Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn location

TangoDaz

Hi help needed

I need to change the horn on a mk3.5 focus from a single to a dual horn  I believe it is behind the bumper on the left hand side  is this correct and how do I get to it  

thanks in advance  

Darren 

This is something I am also really keen to do, what we’re they tanking putting a little ‘toot toot’ horn in!! 

I was under the impression that the horn is were you said it was too, and that to access it properly you should take the bumper off. I don’t believe you can reach it properly any other way but it May be worth removing the headlight and seeing if you can get down to it from above?

would you mind posting a link to the horn you use as a replacement and a little guide if you do it? I haven’t had the time to investigate unfortunately so would like you to do the hard work 😉 

seriously though, my next decent time off to look into doing this is the end of June so if you haven the done it I will be looking into it. I used a Bosch EC9 I think it was when I did my old Fabia horn

I removed the headlight today but no joy no horn to be seen. So I’m afraid it’s off with the bumper. 

Only the undertrays need to come off to access the horn

• Like 3

Thanks that’s great news

It only takes 5 minutes to pop the bumper off on the floor, saves having to jack up remove the undertrays when you're doing it on a driveway.  I agree undertrays are easier if you've got  ramp.

• Like 2

It's an embarrassing horn. The one in my previous 14 plate fiesta was better.

The horn on the mk 2.5 and mk 3 are great.  Worst horns I've had were on a Fiat Punto and motorbikes; they're worse on the latter and you'd think the manufacturers would realise the importance of a decent loud horn when your on a bike!

Thomsfocus

How do you remove the bumper??

6 minutes ago, TangoDaz said:

Thomsfocus

How do you remove the bumper??

Probably easier to watch a YouTube video than try to explain it lol.  Headlights unbolted and laid back, bonnet cable popped off the lever, 3 T30s in each wheel arch and then about 10 plastic clips to pop out.  Then the bumper is free and just needs a gentle tug each side to release from the mounts.

Great thread! My Mk2 and I had a near miss at the weekend when a huge lorry decided to occupy the lane I was in, and on tooting my horn, realised I had as much authority as a conservative PM LOL Yep, when you find a suitable, loud horn, please can you post a link as I'm now interested in this upgrade!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Great thread! My Mk2 and I had a near miss at the weekend when a huge lorry decided to occupy the lane I was in, and on tooting my horn, realised I had as much authority as a conservative PM LOL Yep, when you find a suitable, loud horn, please can you post a link as I'm now interested in this upgrade!

You should hear a 2007 Kia Rio (my mother in law's), it sounds like a childs battery powered "noddy" car.

Besides the embarassment of being seen IN IT (in general), even if someone really annoys you, you daren't beep anyone because it just draws the wrong kind of attention (Plus there's always the risk that someone who knows you might see you driving it). :shy:

There's a funny clip on Youtube (in America) where someone has fitted the big air horns of a train to their "truck", it requires a compressor but they go driving around residential/urban areas and make people jump.  Seeing as it sounds like once of the big Amtrak trains it's enough to make anyone spill their coffee!

Edit : I stopped being lazy and had a quick look for the clip I was talking about here although their are other similar examples.

• Like 1

That horn clip is hilarious - yes, that's the one I want LOL

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That horn clip is hilarious - yes, that's the one I want LOL

As Jeremy Clarkson said more than once "I think some poo just shot out" 🤣

• 5 months later...

Just giving this thread a bump. Has anyone upgraded the horn in a Mk2? Used my horn again today, and wanted to crawl into the boot of my car from embarrassment!

Don't think I've even tried mine yet, one to tick off my 'bucket list' today, maybe.. 

28 minutes ago, mozz said:

Don't think I've even tried mine yet, one to tick off my 'bucket list' today, maybe.. 

Well, the positive thing is you can try it anytime, it's not as if you'll disturb anyone LOL

• Haha 1

Is the Mk2 horn different to the facelift one?  I never had any issue with it myself!  Far better than the Mk3 horn that was feeble...on the rare occasion that it actually worked (which it didn't in the odd emergency situation)! :unsure: 

Well, on my Mk2, I feel this would be a considerable upgrade! LOL

3506.thumb.jpg.15636c80a815874798ed82e286d098aa.jpg

• Haha 2

I’m hoping the weather stays dry this weekend so I can get the bumper off my car and fit my new horns, although I’m going to see if there is another way to do it first. I bought the yellow Hella ClearTone horn from amazon.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:44 PM, StephenFord said:

Just giving this thread a bump. Has anyone upgraded the horn in a Mk2? Used my horn again today, and wanted to crawl into the boot of my car from embarrassment!

If you want a loud horn get Hella.

Wow, that 'test' is the most feeble thing I've heard LOL (31 minutes, 40 seconds)

It only takes 5 minutes to pop the bumper off on the floor, saves having to jack up remove the undertrays when you're doing it on a driveway.  I agree undertrays are easier if you've got  ramp.
How do you do it without removing the undertray?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

How do you do it without removing the undertray?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

May not be able to on the facelift, I had a PFL.  No need to remove undertray at all though, just pop out the plastic centre-press rivets holding the front tray to the bumper iirc...

IMG_20180220_104044173_HDR.thumb.jpg.f7c6d2016b7e2a41a5f1d582a8e5aa8a.jpg

IMG_20180220_104049339_HDR.thumb.jpg.c6ded520f8e38fb2dfde8a83cb392d25.jpg

IMG_20180220_102649628.thumb.jpg.5d1a988b77fe14966f96c1dac24c2483.jpg

IMG_20180220_104055678.thumb.jpg.aa5c5c92bb5313e6743ecf16cf09c9c7.jpg

• Like 1