Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen reflection

Nick Y

Anyone else with a Mk 7.5 have an issue with the trim from the dash (where the screen hood is) reflecting on the windscreen?
It's rather annoying as it can impede vision in strong sunlight (as evident in footage from my dashcam). Even with the filter on the camera (and sunglasses on), the reflection is still there.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can prevent this?

Inked2019_0514_064557_015F_Moment(2)_LI.jpg

• Like 1

I wear polarising sunglasses and they get rid of all reflections in your windscreen.

• Like 2

I find the blue circle more distracting😂 sorry couldn't  resist, i have  reflection probs too C-max, yeasrs ago you didnt get sommany problems as windscreen where more vertical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It just seems a bit stupid that any vehicle manufacturer can allow these reflections on the screen because they can and do affect vision. If there is an accident caused because you were effectively blinded by the reflection, there'd be a lot of consequences. 
I've never had a car with reflections this bad. I don't understand why all modern cars aren't fitted with tinted screens to reduce that reflection (my Vectra and Astra had one). 
It does seem like it's just that panel above the info screen which causes the issue. 

As I said above, even with proper sunglasses on (not cheap £5 jobs from supermarkets) and even normal glasses with an anti-glare coating on, it it really bad. The filter on the camera does work to block some of it out but it is still clearly visible. 

I think the choices I have are either an ugly dash mat (which would block the vents to the display screen) or I'll have to remove the panel and spray it with an anti-reflective paint which will affect the look of the car. 
Also, modern cleaning products and valeting products are designed to bring out the shine on the surface. Those products just make things 10x worse. 

The Mk3 Focus is just as bad for this!!  Easily the worst car I've had for screen reflections, I think it's because of the long, shallow angled screen.  On he Mk2 Focus and the Golf, the screens are a lot closer to vertical.

As you say, shiny dash products are definitely a bad idea lol, I don't put any products on the dash myself as even the 'matt' ones don't seem to be.  Don't really know what you could do to stop it though.

Yes , we noticed a couple of tests back that the dash reflects in the screen when it is really sunny. As someone has already suggested, sunglasses help a lot.

• Like 1

This annoys me as well. It's present on my Nextbase 512g even with the filtered lens.

Tried this this afternoon.   The first photo is with a standard iPhone and the second is with the same phone with a polarizing sunglasses lens over the camera lens.IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.ec5a247da4645e19906db6c6670ad499.JPGIMG_0387.thumb.JPG.8bbe716660402e00057142ba484ad5d3.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/15/2019 at 12:32 PM, Mavroz said:

As someone has already suggested, sunglasses help a lot.

Yes, I drive in decent quality sunglasses most of the time (not in the dark) and have for years. I used to suffer really badly from migraines (still do to some extent) but found they could be triggered by glare and the sunglasses helped a lot. Plus they help me look even cooler than I already am!😎

• Like 1

Haha, I don't use mine in the dark either but use them regularly when driving, even when it isn't brilliant sunshine. Mine have prescription lenses.

I wear Bloc sunglasses, excellent glare and reflection reduction plus reasonable price too.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Cheers guys. I have to wear prescription sunglasses and prescription glasses for driving due to being a little short sighted. I miss the days when I didn't need glasses and had both long sight and short sight. 
The sunglasses do help but I don't wear them in dismal weather. My glasses also help a little as they have an anti-glare coating on them. 
It's just annoying to see the reflection on the screen. 

14 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I drive in decent quality sunglasses most of the time (not in the dark) and have for years. I used to suffer really badly from migraines (still do to some extent) but found they could be triggered by glare and the sunglasses helped a lot. Plus they help me look even cooler than I already am!😎

I suffer migraines too (aural migraines) and they are horrible. Sunlight does bring them on sometimes, as does heat but most of the time it's either caused by hunger or that the pressure has changed and a storm is brewing. 

On a side note, I suffered chronically with migraine from mid teens upto around 10 years ago. I was in prescription painkillers for it. I know what you sufferers are going through as it is debilitating, especially when at work.

Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed with erratic blood pressure, not high all the time, but low all the time. They can't give me an answer what causes it, nor could they give me an answer what caused the migraine.

Their answer to control the blood pressure was changing prescribed medication until they found a suitable solution to my problem.

The crux of this is that since I have been on medication to control my erratic blood pressure, my migraines have gone..... completely vanished!

The doctor told me that it is nothing to do with the medication, in most people migraine subsides with age??

Sorry for the slight off topic deviation.

• Like 1

Another one! There do seem to be a lot of us on here, but then I've been told it does mainly affect intelligent people😀 - but really it's no joke, particularly when you get people dismissing it as "just a headache".

Mine seemed to be mainly stress-related, though as mentioned above glare also seemed a trigger. I started really suffering about the same time as my 'O' level course, then continued through college and work, though oddly as I climbed higher up the greasy pole it seemed to lessen, getting a bit older by then as well, of course.

Interesting what you say about the blood pressure, Martin. My incidence/severity  has dropped again since 60 when I was told I have a heart condition and put on beta-blockers. I've discussed with my GP/consultant whether this could partly be responsible for the reduction in migraines and they said it could well be.

And another sorry from me for diverting off topic!

• Like 1

I have a dash mat which reduces the glare significantly. Still not perfect though 

18C998A9-1694-424D-8396-C8ACADA93E2E.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a Mk7.5 Fiesta 16 plate. Although you can see the reflections if you look, I don't find them in any way distracting whilst driving.

You have to be focusing on objects quite close to your car before the reflections come into focus. In normal everyday driving you should be looking well ahead up the road by a good few hundred metres or more, if you are doing that then you won't see the reflections. If you are staring at the back of the car 50 metres in front,  you are not driving correctly or following too closely.

• Like 1

I have experienced this once with my mk8 fiesta when I used the dashboard shiner , after that I stopped using it and I clean the dash by simply wiping it with a damp cloth, no reflections at all since then , hope this helps.

Hi Clive

Thanks for the heads-up on Bloc sunglasses, just got myself a pair of Destiny F348,s, they are excellent.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club