Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk 7 possible overheat engine

__md__

Hi guys I have noticed the engine getting really hot after journey just wondering if that is the fan in the first pic and is the cooling fan supposed to come on when you put the air con on? 

IMG_20190515_192839.jpg

IMG_20190515_192845.jpg

Your condenser wouldn't transfer the heat as efficiently if it didn't have air forced through it, so yes it's supposed to happen.

What temperature is "really hot"? The surface of the sun is really hot, but so is a kettle after its been boiled...

9 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Your condenser wouldn't transfer the heat as efficiently if it didn't have air forced through it, so yes it's supposed to happen.

What temperature is "really hot"? The surface of the sun is really hot, but so is a kettle after its been boiled...

HI luke its hard to say as the mk 7 only has an external tempeture gauge but hot where if you keep your hand on it you definately feel it!

The reason i asked was beacsue I thought maybe the cooling fan has failed but when i put the air con on that fan in the first pic did spin then turn of eventaully when the air con is switched off

If the cooling fan wasnt working correctly youd soon know about it when steam starts pouring out the bonnet sat in stop/start traffic. You certainly wouldnt be able to do any town journey longer than half an hour without the cooling fan.

The engine runs at about 90 degrees C, so yeah it will be warm to the touch lol. My mk7 facelift had the temp gauge on the instrument cluster, but I believe the PFL had it in the "hidden menu". Either that or use an OBD2 scanner to monitor the temperature live.

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

If the cooling fan wasnt working correctly youd soon know about it when steam starts pouring out the bonnet sat in stop/start traffic. You certainly wouldnt be able to do any town journey longer than half an hour without the cooling fan.

The engine runs at about 90 degrees C, so yeah it will be warm to the touch lol. My mk7 facelift had the temp gauge on the instrument cluster, but I believe the PFL had it in the "hidden menu". Either that or use an OBD2 scanner to monitor the temperature live.

Thanks mate will look into the scanner and I don't think mine has a temperature gauge inside pics attached. There was a day where I could feel the heat by touching the bonnet plus could smell like a burning smell? 

IMG_20190515_215002.jpg

IMG_20190515_215023.jpg

Just out of interest, at what temperature should the fan kick in??

8 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

90 degrees i believe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

Do you suspect yours might not be working ?

5 hours ago, __md__ said:

Do you suspect yours might not be working ?

It WASNT working lol, could have either payed 250 for a new ECU or get a manual thermostat fitted for 100, so i went for that option, its basically a metal wire attached to a dial fed into the top of the radiator, i can basically set my fan to kick in at whatever temperature i like now, its currently set at 89, just wanted to make sure it was fine at that temperature

2 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

It WASNT working lol, could have either payed 250 for a new ECU or get a manual thermostat fitted for 100, so i went for that option, its basically a metal wire attached to a dial fed into the top of the radiator, i can basically set my fan to kick in at whatever temperature i like now, its currently set at 89, just wanted to make sure it was fine at that temperature

your cooling fan wasnt working? what were the signs to sugguest it wasnt?

16 hours ago, __md__ said:

your cooling fan wasnt working? what were the signs to sugguest it wasnt?

My coolant was dropping, its only something you'll ever really notice in the summer, your fan doesn't kick in hardly ever in the winter due to the cold outside temperatures, if you suspect your fan is knacked its very easy to test, open your bonnet, turn your engine on and leave it to idle until you see/hear the fan kick in, if your fan isnt working your coolant tank will start to boil over and you will see steam coming from your coolant cap (obviously turn your engine off straight away if it does that lol) be warned though, the time it takes your fan to kick in will depend massively on what season youre testing it in, so quick in the summer, a while in the winter

11 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

My coolant was dropping, its only something you'll ever really notice in the summer, your fan doesn't kick in hardly ever in the winter due to the cold outside temperatures, if you suspect your fan is knacked its very easy to test, open your bonnet, turn your engine on and leave it to idle until you see/hear the fan kick in, if your fan isnt working your coolant tank will start to boil over and you will see steam coming from your coolant cap (obviously turn your engine off straight away if it does that lol) be warned though, the time it takes your fan to kick in will depend massively on what season youre testing it in, so quick in the summer, a while in the winter

im wondering if the fiesta mk 7 has has fans, one for the air and one for cooling the engine or are they intergated into one? the reason I ask went I but the air on the big black fan turns on so if this is this the fan that also cools the engline?

12 hours ago, __md__ said:

im wondering if the fiesta mk 7 has has fans, one for the air and one for cooling the engine or are they intergated into one? the reason I ask went I but the air on the big black fan turns on so if this is this the fan that also cools the engline?

The same fan draws air through the aircon condenser and the radiator to cool the engine. 

8 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

The same fan draws air through the aircon condenser and the radiator to cool the engine. 

thanks bud! which means my cooling fan is working!