp! Will report back on any progression...

• Like 1

Bung a takeaway tub (or something sizable enough) where the stain is to catch the offending drops overnight, just make sure you park in the same place to know where to put it!

I did this and learned after a couple of days (Yeah.. days...) that I'm better duct taping the tub in place because of the wind.. Blu tac works as well if you have enough, but a few stones in the tub to weigh it down means it still gets blown about..

Just for something to try? You'll see better what it actually is, and also how much there is as well to know how much of a concern to give about it ^_^

• Like 1

Any chance it’s water condensation from Your  cars A/C?

I have just fixed an oil leak where the symptoms were much like you describe. I was convinced it was a crankshaft seal, then I got underneath with a strong torch and examined things more carefully.

I traced a track of fresh oil up the back of the engine block to the camshaft cover.

What a relief, 1/2 an hour or so to put a new seal in the cover was much easier than getting a crank seal out.

The moral of the story is 'get out and get under'

ScaniaPBman.

1 hour ago, catfish79 said:

Any chance it’s water condensation from Your  cars A/C?

Nope, the compressor is under the engine compartment, and I'm well use to the tell tale water drip afterit's use in all my cars over 3 decades...

OK guys, turns out my spatial awareness is crap, sorry for bum steer LOL The leak was from a coolant hose near bottom of engine bay. Originally held on by a 'spring' clip which obviously had lost it's tension as the hose was fine. Repair involved a nice shiny jubilee clip, then system pressure tested at 30psi which it held just fine. Oh, cheapest repair I've had to any car in years!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Definitely great to hear it's nothing major!

Forgot to post this photo in case it's any help to anyone, unlikely, I know...

305425490_newclipcaption.thumb.jpg.a178c07ea429711391823b7cf21dee8d.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club