Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air con

bananacat

I had my aircon recharged on 2012 mk3 1.6 tdci about 3 weeks ago and they did leak test which didn't find anything. Now the air con isn't getting cold. I have called and they said to take it down, it could be the pump or a leak. 

Anyone know how much I might be looking at? 

It'll be a minor leak and I can almost guarantee they won't find it.  The Mk3s are notorious for this.

If they can find the leak, the cost will depend entirely on where it is...it could be a simple seal at a couple of quid for the part and half an hours labour, or it could be a pipe/compressor/condenser at considerably higher cost.

• Like 1

OK mate thanks 

Put nitrogen through the system, get soapy water and put on the connections etc and where it bubbles is where it leaks.

You can also push the centre of the air con compressor to make sure that's not dead also, it should spin when you're spinning the centre clutch.

Thing about car garages and air con, they do a half day course on how to operate the machine, but don't fully understand the mechanics behind how it compresses the gas to a liquid etc.

Most just also like to palm it off and blame the compressor / condenser / no gas. Just be careful new compressors can cost like £200+, so make sure they don't get it wrong. 

• Like 2

Thanks. 

I've got it booked into have a pressure test at a different garage tomorrow as ATS couldn't find the leak. It's dropped from 500 to 30 in 3 weeks so got to be a leak, the garage I have it booked into say its probably a pipe as its quite common in the mk3 

Good luck hope they find it, it's getting hotter by the day at the moment!

Most likely the condenser. 

Condenser cause lose of the gas? 

Probably, it's Infront of the radiator and subject to debris from the road damaging the condenser  causing the gas to leak out. Also the condensor seals can leak where the pipes fit. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed its not that. 

Do they still do a 'dye' test? A few years ago in my Celica had florescent dye put in the system and the A/C leak showed up in minutes. A compressor on her would have been over £1000 new, but only £60 on a used eBay one. My Merc needed a condensing radiator and a new branded Hella one was only £70. Hopefully a leaking pipe is the most straightforward, (as long as it's not under the dash). Even if it's a more 'serious' component, you'll still have inexpensive options to get you cold again...

Cheers mate that's some hope then. I'll see what they say Saturday. 

when I had mine checked last year  they diagnosed a condensor,  which I had fitted few weeks  ago but still  leaked within days. so had it re checked by someone else and they used nitrogen & found the leak in the pipe from compressor to condensor as its split.  so genuine  pipe for my mk2.5 is £130 ish,  plus fitting & re gas .

yunii 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Do they still do a 'dye' test? 

Yes.  But with such a small, slow leak on these the dye doesn't come out.  You're better off listening for the hiss of the nitrogen if you're in a quiet enough area.

• Like 1

Chris Fix over on YouTube did a few videos on fixing air con, how applicable they are in the UK I've no idea due to the refrigerants used...

• Like 1

Leak behind the dash, massive job apparently and expensive so I think I'll just open windows. They have put a leak fix thing into the system so let's hope that fixes it 

Wow, that's bad luck, that's exactly the place I said I hoped it wouldn't be as they are nearly always beyond economic repair once you need the dash out! I hope the 'leak' stuff has some positive effect for you...

Could they see or hear the leak there?  Or is it the usual MK3 Focus invisible leak so they just say it's behind the dash...? :laugh:

I tried the leak fix in mine, didn't work unfortunately.  Maybe you'll be lucky but I doubt it!

They said the sniffer could detect a slight leak inside the car. But then they said that about the condenser but the leak wasn't there 

• Like 1

I'll get a plug in fan in there 😂😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bananacat said:

I'll get a plug in fan in there 😂😂

Lol, the cars fans will still work fine if you just want loads of noise and hot air turbocharged into your face... :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club