Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Windows 10 won't see dvd/cd drive on MSi Laptop.

jace1969

My cover broke off the dvd drive a few months ago so i removed the drive just 1 screw and fixed it and put it back,just noticed as i never use it a lot its not there in Device manager.

I have tried.

re-boot into Bios setting and its set to first one on boot which is fine.

on device manager and pressed show hidden drives and re-boot.

Taken it back out and put it in again but nothing.

It wont open as it aint going to if not there only if i put a pin into the hole and it opens then.

Any advice to try would be great as i have tried a nice few stuff.

In Device Manager can you scan for Hardware Change? 

Never worked with Win10 so if it's not that, I'm lost! 😁

My MSI hasn't got a DVD drive but if I ever need one I have an external Bluray drive.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Its a great laptop,had it for a good 3 years and so fast its amazing but like you said Stoney871 it aint a major thing but it was there a few months ago but gone.

Yes i have tried 'find new devices' but nothing,its weird how windows cant see it and its in the Bios setting as first boot.

In your bios is the drive showing as a boot able device ?

Also are you able to open the drive by pressing the eject button ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Anthonybanni said:

In your bios is the drive showing as a boot able device ?

Also are you able to open the drive by pressing the eject button ?

When i boot and hold the DEL button for Bios setting its set to boot first and it says DVD drive First,are these just setting not what the computer sees on boot.

No this is how i found the problem,i cant eject the drive only by the pin hole so went looking for the eject through device manager and the drive but nothing there.

When i boot and hold the DEL button for Bios setting its set to boot first and it says DVD drive First,are these just setting not what the computer sees on boot.
No this is how i found the problem,i cant eject the drive only by the pin hole so went looking for the eject through device manager and the drive but nothing there.

Ahh okay .. can you see the drive in “ my computer” ?

17 hours ago, Anthonybanni said:

Ahh okay .. can you see the drive in “ my computer” ?

There is no drive through.......Device manager/My computer or even a search.

I have contacted MSI as im a registered person there and they have sent me off there site the Bios update and the EC Firmware update,Bios i have done A1 but getting problems with the EC Firmware update as the install box wont pop up like being blocked and i have turned off my Kaspersky total security but the same,i know the drive is fine as its never used a lot,I have but a topic on MSi forum and also emailed direct again like i have before.

There is no drive through.......Device manager/My computer or even a search.
I have contacted MSI as im a registered person there and they have sent me off there site the Bios update and the EC Firmware update,Bios i have done A1 but getting problems with the EC Firmware update as the install box wont pop up like being blocked and i have turned off my Kaspersky total security but the same,i know the drive is fine as its never used a lot,I have but a topic on MSi forum and also emailed direct again like i have before.

Have you tried right clicking it and running as administrator?

On 5/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, Anthonybanni said:

Have you tried right clicking it and running as administrator?

I have tried Administrator and even tried safe mode.

It aint a big deal in one way but if its there i would like it to work.

I would say that the drive is totally dead, if it was getting power then it would show up on the device menu.

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I would say that the drive is totally dead, if it was getting power then it would show up on the device menu.

Well lets say that is the case,i have even asked MSi help off email and sent model number etc and even taken a picture of the drive and i cant find one for the MSi which i did

think just get a cheap new one but its the connector in the back of it the problem as hard to find

Its a

20190510_150417.jpg

Cheers stoney,so these would slot right in as the plastic cover on mine which should be clipped its glued as the one clip broke on the front.

Will have to pop mine out again and look at the back of it as i think it looks the same.

The second one on your link is i think a no go,post is as much of the drive Lol.

• Like 1

Glad to help.
If any of the ones I posted (number 2 excepted of course [emoji6]) physically fit then it won't take much effort to find and install the correct drivers if they aren't exactly the same spec as the original drive.

Looking at the picture i think its the first link where it shows you 4 pictures it has a dip in the drive which mine don't its flat.

I have sent a message with my picture of the other one as it only shows you 1 picture so cant see the back but this looks the most likely one so far,so hard to find the same drive.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club