Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Gear Ratios

quaffa

Hi.

Does anyone know the gear ratios for the 'All New' Fiesta Titanium 1.0 EcoBoost please, and specifically if they are different to those on a 2013 Titanium 1.0 EcoBoost?

I have the newer car, registered in December 2018, and although it has the 125ps version of the engine as opposed to the 100ps engine I had on my 2013 Fiesta, the new car seems to lack torque in fourth gear compared to the older car. (So I seem to detect the engine labouring a bit in fourth gear when in a 30mph zone, for example, whereas the 2013 car had no problem.

Assuming there isn't a problem with the engine, this would seem to suggest either that the car is heavier, (I don't think it is), or the fourth gear ratio is higher.

Anyone have any ideas please?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, quaffa said:

Anyone have any ideas please?

I think the ratios have been posted somewhere on here, but can't find it at the mo. Comparing a 6 speed with a 5 speed on the old model, of course.

I think the Mk 8 has put on up to 100kg compared to the Mk 7.5, and although I have the 140ps with lower overall gearing I find it is much happier in 3rd at 30, and much easier to keep to the limit.

37 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I find it is much happier in 3rd at 30, and much easier to keep to the limit.

Yeah, that is what I'm doing as well, but it seems counter-intuitive these days, when we're supposed to be trying to use less fuel, to run around town in a lower gear.

34 minutes ago, quaffa said:

but it seems counter-intuitive these days, when we're supposed to be trying to use less fuel, to run around town in a lower gear.

Agreed, but if the new 3rd is similar to the old 4th, it may not really be much lower anyway. The Autocar road test of the Mk 8 125 gave maximum speeds in gear as follows:

1st: 35 @ 6500 rpm

2nd: 62 @ 6500 rpm

3rd: 94 @ 6500 rpm

4th: 121 @ 6164 rpm

5th: 121 @ 4918 rpm

6th: 121 @ 4131 rpm

As you can see, like a lot of cars these days it won't pull maximum rpm in any gear after 3rd, and that third gear goes a long way.

Not to mention the costs of speed awareness courses or points will buy a good bit of petrol!😀

From the 2 test drives I’ve had in a 1.0 ecoboost 125ps recently they are longer than my 2007 1.4 fiesta. Will take a bit of getting used to once I get my car. 

• Like 1

if your fiesta is 6 speed manual , then the gear ratios are

1st :  3.417

2nd  :  1.958

3rd  :  1.276

4th  :  0.943

5th  :  0.757

6th  :  0.634

Reverse  :  3.833

Final drive  :  3.941

and if your fiesta is equipped with 6f15 6-speed auto transmission ( torque converter ) , then the gear ratios would be

1st :  4.584

2nd  :  2.964

3rd  :  1.912

4th  :  1.446

5th  :  1

6th  :  0.746

Reverse  :  2.943

Final drive  :  3.15

I'd like to add also that mine is the 100ps version with 6 speed auto transmission torque converter , and at 62 mph on 6th gear the rpm is just under 2000 , may be 1900 or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:09 PM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

if your fiesta is 6 speed manual , then the gear ratios are

Interesting. By my reckoning these produce mph/1000rpm figures of 

manual - 5.6, 9.7, 14.9, 20.2, 25.1, 30.0

auto      - 5.2, 8.0, 12.5, 16.5, 23.8, 31.97 

The difference is surprising. In manuals I find a lot cars have too wide gaps in the low gears (invariably 2 to 3) and yet have lots of closely spaced top gears. 1 & 2 are usually optimised for best 0-62 time (the motor industry still seems to think that is important, for some reason) but real world performance is compromised . Here, 3rd can do 90, for goodness sake. Intermediate ratios matter less in an auto, yet they look much closer to ideal.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, David73 said:

Interesting. By my reckoning these produce mph/1000rpm figures of 

manual - 5.6, 9.7, 14.9, 20.2, 25.1, 30.0

auto      - 5.2, 8.0, 12.5, 16.5, 23.8, 31.97 

The difference is surprising. In manuals I find a lot cars have too wide gaps in the low gears (invariably 2 to 3) and yet have lots of closely spaced top gears. 1 & 2 are usually optimised for best 0-62 time (the motor industry still seems to think that is important, for some reason) but real world performance is compromised . Here, 3rd can do 90, for goodness sake. Intermediate ratios matter less in an auto, yet they look much closer to ideal.

what is really interesting is that at 1000 rpm , the mph figures you provided for the manual is slightly higher than the auto on all gears except the 6th gear the auto is higher  😄

If you ask me , I think they should have made the auto transmission with much closer ratios than that for better mpg and performance figures since the auto has inherent mechanical and pumping losses that harm economy and performance as well, so they should have mad much closer ratios to substitute these losses

17 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

what is really interesting is that at 1000 rpm , the mph figures you provided for the manual is slightly higher than the auto on all gears except the 6th gear the auto is higher  😄

If you ask me , I think they should have made the auto transmission with much closer ratios than that for better mpg and performance figures since the auto has inherent mechanical and pumping losses that harm economy and performance as well, so they should have mad much closer ratios to substitute these losses

Old 4 speeders are definitely worse for economy on short stop-start journeys but I don't believe there is any disadvantage in usable performance. An auto can have a taller top than a manual because kick down is available.

It is frustrating to have a manual that is at the mercy of inclines, headwinds and slip streaming. One can work with the traffic to anticipate a shift down but these invisible effects can cause surprises and as it takes an age to do a "power on to power on again" change down, a shorter top is essential. 

It's possible to make guestimates (*) of real world performance (50-70mph) in the various gears (for the auto what it might be in each gear if locked) - 4th/5th/6th.

manual 8.5/11.5/15.1 seconds

auto      7.0/11.3/17.8 seconds

In 3rd, they come out about the same for 50-70, to my surprise, though 30-60 appears be much better in the auto.

(*) A model I developed for a spreadsheet so it is fairly crude. A guide only.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club