Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 black smoke

gecko255

Hi peeps sorry my first post is for help but when in need ask.

I was driving home from work at 70 on the motorway when the power train light came on. The car wouldn't accelerate and was lumpy and I started to get smoke out of the exhaust. The light went off when i pulled over and restarted the engine but came back on when the car got to 2k to 2.5k rpm and was slow pulling off.

In the last 4 months I have replaced the top and bottom intercooler pipes due to a split, replaced the fuel filter etc and have looked for any oil spray by the turbo but cant see any on the manifold or exhaust.

I have read it might be the egr valve sticking. The car has done 72k.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, gecko255 said:

The light went off when i pulled over and restarted the engine but came back on when the car got to 2k to 2.5k rpm and was slow pulling off.

That sounds like limp mode. You need to read the fault codes and take it from there.

• Like 1

Think I've found the culprit as lots of sludge around 1 injector

20190514_075210.jpg

On my 1.6tdci I got a load of goo like that around all 4 injectors at different times. Each time I fixed it just by doing the injector retaining nuts up a bit tighter (but if you snap them / strip them you will have serious problems so don't go too mad). 

But the only ill effect of that goo was the smell of burning diesel in the car from the heater. It never affected the power /running of the engine / exhaust smoke.

• Like 1

I know i hate that smell. I'm going to replace the seal and see what happens, just hope the injector doesn't want to snap :scared: !!! and will keep you updated 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club