Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water loss on a zetec S

wild_one

What would be the typical places for water loss on a 2009 1.6 zetec s. I've checked the 'easy' and 'obvious' but I'm losing water from somewhere. Runs tip top, no odd st3eam from the exhaust or misfiring. No 'smell' of leaking coolant. The only thing I can't see easily is the thermostat housing. What are the likely areas

Ta!

I would also consider water pump , not efficent enough and change thermostat in case it cracks about 28 quid to buy easy replacement , but will have to drain coolant .

2 minutes ago, phil.bates said:

I would also consider water pump , not efficent enough and change thermostat in case it cracks about 28 quid to buy easy replacement , but will have to drain coolant .

Yeah, there appears to be no trace of coolant leaking around that area. No chalky deposits or 'staining' on the plastic undertray. I was hoping it might be the thermostat housing but it's really difficult to see it on this engine.

petrol or diesel?   on my previous 1.6tdci it did leak water from the plastic thermostat housing where it joined the head,  which started when it was only 2 or 3 years old. I couldn't find where it leaked until I put some radweld in it. That caused it to intermittently leak and seal. But because radweld is red it left a red streak coming down from the thermostate housing so at least that meant I identified where the problem was.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

petrol or diesel?   on my previous 1.6tdci it did leak water from the plastic thermostat housing where it joined the head,  which started when it was only 2 or 3 years old. I couldn't find where it leaked until I put some radweld in it. That caused it to intermittently leak and seal. But because radweld is red it left a red streak coming down from the thermostate housing so at least that meant I identified where the problem was.

Sorry, yes I should have said it's petrol. 2009 1.6 zetec s.

I recently had this issue, changed the coolant tank cap and bobs ya sister

11 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

I recently had this issue, changed the coolant tank cap and bobs ya sister

Thanks. By coincidence, I actually changed the cap this morning. I had the car idling for 40mins so I could see it warm up until the fan kicked in. Not a drip from anywhere? Weird?

My coolant tank was leaking slowly when very hot. Changed it and not a drop gone in months. They did also change the cap so could have been that. 

11 hours ago, wild_one said:

Thanks. By coincidence, I actually changed the cap this morning. I had the car idling for 40mins so I could see it warm up until the fan kicked in. Not a drip from anywhere? Weird?

Every chance itll be sorted now, common issue on the fiesta apparently, i was thinking all sorts of weird are horrible things could be wrong, never in a million years did i think a 3 quid cap would sort it, but it did lol

12 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

Every chance itll be sorted now, common issue on the fiesta apparently, i was thinking all sorts of weird are horrible things could be wrong, never in a million years did i think a 3 quid cap would sort it, but it did lol

Be warned! I bought a rad cap off eBay and it blew off the expansion tank when the car got up to temp. It went like a rocket and blew hot steam and water everywhere. I was working on the car at the time and only by chance had walked away. I never put my face near any expansion tank on a hot engine, and only buy rad caps from Ford

12 hours ago, wild_one said:

Be warned! I bought a rad cap off ebay and it blew off the expansion tank when the car got up to temp. It went like a rocket and blew hot steam and water everywhere. I was working on the car at the time and only by chance had walked away. I never put my face near any expansion tank on a hot engine, and only buy rad caps from Ford

well its been on for about 5 month now, and stayed on soooooo...... lol

3 hours ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

well its been on for about 5 month now, and stayed on soooooo...... lol

When those rad caps blow they go into orbit! It shot off the tank hit the bonnet and the upstairs window of my house and was never seen again. Probably on Mars!:biggrin: