Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New focus Vignale 1.0 auto gearbox issue

steved99

Hi all,  I have had my Focus Vignale 1.0 auto for several months now and overall it is a nice car (but not as good as the Mk3.5 IMO), but it does have a few annoying features- FordPass doesn't work occasionally and the Sync3 lock ups. But the main annoyance is the auto gearbox.... When the car is cold or been standing with engine off for a period, then I start up and move off- as it shifts up through the gears, the engine hesitates between 2nd and 3rd gear. When it does change up it is quite harsh, but after that, the rest of the gears are ok. To some extent you can control it by easing off the accelerator at that point.  Once you have been through this initial sequence it is fine.  I have had it back to the garage several times where the stock answer seems to be that it may be the way the choke electronics modifies the engine speed and gearbox changes, but its so damn hard to demonstrate it so I have lived with it.  So I was now waiting for others to report it and so force an update on the software. Has anybody out there experienced this at all? 

[The Fordpass problem- I found out that if you are in a rural area it suffers with comms problems- your phone signal  may be ok, but the cars comms is a bit erratic (where I live anyway), so not a lot you can do about that I guess. A bit disappointing]

thanks

You need to update Sync 3 yourself to solve the freezing issue, also, turn wifi off as this seems to clash with the Ford pass connect system.

The transmission has an adaptive learning system that adapts to your driving style, but it's also tried to adapt to the people who drove it before you started driving it, if possible reset this and start the learning process again, this may help.

If you are unable to do this yourself using forscan and an adapted ELM connector just ask the dealer to reset the adaptive learning system in the TCM

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I'll get Fords to do the Sync3 update as its still under warranty- is there a recent one available?... as for the gearbox I have been the one and only driver and has been like this since new. I was just wondering whether anyone else out there had the same problem or if it was only me that had  problem. I will take it back to Fords eventually, i just wanted some ammunition to take with me.

thanks again

• Like 1

My Focus 4  has latest Sync3 version for this model ie version 3.3 build 18351 . I had occasional screen freezing prior to downloading this update. Cant help  with gearbox as mine is manual . Have had both front suspension drop links replaced though as they started to creak and knock at very low speed. 

You could try selecting eco or sports mode before setting off to see if this makes any difference regarding the hesitations between 2nd and 3 gears.

I have noticed that starting from cold and pulling away normally the vehicle RPM are higher (I think about 3000rpm) before each up shift gear change. Then after a short time the rpm lowers to about 2000rpm before each up shift gear change. I will try and take notice next time but this has not caused me any problems.

I have been generally pleased with the new 8 speed auto box and I have not noticed any excessive hesitations or jerkiness in the gear changes.

Thanks for the input, coincidentally I had thought about starting off in one of the other modes to see the effect- i'll try it out. I notice you chaps have the 1.5.... Although the 1.0 125 is quite a nippy engine,  in hindsight I should have gone for the 1.5. I wonder if the engine is too small for an auto?

Most auto boxes will hold gears to higher revs when cold to help get both engine and box warmed up quicker.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club